1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Rockets have declined forward Jae'Sean Tate's $1.8 million team option for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ickaruto, Jun 29, 2022.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Sorry I didn’t see he glue anybody.
    He didn’t pass the ball on the court.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I do remember seeing some of that but guess I just didn't see it often enough. I regard Tate as a player that should never have the ball.... who can't play off ball.

I feel like everything about his game has to be prefaced with "for his size" because none of it is actually that good. Being a good rebounder for someone who is 6'4 is nice.... but it's not actually being good.

He's about to be 27 and he'll be by far the worst starter on a Rockets team starting two teenagers, a 20 year old, and a 22 year old with him.

I just want more from a SF than Tate can provide.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is there an outside chance that we are actually just not keeping him at all?

4. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Obviously some reports are saying Rockets reversed course: they originally picked up the option, then denied it. Not sure how true it is, but I believe Tate is an RFA now for sure.

Whether an extension is already agreed upon, or they want him to test the market and match a reasonable offer, we’ll have to wait and see I guess.

No Worries likes this.
  5. PatBev

PatBev Member

There we go

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Let him get his money and bounce... Stone already gave him a blessing ...

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

He’s an RFA now. If some other team offers him the full MLE ( doubt it, just an example), then it’ll be foolish for us to match. Then he gone.

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Sign and trade him

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

like it or not its a clear sign they are extending him early. no way its because they're letting him walk.

not only that, I would expect between TMLE to NTMLE money for a full 4 years.

jcmoon likes this.
  10. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

No, he's not. He's a sieve on defense that fouls a **** ton. He's a JAG, and you drafted players with way the **** more upside with higher floors as well.

BHannes2BHonest and PeterKingX like this.
  11. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

We shouldn’t be extending Tate regardless though. Can’t shoot, undersized, and not on our timeline. He’s gonna clog playing time with Gordon. There’s got to be more to it all though. I’ll reserve judgment once the dirt settles.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Yeah, and maybe when that happens where are going to find out Stone super amazing because he will match. Unfortunately.

13. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

if he gets a big offer one can infer he would have gotten an even bigger one next year. if it's too big we let him walk, and the loss is 1 year of tate. it's a pretty limited downside once you game it all out.

snowconeman22 and No Worries like this.
  14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

No, the max raise/decrease between years of the contract is 8% of the first year salary.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q53

#154 aelliott, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    rfrocket and No Worries like this.
  15. hahachui

hahachui Member

Don’t think other team sign Tate with a good deal.
    Best defender in a worst defensive team lol?

I think the contract is around 4-6M per year for 3 years

Zen Tabak likes this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

17. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I would rather give the money and playing time to KMJ.

Tillman, just stop wasting your money.

rpr52121 likes this.
  18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Tate is alright and definitely a glue guy, but he wants to get paid. Given the league he will probably get overpaid for what he would give the rockets, and then they would overvalue him way to much after that contract to trade him when they should.

19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

We need to jettison his ass

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's my guess on why they declined Tate's option. It's total conjecture on my part and I'm just making up numbers to demonstrate. If Tate's actual value is higher or lower than what I use then you can adjust the number but the logic is still the same.

Tate was due to make $1.8M next season.

Let's say that Tate's market value is $8M ( No real logic behind this number, Nwaba makes $5M so I just picked a number higher than that).

That would mean that over the next 4 years Tate would make $25.8M ($1.8M + $8M + $8M + $8M). I'm ignoring the 8% raises each year because it makes the math simpler and I'm lazy.

So, let's say that Tate and the Rockets have agreed that in return for letting him out of his deal a year early, he'll sign a 4 year deal for $6.5M/year ($26M total).

Tate ends up making just slightly more over the next 4 years and he eliminates the risk of getting injured before he can sign a new contract next year. He gets paid immediately.

From the Rockets perspective, they'd have Tate signed to a team friendly deal. They can either keep him or they can trade him later. If they do trade him, he's likely more attractive to other teams because he's locked up for up to 4 years (depending on when they'd trade him) and he's being paid under his market value. He'd also have a higher salary so that the Rockets would have the ability to receive much more in return for him when matching salaries (this assumes you trade him this year).

As I said, I don't have a good handle on Tate's market value. If it's higher then he wouldn't even have to have worked out a deal. Because he's an Arenas free agent, the most any team can offer him is the MLE which I believe is $10M. If his market value was $10M or higher, then Houston could simply make him a restricted FA and then either work out a deal or simply match any deal that he agrees to.

That's my best guess as to what they are doing. Looks like OKC is doing the exact same thing with Dort.

#160 aelliott, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022