1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. raining threes

Thanks Jeff Luhnow

2. raining threes

They should be.

Genius level people dont fall off of trees.

3. Buck Turgidson

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

Congrats to Mark Appel for finally making an appearance in the big leagues. Only took 9 years.

1 innings, 1 hit, 1 k

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. msn

msn Member

Happy for Mark Appel. I wish him all the best unless he pitches against H-town.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Appel hitting 97 with sink.

Certainly has a shot to stick as a reliever… not sure what his other pitches are looking like, and whether or not he has the stuff/stamina to consider starting again, but there’s still not a lot of miles on that arm and he’s only 30.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I wish Appel nothing but the best, no hard feelings whatsoever.

Having said that, being brutally honest he just doesn't seem like a mentally strong person. Maybe the time away has given him perspective and he will be able to roll with struggles, but unless he's a mop up guy you are inevitably gonna have some "wanna crawl in a hole" f**k ups as a reliever, and you have to shake them off.

Nook likes this.
  9. HeyBudLetsParty

Horrible take, I’m sure many big leaguers have had mental health issues not as heavily publicized. One being hall of famer, Zach Greinke.

10. jayfree

jayfree Member

Saying that someone going through mental issues may not be a mentally strong person is no different than saying a skinny basketball player may not be strong enough to hold his ground. You have it or you don't and if your mind keeps you from being better than you may not have it. Simple as that.

11. jayfree

jayfree Member

Brooks Raley is on the injured list now, but the dude has pitched in 24+ innings with a 2.22 ERA this year for the Rays.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Which is ironic because he was "mentally strong" enough to refuse first round money, bet on himself to excel another year at Stanford (and not get injured), and still ended up being the #1 overall pick.

I'd also say its highly likely that individuals mature from a mental standpoint between ages 21-23... and age 30. And hell, people continue to mature mentally well beyond that.

The accounts of Appel's rude awakening to the minors is well documented. Lost all confidence, got hurt, never got it back. His stuff/arm seem sound and if he's retiring major leaguers with regularity, won't take long to re-gain confidence. Ultimately he'll be as good (or not as good) as his secondary stuff and his health allows him to.

13. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Same. Happy for the dude. Long road to get to that point, hoping he sticks around.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No...he is on the "I'm not vaccinated so I can't play in Toronto" list

Also, he was on the "I'm not wearing the gay pride logo on my hat or uniform because I'm a douche" list.

Nook, cmlmel77, JeeberD and 3 others like this.
  15. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

So people that hold religious beliefs are douches? How does this make you any better?

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The guys that decided not to wear the hats issued a statement that was not well received about their reasoning why. I'll be happy to discuss this further in the D&D section.

Nook, cmlmel77 and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Not well received by bigots like you? But it is okay, I feel no need to discuss it further

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would argue that it's those that refuse to wear the hats, and those that support their reasoning and ideals that are the bigots.

But I too have no reason to discuss it further.

cmlmel77 and bobrek like this.
  19. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Zakhem! GOT EM. Douche confirmed for those players.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

D, D&D material. Dumb, Dumber and Douchbags. It doesn't belong in a BASEBALL thread. Even though MLB itself belongs in the D,D & D Thread.