1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs vs Rockets Rebuild/Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xaos, Jan 26, 2022.

?

Which Team Will Be a Top 4 Team in the West - Considering 'Rebuild Timeline'

1. Rockets

84.9%
  2. Spurs

15.1%
  1. xaos

xaos Member

Just saw this:

Haha

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

John Stockton played the game the right way now he's running around saying there's microchips in vaccines causing NBA players to drop dead and COVID is a hoax

3. xaos

xaos Member

Not sure what this has to do with Pop's basketball opinion on basketball stuff

4. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

D Murray is an absolute stud

Corrosion and xaos like this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

No doubt. He's been getting a lot more attention lately, but still feels very underrated.

Corrosion and palmsnbananas like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Dallas, Boston, Houston, Chicago & Atlanta are probably the top tier of secondary markets with LA, SF & NYC being the top tier with everyone else looking up at the top third in almost every aspect.

I kinda think the current Rockets team compares to Boston before their back to back #3 picks and despite the fact that we picked #2 in the last draft.

Boston came out of those two drafts with two really talented players .... we should be so lucky.

Where I think we are ahead of the curve is that we have a very good group of young players to put around a star of just about any position and we'd have few holes and a couple of those have some star potential themselves and most of them are quality defenders - which sounds strange for a team that is so bad defensively. I blame most of that on CWood flat out refusing to play like a big man.
    I'm coming around to the idea of playing him as a 3 / wing and finding another big that compliments him. He's at least competent as a perimeter defender,

If so, I'd hope Stone in on the phone, checking the tires ....

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Good take. My preference is to trade Wood, but if not then lets give him a try at SF with Sengun and Theis at center this year and get a real big in the draft or through trade for next year. If you can get Devonte you do it, as long as you don’t give up our 2022 pick or Sengun to do it.

8. xaos

xaos Member

Spurs finally deciding to go the 'tanking' route with Wemby and Scoot in the draft.

Murray is an excellent player... if we do decide to accelerate our rebuild and forego the chance at Scoot/Wemby (28% chance as a bottom 3) Murray would be intriguing. He is everything KPJ has potential to be without the erratic stuff. That being said, a core of Green/Smith/Wemby or Scoot is a multi championship team in the future imo.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

Spurs have entered the chat

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ask this question again after Spurs acquire Wembanyana in 2023 draft.

BallSoHarden and RasaqBoi like this.
  11. xaos

xaos Member

Then they will get a generational talent to build around and that's the #1 best way to build a championship team followed by the next best way which is acquire multiple top 20 guys - both ways are by any means necessary (draft/trade/sign).

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How come its "only a 14% chance at the #1 pick at best" for all teams but for the Spurs its after they acquire him?

Is he got some kind of Tony Parker helped gonna force his way to the Spurs scenario? That's not happening. If he's the generational talent everyone says he is - tbd imo, his stats don't exactly blow you away Victor Wembanyama International Stats | Basketball-Reference.com (but i get its not just a pure stats thing with young Euro players like this) - than whomever gets #1 will pick him regardless. Also, them being the Spurs, they're likely to squeak out more wins than management probably wants.

xaos likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Because sports like life isn't fair.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

folks who wanted chet, Wemby made him his btch and he's younger.

15. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

@D-rock still in love with Chet.

16. JayZ750

yes I’m aware as everyone is of that game. I think hes got real potential to be that generational player for sure… I’m just not willing to crown him just yet lol.

also this is a good example of how highlights and stats aren’t full games. That was all of his points and 2 buckets were with Holmgren guarding him.

Holmgren was that tourney MVP. His team won the game and the gold. He also was instrumental in that as he “turned it on in the 4th”, including drawing Wembys 4th foul causing him to sit and when he went back in the game he quickly fouled out.

Chet obviously needs to learn to show on the court that mentality that makes him think he can be the best in the nba. He says these things but often defers on the court to his teammates. Maybe that’ll change maybe not. I’m not fully sold either way.

Luka was more generational a talent imo - which makes 2 teams passing on him and the 3rd team trading him away all the more confusing. Kid was dominating euro all as a 16/17 year old.

#56 JayZ750, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  17. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Looks like the Spurs are all in on tanking this year with Murray gone.

From Duncan to Leonard to Wembanyama

BallSoHarden and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do you understand how many assets Spurs have accumulated?

Same with Thunder.

It's not about preferring Chet over Wembanyana, it's about calculating the odds and understanding that the numbers are not in our favor.

Bird in the hand ...

19. JayZ750

Was this response for me? Spurs have as many firsts in 2023, the year Victor comes out, as the Rockets do. Also the guy is wrong with his pick total - swaps do not equal an extra pick. Also I think the extra 2nd round picks... kind of a great, but who cares. TWolves just had to use 2 to move up from 29 to 26 - great that they have them and were able to do what they wanted, but whatever. Somewhat in the same vein, the Thunder had to shed 3 frp to grab one in this "weak" draft. But indeed, they weren't the strongest frps given the protections, and the Thunder had them and could use them.

But ultimately... don't get me wrong i ABSOLUTELY get the value of picks and ESPECIALLY unprotected FRPs... but when everyone was freaking out about the Kyrie situation a few days ago, i was saying slow your roll. I think the Rockets WILL indeed ultimately get good/great value for those picks. But its a bit of a wait and see.

And, ofc, MOST IMPORTANTLY, even if theirs, OKCs, Spurs turn into great picks, then you have to pick the right players. AND, then once you do, you CAN'T wait another 4-5 years to get good. Especially once you have "that" guy. Cause the perpetual mediocrity or worse train makes those guys you draft pissed off and they leave.

The Spurs have a lot of swings they can take coming up... they've historically been a well run, solid drafting organization.

D-rock and xaos like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

First, there are literally only 2 plays where Chet is guarding Wemby. Wemby had a good game, so did Chet. The tournament MVP was Chet.

Also, while Wemby is extremely gifted, he’s also super skinny and is already injury prone.
    He has better feet than Chet in short areas but Chet is faster and more explosive leaping.

All the same concerns people were throwing out for Chet need to be there for Wemby, he actually is injury prone.