1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Rockets have declined forward Jae'Sean Tate's $1.8 million team option for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ickaruto, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His "finishing at the rim" is almost exclusively put backs or open layups, it's not something he can create or the team can count on.

If he happens to get a lot of opportunities for put backs or open layups, he'll score, if not he's a wasted roster spot on that side of the ball... basically a PJ Tucker that can't shoot.

Anyway, since we're keeping him, I'll hope to be wrong about him.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don't understand these posts acting like Tate was somehow massively different last season. His shots-per-game were nearly identical across the two seasons.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No it's not like a PJ Tucker who can't shoot lol . PJ is a career 57% finisher at the rim with it being only 27% of his FGA's. Not comparable to Tate's 70% on 40% of FGA's.

Tate clearly has a MUCH better handle (and footwork) than PJ, let me know when we see PJ going full court at a full speed finishing through multiple defenders with crossovers and spins because Tate did so often.

VoR, luckyman76, Nook and 5 others like this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m very confused. Did they exercise the team option or not? If they did, what’s the big deal they can still either keep him, extend him, or trade him. It doesn’t really seem to mean anything to me or maybe I’m just out of it today.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I somewhat agree with this. Tate was frustrating but I put 75% the blame on Silas coaching and rotations. I'm very certain Silas was the one who was stupidly empowering him to do more than he can could/should.

PWR likes this.
  6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Tate deserves to get paid more than what he got last year! How much more, well that’s what Stone needs to decide, that’s what he gets paid to do. Until we find out more info on his new deal, we should all Dilly-Dilly…

Go Rockets!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

snowconeman22 and RasaqBoi like this.
  7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You always are. Good kid and ok if we keep him.

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Rockets are doing this for one reason. Gordon is getting dealt, the rest of the players are on broke deals…. Tate is old enough to be our kids sugar daddy when they play in La / Miami

luckyman76, Nook and King1 like this.
  9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

He was the same. He can be a ball stopper at times as well. Needs to improve his three point shooting because he takes way too many for a guy that can't really shoot

10. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I bet 4 years 26 millions

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

PJ was nails from the corner 3 and tremendous on defense. Tate is better at finishing around the rim, but can’t really guard 4’s or 5’s or rebound efficiently for a 4/5 and can’t shoot good enough for a 3.

No Worries likes this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We have to look like we're signing SOMEbody this offseason.

Hopefully no more big minutes for him at the 4.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agree with this would much rather have Tucker’s skill set especially considering that Tate is a 3. SFs need to be long 3D guys not undersized who are good at the rim for layups and can’t be counted on for a corner trey.

Put Tate on the Sixers or Miami off the bench as a hustle energy guy who can get buckets and that would make sense. He’s not a starter.

14. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

The only way this makes sense is …

- Tates 3 ball is now 40%
    - The org continuing good will to our players for rep
    - Tates salary will now be a better number to aggregate/ match in a trade

other than that, this may be another terrible move (fa signing) in Rafas tenure. He has validated high grades with the draft and now trades, but free agency still has a poor track record.

this is like extending Nwaba to me. :eek:

Phillyrocket and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. VoR

VoR Member

you say this like the team expected to win.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Rox_fan_here likes this.
  17. mightybosstone

I don't love this move because I don't think Tate is the best long-term option to start at SF. But I do think Tate generally plays a winning brand of basketball and is the kind of guy who makes for a good seventh or eighth guy on a playoff rotation.

If they can sign him to a reasonable deal, and the front office is willing to see him in more of a bench role in the long-term, I'm good with it.

tehG l i d e likes this.
  18. a time to chill

I think the Rockets will let him walk. We got too many players at the forward position. I like Tate, but I don't think he's a key piece of the rebuild going forward.

No Worries likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I care almost zero about what they with him. And that’s not saying anything about Tate it’s just where the current rockets are whether they need him, etc.

Sign him to a fair deal? Great!
    Let him walk? Fine.

Overpay? Ok that I would care about. Hell no.

20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Guess this means KJM is gone or they have come to some sort of agreement.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.