1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair I feel the same way. I am looking at it as a greener alternative and not to save money. so it’ll take a while to repay itself assuming energy rates stay the same (I assume they will likely keep going up though). I went with SunRun

cheke64 likes this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Electric cars are just another way to deplete earth’s resources..
    Want to save the earth? Find a way to switch from personal cars as primary mode of moving around..

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Stay home. Worked well during covid

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

You lack reading comprehension.
    Never said to stay at home, did I? 7 million people in this city using cars as primary mode of transportation with no plans to switch to something else anytime..

5. Space Ghost

What are they suppose to switch to? Bicycles?

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Na. Unicycles.

Well I'll be damned. Found a new other ones used in other parts of the world..

Public transport modes include city buses, trolleybuses, trams (or light rail) and passenger trains, rapid transit (metro/subway/underground, etc.) and ferries.

Other modes: walking/biking/motorcycles etc.

#986 Sajan, Jun 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  7. Space Ghost

I agree with your premise. However there are multiple factors that keep people from giving up their personal vehicles. One of the biggest factors is people simply do not want to part from their personal vehicles and instead go in the opposite direction by driving over sized vehicles.

Energy storage is a massive technological barrier. If our species is going to advance, we need to find more efficient sources of energy and much better ways of storing it. We are not going to discover these technologies if we sit around waiting for a super human to discover it for us. Resorting to mass transit or decades old technology is simply not a solution.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

How many more cars do you think we can introduce onto the Houston streets and freeways? Can we double it? Would it matter if all those cars were EV? I am all for EV if we just want to crawl 2mph on 610 for the next 100 years..
    Maybe if every single car was replaced by full self-driving cars...how long do you think it will take folks making 10 bucks an hour to replace their 20 year beater with self-driving cars?

9. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Put down a preorder for 2024 Lyriq, which should give me some time to see some real reviews as well as closer to when I would want to refresh to a new car.

Car seems to check off all my boxes, 300mi range, kinda bargain for the features, as well as Google auto.

It'll be my first American branded car, but hoping the simplicity of EVs, that it might be somewhat reliable. If other companies release something more attractive, I might reconsider.

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

[​IMG]

Sajan likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I'm wary of GM ICE vehicles, so I'm wary of their EVs until proven otherwise. I'm looking more for a small SUV or sedan, too, and yeah, like I've said in the past, the range is the big negative for me right now. Of course, while I have no problems trusting a Toyota/Lexus ICE vehicle, even their new EVs are having issues. I thought I just read something a few days ago about wheels potentially flying off them or something. lol. :D

I do kind of like the Lyriq interior, though. I may go check one out eventually, but probably wait a year or three to see how real-world range is and how the car holds up.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

ATXNekko likes this.
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

fSD. blah blah.

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Car use and the viability of public transportation and traditional/electric bicycles is directly tied to land use planning and we're not going to tackle that anytime soon, so EVs it is.

ryan_98 and SamFisher like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Did he pay for that option? I think it's only on the Plaid.

Curious how or what eventually stopped the car. The worst part is the near-one month wait to get the problem diagnosed. Damn!

16. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so when do people predict when EV might drop to a more respectable price? 25-30k? couple years?

17. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems unlikely. The average new car price (conventional and electric) is close to $46,000 in 2022. In 2018, Musk wanted the Model 3 to sell for $35k and eventually lower, now the sticker is over $45k. There's certainly more EV manufacturer competition but price drops haven't followed. Demand, inflation, supply chain issues, and other cost increases all go in to the higher price point.

Maybe someone a little more attuned to the EV market has a better prediction, but to me it doesn't look like we'll get sub $30k EVs for a long time.

18. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i mean i get the demand for teslas have been through the roof, so they've jacked the price for a model 3...but thats bound to taper off once more competition right?

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

The Nissan Leaf is already in that range. Chevy Bolt is just above. But with the income tax credit, they should both be in or below that range.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

nice will look at. thanks