1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Feigen: Rockets turn attention to centers in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 18, 2022.

1. TheBeastSystem

signed

Draymond Green (6'7")

SMH

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  2. TheBeastSystem

harty would be great. modern switching big with great rim protection and still developing a 3-ball stroke. give him 3/30 or 3/25 if possible, non-guaranteed seasons in yrs 2 and 3. That's a value contract, escapable, and if he plays well he turns into a tradeable asset to a contender for a first round pick.

seriously doubt we give any free agent big a contract with more than one season guaranteed....unless he's super cheap.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

OK, we will just sign him instead, mkay?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

(Kelly Iko’s) Free Agency Big Board
    Mo Bamba
    Isaiah Hartenstein
    Gorgui Dieng
    Andre Drummond
    Rajon Rondo
    Javale McGee
    Kevin Knox
    Thomas Bryant
    Isaac Bonga
    Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot
    Hassan Whiteside
    Bismack Biyombo

• I’ve identified Orlando’s Mo Bamba as my top target for Houston in free agency. I think the writing is on the wall for Bamba with the Magic. His jersey number, 5, has already been given to Paolo Banchero, the first overall pick. Wendell Carter recently signed an extension. There’s already a ton of length in Orlando’s front court. Adding Bamba to next season’s group, that looks crowded as is, is tricky. At 24, Bamba still fits Houston’s youthful timeline. He was a surprisingly effective floor spacer this past season, shooting an impressive 38.1 percent from behind the arc on four attempts per game. His rim protection is iffy at times but he’s still developing and was better than anyone on Houston’s roster in that area last season (although that isn’t saying a whole lot). Bamba is already generating interest from a slew of teams ahead of Thursday’s free agency — with Houston, Chicago and Orlando among them, sources said.

• Ditto with Hartenstein. Credit to him; he was essentially discarded by Houston a few seasons ago, made stops in Denver and Cleveland before really taking strides with the Clippers this past season. Like Bamba, a number of teams have expressed interest in the 24-year-old — Houston included — who is also open to a return to the Clippers, but with Wall headed there for what figures to be a good chunk of their mid-level exception — and Ivica Zubac reportedly inking a $33 million extension, running it back looks a bit more complex. Hartenstein would fit well with this current Rockets team, being able to function as a rim-runner, passer, rim protector and also space the floor. He could have easily been the top overall target on our big board.

• Rajon Rondo’s inclusion is akin to a football team bringing in a veteran backup quarterback. The Rockets did something similar to this with D.J. Augustin last season, but he wasn’t that effective when he stepped on the floor. With point guards like Kevin Porter Jr., Daishen Nix, TyTy Washington (and Josh Christopher, if you want to lump him in), there isn’t a whole ton of experience in that crop. Rondo would be a welcome addition, bringing expertise, floor general knowledge and overall basketball IQ to young players eager to learn the game quickly.

• I’m all for taking fliers on projects like Kevin Knox and Isaac Bonga. In our last mock before the draft, I said Houston should have drafted Nikola Jovic at the end of the first round. I think Knox still is an interesting player who can score in different ways and has legit size. I just think he needs to be in an environment that is all-in on development. Both Knox and Bonga are only 22 years old, oddly enough, which should sound good to Houston’s ears. Bonga’s length alone should be intriguing, as a switchable defender, and although his outside jumper seems to have deserted him recently, I still think a smart team can get him back closer to the 35 percent he shot from three two seasons ago. The Rockets are in a good spot to take chances on unknowns like Knox and Bonga.

• I’m not sure if Andre Drummond or Javale McGee would be open to helping a rebuilding team, but there’s no denying they would instantly bring a mountain of help on the glass (26.2 rebounding rate for Drummond, 22.9 for McGee) and overall rim protection. If you remember, the Rockets met with McGee during the summer of 2019 in hopes of signing him. There’s still some level of interest now, but McGee might be smart to see what happens with the Suns and Deandre Ayton.

• My sneaky free agency pick, however, is Gorgui Dieng. I’ve always felt Dieng did just enough. He can space the floor well. He doesn’t take a whole bunch of threes but he can make them, shooting 42.6 percent from deep this season and 36.7 for his career. Dieng has solid size, underrated strength and knows how to move his feet well and defend in space. Houston likes him. I don’t think he has a real future with the Hawks behind Clint Capela and Onyeka Okongwu, but I think he would fit well behind Sengun in Houston. He’s also 32, bringing a good amount of veteran experience and smarts. Again, just my two cents.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Probably not right out of the gate, but I'm pretty sure the Rockets, to a lot of fans dismay, will try Eason out with some minutes as a small ball 5.

No Worries likes this.
  6. conquistador#11

From that list:
    Bamba nights at toyota center!
    Hartenstein, I never wanted the Rox to quit him. Those are my 2.

Why isn't Claxton on there?

7. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I believe Claxton is going back to Brooklyn per reports

8. csc177

csc177 Member

Is he a rim protector though?

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Somebody's been doing too many edibles.

Letting Rondo (known as a temperamental hothead) anywhere near KPJ is a recipe for disaster.

There are other veteran PGs that can serve the same leadership purpose without the danger of spontaneous locker room combustion.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Imagine if Porter beats Rondo in a Connect Four game.

11. Denovo

Denovo Member

Didn’t Rondo recently pull a gun on his baby mother in front of their kids?

Definitely don’t want him anywhere near KPJ.

Drift Monkey, jch1911, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

but we have John Lucas here. He helps all nba crackheads and killasssss.

13. dmoneybangbang

It less the height than the lack of skill.

14. dmoneybangbang

He's really the only center I'd consider signing since he has some pretty decent upside.

15. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

if we sign Rondo we have issues signing vets who have issues off the court pretty sure Rondo pulled a gun on his wife this off season.

Drift Monkey, jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  16. Rokman

Rokman Member

I say we go all out for Bam Bamba Biyombo. He good.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hey man, there's 2 sides to every story

maybe she pulled a gun on him first?

18. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Why would Claxton leave a team that could win the championship if everyone on the same page(and he is starting IIRC) for a team where he is a back up and we are a lottery team?

19. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

we just got rid of Wood and from what was told to us from an insider Schröder was causing issues to inside the locker room, bring rondo in right after getting rid of two locker room is a sign of a badly run FO/team. I think Augustin was great for the team to have around seem like a really good vet and pro to have around the team.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Who Said Schroder was causing problems in the lockeroom?