1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Feigen: Rockets turn attention to centers in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I see Garuba as more a 4/5.

slothy420, Drift Monkey and eman like this.
  2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Overpay to be a backup?

JamalP. and fckbandwagons like this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I see him more as a 5

I don't see how he fits as a 4 unless he develops some of his auxiliary skills... needs to be a better shooter or passer or driver (or something) if he wants to get on the court in the 4 spot. For now he's pretty much a small-ball 5 who can guard the perimeter and provide (limited) vertical spacing on the PnR. There's not a lot to like (yet) - but give him more exposure at RGV this year and see what comes of it

4. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

We need size. Tate as backup PF and Garuba as backup C doesn't work for me. Would like to see Smith, Eason, KJ, and Garuba work as our SFs/PFs with Sengun and Hartenstein playing C. Trade Tate - he's 26 and due for a raise.

ak99999 likes this.
  5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Surely an overpay!!

The most the Clippers could give Harty is 2.27mill (I think?) unless they use their taxpayer MLE (5.7mill?).

I wouldn't want to pay him more than the bi-annual exception (4mill).
    I'd rather offer it to Thomas Bryant first though... I dunno

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

My guess is on Hartenstein. He spends his off season in Houston.

Drift Monkey and clos4life like this.
  7. PeppermintCandy

His last contract gave him around 1.7M per year. He's definitely due a raise, though I'm not sure he'll get a 5-6M bump.

I like Hartenstein too, and he'd be a great fit for this team. And since Sengun is probably not ready for big minutes yet, he'll probably get plenty of playing time.

On the other hand, if he can get similar money from a contending team like the Clippers, I'd think that's where he'd prefer to go.

clos4life likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

maintenance no reason to give T-Rex nothing over $3 mil a year lol

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn a 7'2 wingspan is T-rex arms?

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I see him exactly the same. good as a small ball, switch everything, 5. if he develops a 3 ball then I think he can play the 4.

however, I also think jabari will play the small ball switch everything 5, and play it better on both ends than garuba. Eason also fills the need for a switch everything 4 who can hit the 3. garuba's path to the rotation hit a major road block on draft night.

if the rockets are in fact looking to use the MLE on a center, it will likely be someone who gives us something sengun and jabari can't... great size and verticality for lobs, blocks, and rebounds. and if that's the way they go, I don't see a role for garuba going forward.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes - I like your thinking. Seems we are in sync. Let's see how it pans out! Hopefully we find an affordable vertical spacer

I am also very open to trading Sengun for a great return.

smoothie likes this.
  12. csc177

csc177 Member

Bamba it is.

larry cook likes this.
  13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Bamba, Claxton, Hartenstein, Jalen Smith...

I still want sengun to get a chance at starting this season. I'm not sure Bamba will settle for a backup role again. the other guys will be happy to have consistent rotation minutes.

Drift Monkey and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What's up with Big O in Atlanta? They keep him buried in the bench.

Drift Monkey, Rudyc281 and sirjesse like this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Clearly it’s going to be Hartenstein assuming he is down with the youth movement.

Drift Monkey and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

There will forever be one and only big O

upload_2022-6-28_19-51-13.jpeg

17. Rokman

Rokman Member

I see Sengun more as a traditional 4 than as a 5. I can see Jabari working well at the 3 due to his ability to hit the 3-Ball. I wish we could have picked up Duren or Williams (More so Williams) in the draft to play more of the traditional 5 but what the hell am I talking about??? This isn't 90's ball anymore. It's get 5 guys who can run, hit the 3, pass and play D. That's Jabari, Tari. . . . . who else can play the D? Green isn't great and neither is KPJ. Sengun is alright but foul prone. Seems to me like maybe the best roster would be to have 5 guys 6'8"+ who can play 3&D on all 5 positions and roll them out there for 48 min.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone that wants Brainless Bamba in here to supplant Alperen f'ing Sengun deserves to have the Spanish inquisition SPRING UPON THEM.

Back to your joystick dick cheese!

Literally, Patty Fertitta runs circles around your basketball IQ! o_O:D

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The MLE is probably the most he gets - the Clippers we’re likely going to offer that to him before Wall threw his hat into the ring. We have money in our cap to give him at least that amount and since we aren’t paying Sengun/Jabari yet, he just becomes the understudy/insurance who’s contract runs out right around the time those guys start looking for their first big raise. Seems like a no brainer to me…

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The kid from FSU or Kai Sotto.

DD

Timein and fckbandwagons like this.