1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach buyout agreement with John Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 27, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

"Gimp our future"

Our future:
    Carmelo Anthony
    James Ennis
    Trevor Ariza
    Ryan Anderson
    Luc Mbah a Moute
    Tarik Black
    Nene
    Ken Faried
    Joe Johnson
    Austin Rivers
    Jeff Green
    Iman Shumpert
    Ben Mclemore
    Sterling Brown
    Demarre Carroll
    Chris Clemons
    Kelly Olynyk
    Demarcus Cousins

Closest i could find you could argue without a laugh...

Capela
    Hartenstein
    Zhou Qi

BigShasta likes this.
  2. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Rockets continue to do right by their veteran players. Harden traded to Nets (was supposed to contend for a title), PJ Tucker traded to Bucks (won a championship), Victor Oladipo traded to Miami (conference finals), Christian Wood to Dallas (great situation for him, nearby city) and released Wall so he can sign wherever he wants. When players are happy their agents are happy. This will help them with trades and free agent signings in the future.

HorryForThree, PatBev and FLASH21 like this.
  3. the shark

the shark Member

I understand what you're saying but he had to come up with FORTY million to buy him out. Does a cheap owner do this? Sure he saved some $ but forty mil is still a lot of jack. So I'm just asking.

BigShasta likes this.
  4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This has no impact on cap room, either this year or next. It just saves the team some money.

All in all, hard to argue with this move happening now. Doubtful they could've gotten anything for Wall. Meanwhile, they do right by their player and further bolster the franchise's image as a player-friendly venue for potential future free agents.

Le$$, kjayp, Williamson and 1 other person like this.
  5. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Tillman was going to pay it anyway and doing it now saved him money. I wouldn't call someone who recently bought a $150 million yacht cheap though. lol

apollo33 and Zen Tabak like this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This, whether we buy him out, let his contract expire, or trade it for smaller ECs back, that money was going to come out of our pocket regardless some way, some how. Since Tilman took over, we have actually mostly catered to the asks of almost all our departing players. At the very least, we have made sure to send them to contenders outside of CP3.

7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Don't forget Demarcus Cousins - guaranteeing his season salary when he was released.

BasketballMind, Dubious and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. the shark

the shark Member

So again I ask does a "cheap" owner do these types of things?

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Does that mean Mia Khalifa is no longer a Rockets fan?

[​IMG]

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tilman stans r disgusting.

Poor ass owner talks all that sht about doing whatever it took to do to win a ring with Harden, refuses to use his wallet like the GSW owner does.

We all know he wanted to tank all along, it's cheaper.

Lets hope that he would open his dam wallet next time we have another champion caliber team.

Spending money on personal things like 150 mil yacht, but doesn't invest in the Rockets training area.
    that sht small as fk.

11. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

If Wall really gets the full taxpayer midlevel from the Clippers, its pretty hard to argue that him sitting out a year didn't work out about as perfectly as possible for both sides. I tend to feel like once you go the route of a mid-season buyout/vet-min signing, it gets really hard to ever get back to the level of being able to market yourself as a MLE-level role player. Most of the guys who have played really well in that capacity for the Rockets like Jeff Green, Josh Smith, and Austin Rivers, whom I expected to get paid a lot more after rebuilding their value, ended up bouncing around on vet-mins for years.

Instead, Wall might have actually increased his value over the year by being a good soldier and consenting to sit out. Getting a 1-year full mid-level this year gives him a nice salary floor where there's a path for the Clippers to conceivably retain him with a non-bird 1-year deal the year after at ~$7.8M, and which would also give him trade veto power to ensure he isn't the subject of endless trade rumors as a medium-sized expiring.

Maybe you or Clutch knows more, but I'd assume that there wasn't this same full non-taxpayer MLE out there for Wall last summer, otherwise the Rockets would have gladly worked this buyout and probably saved even more, similar to Kemba Walker's. It's actually pretty eerie how close their stats were in '20-'21; both were 20ppg scores playing about 32 mpg over 40-odd games during their age 30 seasons...

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Would it be possible if they could use the money saved to get rid of the sawdust floor in the practice gym and get a wood floor? Asking for some of your fellow Clutchfan members.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Is this how it works? I don’t think it matters what he gets paid to the Rockets. We take the cap hit on his full contract and Fertilizer pays the buyout amount no matter what. He could sign for 20m and it would have no effect on the Rockets (I think).

14. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Does this change our cap space for FA this summer?

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Disgusting Remarks ! Y

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Farewell to the most amazing person Stone had ever met.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No.

19. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Houston would take the cap hit on the value of the buyout, so around $41M. Technically, when a player is waived and signs a new contract, his original team is allowed to reduce their cap hit and the salary paid by one-half of the difference between the vet minimum and his new contract. So if Wall signed for $6.5M, then the Rockets could deduct $1.81M from what they owed him and their salary cap ($6.5M - $2.87M)/2. If he signed for $20M, they could deduct $8.57M.

SOURCE

The caveat is that virtually every buyout agreement waives the right of set-off to provide certainty to both the team and the player. Only back when the NBA was offering the Amnesty Clause, where one contract could be waived and not counted towards the luxury tax, did this really come into play. Josh Smith being waived from the Pistons with no buyout was also an example where the Pistons saved about $600k when the Rockets used the Bi-Annual Exception.

JOSH SMITH
    ANDRAY BLATCHE

Most high profile buyouts pretty conveniently match the savings with whatever contract that the player can get on the free market, making them whole. So Kemba gave up $20M, because he knew he could get $18M from the Knicks. Wall is giving up $6.5M this season, which conveniently matches the taxpayer MLE. If he looked around last summer and couldn't get a similar deal, I doubt he was going to be willing to give back as much to the Rockets and take a paycut. By sitting out, Wall gets a higher base for his new contract, he doesn't have to give back any total salary this year, and the Rockets pay him slightly less. Seems like a good piece of business all around to me.

glimmertwins likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Thanks for this. In simple terms it makes no difference to the Rockets what he signs for at this point.

HI Mana likes this.