1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. Non series talk goes somewhere else. No PBP, that can be found from other sources if you need it. All games are broadcast on AT&T Sports SW unless otherwise noted.

6-28 Framber Valdez (L) vs. Carlos Carrasco (R) 6:10 TBS (out-of-market only)

6-29 Justin Verlander (R) vs. TBD 12:10 MLBN (out-of-market only)

Stephen66 likes this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

WW

Muck the Fets

Stephen66 likes this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Can we all agree that Hunter Brown has very little to prove in AAA while he has guys missing his off speed by 6 inches?

Got to see him pitch live the other day. His stuff is too good. Semi deceptive windup too, so guys were very late.

It reminds me of when I got to see baby McCullers in AA in San Antonio when he was clocking in around 1 hundo and his knuckle curve had guys looking like Frazier vs Verlander in the 19' playoffs.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Probably but no place for him on the MLB roster. Who you going to have him replace? The guy that threw 7 no hit innings against the Yankees or the guy that threw 7 innings with 1 hit against the Yankees?

I'm not for putting him in the bullpen right now. If we have a string of injuries in the rotation I want Brown to be stretched out. So he stays in AAA and waits his turn.

The Beard likes this.
  5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JV is going Thursday, right (vs Cole and the Yankees)?

If so, probably Garcia/Framber this series.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Nope, Astros shuffled the rotation.

bloodwings19 and desihooper like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I actually like this a lot.

Nothing can be done about Framber but Garcia started against the Mets last week and JV started against the Yankees.

This way neither team faces that pitcher again after seeing them recently.

Advantage pitcher.

Stephen66 likes this.
  8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And advantage Astros for selling more tix with the tease of a JV-Cole matchup on Thursday :cool:

9. tmacfor35

I would love to limit Verlander's appearance against a likely playoff foe.

Yanks want to show us their ace game after game. Let's get acquainted.

Stephen66 likes this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I love the idea of starting a 5th different pitcher against the Yankees.

Framber 5 baserunners in 6 IP
    Verlander 5 baserunners in 7 IP
    Javier 1 baserunner in 7 IP
    Urquidy 4 baserunners in 7 IP

Garcia needs a similar type start.

Then they will know just how good and deep the Astros starting pitching is

And McCullers isn't even active like we hope he will be in a potential playoff series against these guys

11. HTown2017Champs

Somebody on Twitter suggested giving him the Corbin Burnes treatment. For those who forgot/don’t keep with with other teams, the Brewers were having a great 2018, and had a highly touted pitching prospect who was ready to debut. Only problem was, there was no obvious spot for him. So they used him as a middle reliever that year to get his feet wet, before making room for him in the rotation in 2019. He would go on to win the Cy Young in 2021.
    Not saying Brown will be that good in the majors, but precedent does exist and that path can be successful.

htownrox1 likes this.
  12. tmacfor35

I disagree.

We all saw Framber and Luis falter when we needed them most in the playoffs.

You have a guy in your AAA system who has TOR stuff. Even getting 5/6 innings from him when it matters most is inevitably more valuable.

I do not see McCullers starting this year. This is 2/3 years with arm issues. They are going to go light with him.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would think that starting him on a regular rotation with a pitch limit would be better than pitching him more often in the bullpen.

I agree that they will be very careful with his arm but think he is more valuable as a starter and that's where they want him.

There is plenty of depth to piggy back him if he is on a strict pitch limit. Say 75 pitches.

Game #1: Verlander
    Gane #2: Framber
    Game #3: McCullers 3-4IP/ Garcia 3-5IP
    Game #4: Javier

Javier and Garcia could be swapped and Urquidy or Odorizzi could also be in that spot if a trade or injury removes a pitcher or two from consideration.

I just like this because 1) I think Javier is coming into his own and should be in the rotation 2) Garcia feels like he tires earlier and loses effectiveness after 4-5 innings more often than others.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

Red apples and green apples, but what about giving Lance the John Smoltz treatment where he is a high leverage reliever this season, with the promise he returns to the rotation next year? Saves his arm while maximizing his effectiveness. It also deepens the bullpen and our rotation is deep enough to give us that luxury. Just a thought.

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Brown hasn't gotten 1 MLB out in his career.

The Mariners have a guy with elite stuff similar to Brown with the high 90s fastball and nasty breaking ball. He is even dominating AAA more than Brown with a 1.82 ERA and .89 WHIP.

His name is George Kirby and he just got lit up for 7 runs in 4.0 innings including 4 HRs by the Orioles last night. His ERA is over 4 in 10 MLB starts. There is no guarantee Brown will be anything in MLB. They aren't just sliding him into the rotation over proven MLB starters. I would be a little surprised if Brown pitches at all in MLB this season. He isn't on the 40 man roster either so they have to cut someone or find another guy to throw on the 60 day IL to even bring him up.

As far as McCullers.... I'm not going to try and guess what he is or is not doing this season.

16. tmacfor35

Ok, and by that logic. Let's just never see what we have in a guy with Tor stuff? That isn't how things work. You have to see what you have.

If Brown comes out and starts showing he can be a Tor guy... Then maybe you don't have to consider looking for another Tor starter at the deadline.

Find out what you have unless, he is a piece to find your next team controlled CF assuming Jake Meyers doesn't work out.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with this 100%.

MLB is a different animal. Until a AAA superstar or top prospect does it at MLB there will be doubts.

A.J.Reed anyone?

A contending team must see proof in performance before relying on one, especially over a proven MLB commodity.

Brown needs to be given the chance to pitch several outings to prove himself, regardless of which role, before being considered for the playoff roster and a role.

He is not on the 40 man and the current pitching staff does not have a hole to give him that chance.

I look forward to seeing him next year though.

bloodwings19 likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I trust the Astros judgement on whether or not Hunter Brown is ready to make a major MLB impact.

If he spends all year in AAA (which I don't expect)they had a good reason for leaving him there.

Nook likes this.
  19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Derek Fisher anyone?

I'd roll with the same arms in the playoffs last year because they are battle hardened. I think it is great that Stros didn't let Verlander start against the Spankees. These F@#$ers think this is a must-win game in June.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

For anyone making the trip to Iowa, the Astros team coming out of the cornstalks has been on fire now that we have a real closer. We are on the rise.