1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I wonder if any Mav fans were like "I wish Dirk had tight handles"

2. MystikArkitect

Ugh now that I think about it, once Stone knew Jabari was the pick he should've thrown whatever at Portland to trade up and get Sochan. Looking at the other posts here about Draymond and the type of player Jabari is....Sochan could've been that defensive anchor and offensive distributor. I love Tari and think he'll be great but hot damn would Sochan have fit this team better.

D-rock likes this.
  3. swakid8

swakid8 Member

I was thinking of build, I think their style of play is different.

4. Nook

Nook Member

James Harden definitely had flaws.... but anyone expecting any of these guys to be the offensive powerhouse that Harden was on the Rockets is going to be upset. That bar is impossible to meet, there have been maybe 3-4 players in the last hundred years that could score and create like Harden did for the Rockets.

Having said that, teams with lesser franchise players/creators have won lots of titles, so it isn't the end of the world.

Drift Monkey, joshuaao, Reeko and 5 others like this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He could but he doesn't need to get that big. Different style of play dictates a different type of build. If we're turning him into a banger down low then yea put on the muscle, Jabari. But if he's going to be a stretch 4 you just need him to be strong but without the excess muscle/weight.

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  6. steddinotayto

Exactly. As much as I hate the Warriors the reason why they have sustained so much success is because they don't need/want to rely on one guy to do literally everything. Steph scores a ton but he's not also in charge of handling the ball and setting his teammates up. The team they beat has two guys that pretty much takes turns passing/scoring without trying to outdo one another. Stone is building that team-centric roster and I'm here for it.

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

I’m not saying Jabari is going to be as good as Dirk, but offensively, he plays similar to Dirk.

Neither have a great handle, but they can shoot the 3 and make difficult contested mid range jumpers.

Drift Monkey, Easy, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

You are not wrong. I think insaw that play too. It made me think hakeem. I knew it was blasphemy to say it but I did. I was Paolo before I knew who Jabari was. I took one look n instantly switch to Jabari n never looked back

Drift Monkey likes this.
  9. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Naw Jabari aldridge that can shoot 3s n defense. The guy I compare to dirk is chet. But a dirk that can rim protect n handle. N Paolo was Melo that can pass.

10. steddinotayto

At his peak, Rashard Lewis averaged something like 20/5/2 on 46/40/80 shooting splits. I expect Jabari to do that by year 3 with added defense. If he gets there this team will be a menace for the rest of the league.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Mavs fans losing their **** for trading Tractor Traylor for a soft Euro jump shooter. All those moments will be lost...in time...like tears...in rain.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari has SOME Len Bias in him.

13. steddinotayto

I remember that draft. Non-Mavs fans and talking heads were saying Dallas got robbed and Dirk wouldn't amount to anything. Like I can see that back then (the skepticism that is) but I knew Tractor Traylor (RIP) was not going to last long in the league. I'm glad that the league no longer needs to worry about fat prospects entering the NBA lottery.

Drift Monkey and Caesar like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's the best drive I have seen him do hopefully it's more of a confidence issue that he can overcome, him avoiding contact is going to be something he needs to overcome as well.

If he develops a Kwahi-level dribble package he will be all NBA 1st team.

Drift Monkey and Fullcourt like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with all of this and I am not saying he will not develop those skills but right now it's hard to watch him putting the ball on the floor.

As far as Draymond the reason he is as good as he is is the playmaking they are night and day in that respect.

I am very interested in seeing how he will defend on the perimeter I think he might be overrated there but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I am not down on the player I am just looking realistically at the future and how he will fit.
    Yes, I worry about now if you have a long-range plan it has to be in the equation, it will impact all acquisitions going forward.

I am not saying the question has to be answered right now but you have to look at him through that lens.

I don't understand why you can't understand this when you are always projecting how this team should be built and what players fit.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Never thought of it but definitely can see some similarities in his game and Dirk. Some of KD as well.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dirk did have handles, he was good dribbling in tight spaces and he was great at finishing.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still can trade for Kai Jones or Jalen Johnson.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jabari fits PERFECTLY right now even without handles to your standard.

Drift Monkey and Milos like this.
  20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It frustrates me how extreme this board gets at time.

Draft profile: “Smith needs to improve his handles.”

Some on this board: “Smith can’t dribble a single dribble!”