1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Entwhistle Dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CBrownFanClub, Jun 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Damn :(

Amazing Bass player, and a very down to earth person. Never let fame go to his head.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Man I always loved the way he played bass.

RIP :(

Guess the rest of the tour is in doubt...?

Update: Tour was supposed to start tomorrow. Truly a tragedy!

#3 Surfguy, Jun 27, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2002
  4. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

I have tickets for a show in two months. Ugh... so close to seeing my favorite band of their era, past their prime or not.

RIP Ox... If Keith's reforming the band up there, tell him to wait a while for the other two.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Oh man.... that's terrible. I just listened to the Quadrophenia soundtrack at work today and commented on some of the bass lines which were just bloody amazing....

Favorite John Entwistle tunes.... My Wife and Boris the Spider...

R.I.P.

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I saw them two years ago at the CWMP. What a rocking show. If they are "past their prime", they didn't show it that night.

R.I.P.

7. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

8. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

I think being in your 50's qualifies as past your prime, no? That, or you're kidding yourself :p

Anyway, Behad, from everything I've heard about their recent (last 5 years or so) dates, they still rocked. Live At Leeds, among others, will live on as testament to how much they rocked.

9. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

"Hope I die before I get old"

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

As someone who is a lot closer to his 50's than you are, I have a different view of what "past your prime" looks like. :)

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

20 years today. Here's "The Real Me" with just the bass and drums. Still the best bass player and drummer ever in one band.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh hell. I'm really so tired of reading these things. Terrible, terrible news. He was one hell of a bass player. I saw him and the Who several times. Worn out their records playing them, and he was a big part of what they did. What a bummer.

rimrocker likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hate to break it to you Deckard but he died 20 years ago today.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Guess I must have blanked out. I went strictly by the thread's headline and had no idea that it was a bump. Thanks for the heads-up. I should be embarrassed, but I don't care. It just brings back memories. Gotta say, putting aside that clearly I should have remembered, it's sad that his death got so little notice here at the time. I should have noticed that half the members who did post have largely been missing in action for years. Missing and missed, I should say. I had only been here a couple of months and probably didn't look into Hangout too often back then. I would have been playing their records in tribute, in fact, I'm sure I must have, but I just can't remember doing it.

I did see them several times, starting at the Music Hall in March of 1968, and don't you guys wish you'd been there! I have no problem recalling that! Boy, was I tripping. Except for seeing a band in a club, like the Catacombs or Love Street, the Music Hall was the best, period. Fantastic acoustics, sat about 3200, almost all the seats were good, and seats for that concert started at $3 bucks for good seats, lower middle balcony, with no service charge. Yeah, I remember that. Funny what you recall and what you don't. Sometimes things come and go, then return. Hard to forget seeing the Who.

16. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

at first I was like.... didn't he pass a while ago.... then I saw the date on the OP and WOW 20 years.... where has the time gone.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Lesson learned...people over 50 really shouldn't do cocaine.

VooDooPope likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HOLY SHITTE THIS IS BIG IF TRUE

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My dad died at 50 of a heart attack and he didn't do coke. Knowing a week ticker was probably a family trait kept me off the slopes while I watched others waste paycheck after paycheck. Funny thing about acid, you don't usually end up needing to go out and get more at 5am... you can just laugh at your friends making that call to "their guy".

FranchiseBlade and Surfguy like this.