1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

Nah I dont mind a gay character, I just hate when its forced... And about 90% are forced. You probably only watch Discovery channel or something....

2. Nook

Nook Member

I definitely think when you have that sort of division it matters. If it were 53-47 or something close like that, then it would be less of a concern. It matters because it calls into question whether the general population respects the governmental institutions such as the Supreme Court.

I do agree with @rimrocker that, especially among well educated younger people (especially women) some of these decisions are going to lead to a brain draw from certain states and likely also lead some to leaving the country.

75% of Americans 18-29 believe that abortion should be legal in all or almost all cases....

68% of Americans 49 or younger think it should be legal in all or almost all cases....

So there is definitely an age component involved, and likewise there is an education element as the more educated someone is, the more likely they are to support abortion in most cases.

Pro life gets the most support from Americans with a high school education or less, and over the age of 50.

Minorities are also more likely to support abortions... and minorities are a growing demographic.

I am going to be curious to see what happens.... does the confidence in the Court cause other issues.... do we see it become a non issue with most people not really caring.... do we see as the older Americans die off, a continued increase is support for abortion rights and we see the Republican Party change their tune? We saw this with gay marriage, it required enough old people dying off.

joshuaao, TheJuice and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I watch a lot of movies and documentaries mostly. I have noticed more minority characters than a decade ago, but I really don't think much about it.

TheJuice likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

The information is interesting going state by state and some of it is contradictory.

For example there are substantial polls in Texas that show 8 in 10 Texas support the right to an abortion in some situations at least.

What does that really mean though?

In Texas women were required to under go an ultrasound 24 hours before an abortion? How did the people of Texas feel about that? Did it really influence voting patterns?

It may take us awhile to find out. What I can say is I suspect that there will be otherwise conservative women that may surprise in who they vote for because of abortion bans. It is one of those wedge issues.

jiggyfly and TheJuice like this.
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

Like latinx characters? Yeah I noticed with Dr strange movie.... That and the girl had two moms.... Like, cmon.... she was adopted... Who knows how she actually got her powers...

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course people forget to mention why Harry Reid used the nuclear option on judges.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If it makes you feel any better, a fetus is very likely unable to experience pain before 29 weeks as pain receptors haven't been "plugged in" to the brain yet.

ROCKSS, joshuaao, Nook and 2 others like this.
  8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

If that is right, then the overwhelming number of voters that you site will vote for state legislators who pass laws who make abortion legal in all or almost all cases.

If it is.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No, it is not false. It is true. (see the map posted by TheresTheDagger). Yes, it varies, in both places. But you failed to omit that in some states abortion in the ninth month is allowed, which no place in Europe allows; in fact, only 7 countries in the world. Two of the others are China, and that paragon of HR virtue, north Korea. This was also the case in the recent bill put forward by the Democrats, to nationalize it. So, on average, yes, the US has less restrictive abortion policies than Europe (and just about any where else).

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Isn't even close? Which countries in Europe allow abortion up until the minute of birth, again (that would be zero). It IS allowed here, and was in the bill put forward by Democrats to nationalize across the entire US. Making us...MUCH less restrictive than Europe. Not sure why you keep omitting that, unless you are just stuck on your argument. Plus, given that it is a state by state matter, one can travel to a state that allows it. Meaning that if you want to frame the argument properly, you should heavily factor the least restrictive regulations as the comparison. Making...the US MUCH LESS restrictive than Europe, again.

Plus, if you are going to cite post Dobbs, you need to then also factor in near term future state. I think most states are going to end up allowing abortion of same type, and some term. Most people recognize that is somewhat of a necessity (either all for it, or recognize it can't be avoided without other bad consequences). Those will likely end up much like Dobbs was, which is somewhere around the 15 week mark. Texas, being in the middle of the Bible belt, might be an exception...but then again, it may not. Again, most people realize this is probably what law should be.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Abortion in the 9th month was not allowed in any state in the United States unless doctors and medical staff have concluded that a woman's life is at risk.

mdrowe00, joshuaao and TheJuice like this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This is a dubious argument at best. You are saying 9 months because in states like new york you can still have an abortion if medical professionals deem the fetus not viable or a threat to the mother's health. In Europe this is also often the case so even if abortions are normally restricted to 24 weeks, you can still get one afterwards just like in NY.

joshuaao, Nook and TheJuice like this.
  13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I like what I heard a comedian say on this topic. He said that he was in favor of same sex marriage, because there was no reason that gay people should be excluded from the pain and suffering that marriage entails. Hard to argue against that! ;-)

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ah, but they just did, and have before! Similar to the CA law, it states:

So, yes, abortions up through the ninth month would indeed quite likely occur, particular in states, like CA, where they tend to support a very liberal viewpoint on things.

I am curious, why is no one even discussing what the noted conservative Bill Clinton said about abortion, in that is should be "safe, legal and rare". 62 Million is not 'rare'. This is really the problem. Yes, for those taking the far right position that all abortion is morally wrong, no abortion will ever be acceptable. But, for the vast majority of people, the issue isn't that abortion occur...it is that they occur so frequently. This is where we should be focusing our discussions, and our efforts...but it isn't. Abortion is used far too often as the primary means of birth control. The vast majority of people, I am pretty sure, would say that that's not good.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The law you cited said "After fetal viability, the WHPA would assure a right to an abortion whenever the physician’s “good-faith medical judgment” is that “the pregnancy would pose a risk to the pregnant patient’s life or health.”
    The rest of the quote isn't what the law says just WSJ and your own opinion and not what the law states.
    Do you have evidence supporting that abortion is used by many as the primary means of birth control?

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What? Abortion is not allowed unless doctors determine the mother's life and health are at risk. Doctors whether liberal or conservative will determine. It is ridiculous to suggest that practicing doctor whether conservative or liberal would intentionally lie to say a woman was more or less healthy depending on their political leanings.

It is restricted and depends life and health. Late term abortions on demand were not and are not allowed in any state.

And again they are @1% of all abortions. So in that 1% of the time you suggest doctors were willfully lying to either put a mother's or fetus' life in danger, depending on what state they were in?

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

It doesnt matter.

My catholic friends are convinced Democrats are murdering perfectly healthy babies

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

More like caused more suicides

FranchiseBlade likes this.