1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I'm not sure why you posted what Boosie thinks unless you think it is funny.

He is a felon I believe, cannot vote - has a deep hatred for gays and transgendered people and a history of domestic violence.

Rocket River and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You are absolutely correct that the US legally allowed abortions later in the pregnancy than European countries. BUT in practice, access to abortion is much worse in the US than those countries. In most Western countries, a woman can simply schedule an abortion with little to no effort and the health care system will usually fund it (so no out of pocket cost).

To give you a comparison from my own personal experience, here in Canada, a woman can schedule an appointment at a clinic or hospital and get a procedure (or pick up the pill for a medicated abortion) at no cost if you are enrolled in the provincial health plan. So while some US states will perform an abortion later in the pregnancy than here, no one is going to suggest that access is actually better in the US. The financial cost alone in the US is crazy, putting aside all the other issues and barriers.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

[​IMG]

#543 Air Langhi, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    jiggyfly and ThatBoyNick like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Julian Simon called the human mind the “ultimate resource.” So that’s 30 to 60 million fewer minds helping to cure cancer, fight climate change, etc etc. Long one of the arguments against aggressive population control policies.

Nook likes this.
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

Stars Wars.... Buzz light year movie... Pretty much any loved franchise or game has forced geh in them now....

6. Nook

Nook Member

Yes I have looked at both sides of it... and I think there is some validity to both sides. There would likely be more brilliant people, but also more people in poverty, likely more crimes as well (based on socio economic realities) and more stressors on limited resources.

Regardless, all of our lives would be different with a 20-30% increase in the population and it is an interesting thing to think about.

joshuaao and Os Trigonum like this.
  7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Andcyet Dems insisted on including this in their legislation...up until the second before birth. Which is both pointless and barbaric.

This essentially makes them pro infanticide. Please run on that..please, please, please.

8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Oh yeah, say you love all the woke programming.... Wouldnt be surprised, go enjoy she hulk.....

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

rofl woke programming

Welcome to the world.

Gay people exists.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. marky :)

marky :) Member

You do know she hulk existed since like the 80's right

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

What? It isn't pointless and it isn't any more barbaric that forcing a woman to give birth when her life is at risk.

No it doesn't, the fact that they support it is because it is to protects the life of women when there is a severe risk to the mothers health or when there is late term testing that shows high genetic risks or abnormalities to the fetus.

13. Nook

Nook Member

WOW You are serious?

I thought you were kidding.

Honestly I have not really noticed a lot of "woke programing" but I don't go around counting the number or minority or gay/trans people on my television screen.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. HTM

HTM Member

I think rape/incest abortions are around 1% as well but that is brought up ad nauseam.

People on both sides of the issue are going to highlight the most controversial aspect of the other sides position and lay into.

jiggyfly, Nook and TheresTheDagger like this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It doesn’t matter what percentage it is if even that’s illegal in some of these states

Little girls molested and impregnated should not have to carry their rapist/pedophiles kid just because a religious group believes that a couple of seconds after fertilization (no different than the skin cells you just shed typing this) they should be subject to life long agony and trauma

it is beyond barbaric

You’re telling me that if a 12 year old girl gets raped by an old man and that rape has been proven just around the crime, she can’t take an abortion pill, just because it falls under “1%”. Don’t give me the plan B nonsense because all it does is prevent ovulation if it hasn’t occurred

you don’t use that reasoning for other laws. I’m a conservative as well, this was far too extreme and religiously motivated

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Democrats never had on demand late term abortions as their platforms. It was always protected only when medical health care doctors said it was necessary for the health of the mother.

Nook likes this.
  17. HTM

HTM Member

Uh… you’re completely missing the point but go off.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The protests are already fizzling out. Anyone who thinks this is going have legs until November is almost certainly fooling themselves.

Protesters Dwindle at Supreme Court as Abortion Ruling Sinks In

(Bloomberg) -- Only a fraction of the demonstrators who poured out after the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision on Friday returned for a third day of protests outside the court in Washington. With temperatures climbing to more than 90F (32C) on Sunday, a hard core of demonstrators sang and chanted, pledging to continue their vigil until action was taken to restore abortion rights voided by the court’s majority. There wasn’t much evidence of organizations such as Planned Parenthood and religious faiths that coordinated demonstrations, for and against choice, in the wake of the decision.

[​IMG]

Instead, a few hundred activists formed a circle in front of the court, passing around a megaphone to share stories about their health care or jeer at conservative justices.​

19. Nook

Nook Member

Agree that the last I checked only 1% of abortions are for rape, and .5% are for incest.

The statistics are interesting... almost 1/3 of all pregnancies in NY end in an abortion.

The amount of abortions in the USA are falling consistently over time.

Almost 90% of abortions are by unmarried women. So we likely will have a lot of single parent households going forward.

About 1 in 11 abortions is by a woman under 19 years old.

8% of abortions are for women that have had multiple abortions in the past.

25% of abortions are by Catholics

80% of abortions happen in the first 9 weeks..... 95% happen within 13 weeks.

9 out of 10 women that are at risk for having an abortion are using the pill.

Popular birth controlled used can have a failure rate of 6-8% in actual practice.

70% of Americans do not want Roe over turned

joshuaao likes this.
  20. HTM

HTM Member

I keep seeing this posited as well.

I don’t think the national temperament is particularly relevant.

I think the more relevant and interesting statistic would be a state by state break down on support for Roe, especially for the states that the Dobbs decision will impact.

The people of Alabama and California, by and large, have different temperments and this is now a state by state issue.

TheresTheDagger and Nook like this.