1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Reason] The group formerly known as ACLU Condemns DeVos's Title IX Reforms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

University attorneys are being briefed today--initial reactions are that requiring processes for attorneys to do the cross-examination in a hearing is even more overreach of the government trying to tell universities how to do their work. This is "more overreach than Obama-era regs" I'm told. I'll know more later.

B-Bob likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The police and the criminal justice system is not meant to determine whether a student has violated the student code of conduct and should or should not be expelled.

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

here's a decent overview of the proposed regulations, as the lead paragraph suggests, this is something of a "mixed bag" for universities:

"The proposed regulations will likely be viewed by institutions as a mixed bag. On the one hand, the regulations promise a narrower scope of enforcement and greater deference to institutional decisions. On the other hand, notwithstanding Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos’s assertions that the prior administration had inappropriately imposed highly technical and overly-stringent compliance obligations on colleges and universities, the proposed regulations would legislate significantly in this area, mandating detailed new processes, many of which are arguably beyond the Department’s discretion to require and some of which may create conflicts with the requirements of state laws such as New York Education Law Article 129-B. . . ."
    https://www.bsk.com/news-insights/p...anges-to-institutional-policies-and-practices

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think this is a healthy take using your single anecedote to dismiss all the accused as rapists. I could use my own anecdote of a friend who was taken advantage of by a girl who didn't recieve the attention she desired from my friend and accused him of rape. Good thing recorded text messages exist as she was still contacting him, asking him if he wants to hang out with her after the date of her alleged rape.

But that incident isn't going to make me have no sympathy for all alleged victims. It's a case by case basis. I understand that the vast majority of of rape victims are probably telling the truth as it is difficult to come forth with these allegations and most sane women wouldn't place themselves in that type of limelight. However, sociopaths exist. So there is a select population of women who are very willing to create false allegations.

I think it's a mistake for schools to adjudicate rape allegations.

RayRay10 and jcf like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

7. jcf

jcf Member

Excellent article.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

****ing crazy. Instead of slashed tires you spend time in prison with a permanent record with the wrong woman and a wrong phone call.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This was one of the poison pills I knew we were swallowing with Biden. Still sucks. What a step backward.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines

Biden's Sex Police
    The White Houses's new regulations will gut due-process rights for college students accused of sexual misconduct.

https://www.commonsense.news/p/bidens-sex-police

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm okay with the increased requirements for consent.

The idea that a single administrator can investigate, decide guilt and decide punishment is extremely problematic.

I will actively support in effort to amend that aspect.

fchowd0311 likes this.