1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ at the 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 26, 2022.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Watch his highlights, he settles for pull up jumper way to often vs one on one.

The job of a guard or more importantly, a facilitator, is to draw the gravity
    of the defense to set up your team for a higher percentage shot.

Pulling up so far away from the basket (and you easily see one on one coverage)
    and calling your own number for a low percentage shot is pathetic. You are not
    a point guard (ranked second best PG in draft) if you don't sacrifice for the
    team. He must do better. I would bench him every time he did r does that.

Look at the video of Patrick Baldwin......that's no spacing. Going up against
    3 to 4 defenders every play. He will end up looking amazing with the Warriors.
    TyTy.....not so much; but like Josh Christopher, hopefully he can adapt and change.

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Has everyone forgotten we have five time all star Wall rotting on our bench for absolutely no reason??? If anyone starts at PG it better be him over TyTy. Nothing wrong with the following:
    Wall
    Green
    KPJ
    Smith
    Sengun
    This lineup returns us to the playoffs where we now belong.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's okay to give him 10-15 minutes as a 3 when TyTy is playing well, but KPJ should be the starting PG in every game imo.

#43 saleem, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    maj21 likes this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One must understand that we have two great initiators/playmakers/scorers....in KPjr and Jalen. Those ARE our starting guards. We will have a coventional PG (TyTy) mixed in once in awhile, and see plenty of JC out there, but this is the backcourt. A decent chunk of the offense will also flow through Alperen initially, with progressively more as time goes by. (from the wing and down low) We are going to be next to impossible to defend with the shooting, cuts, and postups..all around.On the defensive side KPjr will be a nightmare for opposing PG's...why would you take away that clear advantage by putting him at the wing. Once in a while yeah, but that's not what we're doing here. With Tari, we'll finally have length, athleticism and shooting at the three. And, of course Jabari spreading the floor, providing clutch shots, and switching on D. The Rockets will be long, athletic, and dangerous on boths sides of the ball. It's going to be electrifying.

KPjr
    Jalen
    Tari
    Jabari
    Sengun

maj21 likes this.
  5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

That would be if we cared most about winning this year. I think the most important things are still:

1. developing our young players
    2. win in 2-3 years (after we spent our capsapce and with maybe another high draft pick)

I also think we could make the playoffs this year if we really wanted to - but I think that would make us worse in two years than if we just develope our young guys.

6. Landry's Tooth

Part of the kpj at 3 could be because Jalen is initiating the offense some of the time.

Gordon is a good catch and shoot guy but if he's gone it could make sense to move KPJ to that role at least some of the time.

Maybe you call it a 3 guard set with Jalen initiating and JC off the bench for defense and transition play...

7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I don't see how we can start Tate with Sengun. Both can't spread the floor. If we start Sengun, Tate needs to come off the bench.

Rochut likes this.
  8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Question: what if this season starts off the same way last season does for KPJ. High turnovers, dribbling out the clock, missing bunnies, poor FT shooting, and stalling the offense. I guess my question is, how long do we keep going on this experiment before adjusting?

9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I'm just listing all the players. Tate still shoot it better than Draymond Green. He and Looney had no problem playing together.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Porter's strengths from last season - slightly above average defense and catch&shoot shooting - would make him better suited for the SF roll, however, if I had to pick between Washington or Eason to try and develop/fastrack into the starting lineup it would be Eason as the starting 3. Between Porter, Sengun, and, to a less extent, Green being our playmakers, we have a need for size/defense in the starting lineup.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is highly unlikely the Rockets defense with Tate and Sengun would be nearly as good to make up for the drop in offensive efficiency that even GS had with those 2.

12. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Looney's defense is better than Sengun's (as of now) and Draymond can pass the ball well, defend well, and illegal screen well. They also have 2 of the greatest shooters of all time. That's why they can pull that off. I understand and want to tank organically next year, but starting Tate with Sengun is a detriment to the team in the long run. We cannot intentionally tank next year.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I could see a three "guard" lineup in Nix/TyTy, Green and Porter. Whether you call Green or Porter a SG just does not seem to matter ... at least on the offensive end. Even in that three guard lineup, whoever has the ball in their hand with 10 secs or less on the shot clock is the PG.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about JC?

15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I'm just giving you example. Just not a good one since they are the champ and we are the worst team in the NBA. Anyway we are developing the players. Let them figure it out. Some think we are going to compete for play-in next season. Seriously we are far from it. I will be happy if we have more than 30 wins.

TriumVirate likes this.
  16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Reminder we are the worst team in the NBA. Our main objective is making improving. We aren't trying to make the play-in.

17. csc177

csc177 Member

We’ll come back to this thread soon enough. I also believe TyTy will surprise a lot of folks real soon. Lotto pick PG that we lucked into at the 29th pick.

Stone’s seen this kid since he was 11, knows the skill, and won’t offer an extension to KPJ until after this season just to see this thing play out.

…the battle for the starting PG (nix, TyTy, KPJ) should be fun. My bet is on the Kentucky guard. I’m not sure KP can handle (ego) being bumped to 6th man or told to play the 3. I hope he does and shows out but, history doesn’t lie, he’s been unreliable everywhere he’s been, this may be his last year in h town.

Honest question…..If you were stone, would you bank on KPJ being a long term piece for your core?

18. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I agree, we are far from it. We will suck next year, but we will put out a more watchable product compared to last year. Us fans had a great time watching this team towards the end of the season when it was just the young guys running the show. I expect more of that this year.

19. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

honestly question we get the #2 pick next year and we draft Scoot who is starting TyTy or Scoot?

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Even though I don't like KPJ and you already talking about the two guys hadn't play a single NBA game starting over him?