1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wall headed towards a Buyout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jun 26, 2022.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

We have way too many players on our roster, so this definitely needs to happen. Now if we can just trade Gordon to a team that has a large player exemption who is willing to trade us a future 1st…

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

There is perhaps no bigger pressing issue, though, than the one concerning former All-Star John Wall. The veteran point guard hasn’t suited up for the Rockets in over two years. Wall is healthy, and his preference has always been a trade to a place he can compete and play key minutes, but due to his gargantuan contract — Wall recently picked up his $47 million player option for the coming season — finding a deal has been difficult. For example, Houston is anticipating nearly $80 million in cap space next summer. For that reason, it would be unwise to trade Wall for players making big money with more than one year left on their deal, thereby eating into that cap space. The Rockets want maximum flexibility to be aggressive in the summer of 2023.

There were some trade talks involving a few teams on draft night, but none of those deals materialized. With the draft now behind them, the Rockets plan to reassess things with Wall. Sources say a breakup between Wall and the franchise is gaining momentum, with both sides expected to meet this week with Wall’s hope of a resolution — a trade or, more likely, a buyout — by the June 30 start of free agency.

3. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I hope TILLY learned his lesson from forcing the WB deal…

remember this moment when you cut the Wall check to never meddle again :mad:

#43 BHannes2BHonest, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    TheJuice likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

buyout was always the most likely option to me

He’s not tradable unless the Rockets want to spin their wheels and take on yet another albatross

let’s do this buyout and get this whole saga over with

i3artow i3aller and No Worries like this.
  5. TheBeastSystem

Will he give us back $10 million????

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think it's $47 million minus whatever the team that signs him pays for a 1 year deal.

Do the Lakers have a MLE at $10.8 million?

7. conquistador#11

I don't see anyone attractive in the 2023 free agency. Joker if Sengun doesn't show strides? But I feel Sengun's improvements at age 20 will make believers out of his few doubters.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Awesome, Don!

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What lesson is that? He dumped a contending team's Cap Breaking (and Tax Paying) payroll and will use the checks he gets from the league to subsidize the 40 million hit.

Cheap or idiot owners don't pay for their mistakes.

Fans do.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Seems that $80 million will be more handy in keeping our young guns even more than seeking free agents?