1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ at the 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 26, 2022.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

KPJ is the 1... and with no proven backup 1 on the roster anymore, I think he holds onto it.

tyty and nix might alternate spending a lot of time in the g league. gordon could be a backup 1 but he's likely traded. JC might spend time as a backup 1 this year too, but he's not a natural fit or very experienced there.

unless we sign a vet backup PG, we need KPJ to spend all his minutes at the 1.

2. TimDuncanDonaut

Is Christopher at a starting 1 too controversial? (Nix backup 1, Tyty... at G-league first)
    Then KPJ as a 6th man.

--- 1st unit (JC and Sengun run some playmaking, up the playmaking for Green)
    Christopher
    Green
    Gordon/Tate- whomever.
    Jabari
    Sengun

--- 2nd unit (Nix, Tate and KPJ can take turns playmaking. KPJ can focus more on scoring)
    Nix
    Garrison/Tate
    KPJ (sf)
    Tari
    Garuba

charlieaustin and fattz like this.
  3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

JC is a back up 2

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

The question is interesting, as there are rumors the Spurs are looking to tank for Wembanyama and want 3 picks for Murray. We have 3 picks available and Gordon matches price wise. A lineup of Murray Green KPJ Smith and Sengun is pretty nasty.

I don't think I'd go for it, but you'd have to think about it at least...

fattz likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No thanks. We need at least one stud out of the 2023 draft.

lpbman and Nook like this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

Calm down guys... when i say Tyty aka Titty is in the mix I'm saying he's another pg body and let's see how he looks in camp and preseason. They also like Nix...

I'm also not suggesting KPJ exclusively at the 3... he can also run second unit pg at times...

Preference would be him improving as a 1 but he could be best utilized as a 3 maybe in the short term....

charlieaustin, fattz and Nook like this.
  7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We would be a nice Point Forward for our team, he would score 20 points a night and not many turnovers but he wants the title of “Point Guard of the Houston Rockets”

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Fine with me as long as we get a legit point guard to replace him.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, he is the starting PG.

DD

10. jayfree

jayfree Member

With Trevor Hudgins in the mix now, can we move Green to Center.

Imagine TyTy and Hudgins in the starting backcourt? We'd be unstoppable!

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

KPJ would be more dynamic the less decisions he has to make. I dont understand why people want him to be the PG so bad. I want KPJ playing, but not running the offense.

charlieaustin, fattz and Nook like this.
  12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Guess what pick KPJ was...

No Worries likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Ty Ty Washington didn’t get the basket more because the spacing was terrible on top of playing out of position.

Washington is strong and has okay size for a point guard. He can defend 1-3 on switches. How many point guards can switch onto 4-5?

I agree he shouldn’t be handed anything though.

No Worries and jch1911 like this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

Christopher would be my pick as the point.

Ghost5Horse6 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I'm surprise there is no play Jabari at SF thread yet. When everyone think we get Banchero and so many want Banchero to play SF. Now we got Eason and people still want **insert anyone natural position not SF** to play SF.

C - Sengun, Garuba
    PF - Smith, Martin
    SF - Tate, Eason, Mathews
    SG - Green, Christopher
    PG - Porter, Washington

This is without Gordon. We have so many that can play SF already.

MultipleSauces likes this.
  16. kpdark

kpdark Member

With the addition of the rookies in the lineup, I'm seeing Christopher as a young EGo. He would be slotted at the SF, alternately starting with Eason.

Green would handle the point/ball more (like 60% of the time) and KPJ (40%) - KPJ's catch and shoot 3 stats and improving defense would be further utilized. And EGo, Nix, & Washington as back-up guards.

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at drunk DD posting the same thing in the thread 5 hours apart

Tmac1Yao11 and Drift Monkey like this.
  18. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'd love to see it, but I don't think we'll see TyTy on the court much this season. My guess is he gets stashed away in the G League for most of the season and late in the year gets some garbage minutes here and there like Nix did.

19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don't know - I still think PG is not KPJs best position. But I also believe, right now he is our best PG. I think we don't play a system, in which the PG will initiate the offense most of the time. Sengun should get plenty of opportunity to initiate the offense from the high post, Green should get plenty of isos/screens to make him create offense - and I even believe Jabari will get some isos to shoot over defenders or utilise screens. And in this scenario, KPJ initiating the offense from time to time with a dribble drive would fit right in - and he will be a catch and shoot guy the rest of the time.

But I also like a lineup full of deadly 3pt shooters around a true PG. But I am not sure TyTy is that - but I'd be willing to try out that lineup!

20. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I think KPJ is probably more optimal as a sixth man. He still may grow and become the facilitator the team needs, so you run him at PG again this season. But if Green/Smith are more productive with Nix/TyTy, bring him off the bench as instant offense.