1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari off the dribble

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface281, Jun 23, 2022.

1. xaos

xaos Member

Speaking of Giannis, I'm not implying anyone on this earth can gaurd him, but add Smith to the very very short list of names that has a chance.

i3artow i3aller and clos4life like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree he has trouble at the rim but he has the same type of post-game.

LMA killed college 3 point range? Really?

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Clip of Jabari vs Banchero -
    Jabari gets his shot off whenever he wants, and also changed the projectory of other shooters.
    Banchero can get bring the ball up, and is very comfortable with his back to the basket.
    Those were my take aways.

raining threes and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's the same dumbasses that called Green a bust a quarter into last season. Humanity is forever cursed to repeat history because idiots don't learn from their mistakes.

5. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Thank you. He has so much room for improvement. I'm not saying he will ever be able to drive and finish like Durant, but if he can ever be half as good at it, he will be an all star.

raining threes likes this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What I've learned in life is that a lot of people just love to see others fail and love to look for reasons to hate.

Curious thing about being young though, is that you can't predict what the future holds. The reason a lot of these guys develop so fast is because they were never challenged in HS and college. NBA, on the other hand, forces people to truly realize their weaknesses and work for ways to resolve them or sidestep them. Jabari will no doubt be challenged, more than he has his entire life, and his work ethic will aid him in finding ways to overcome those challenges. Or not, no one knows what he is truly capable of and those who pretend they do are liars.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So questioning why he is so poor at dribbling is now loving to see others fail?

Talking about a weakness is hating?

Who has claimed that knows what he is capable of anywhere, you all act like somebody has claimed he will bust or not be a really good player, can you point out a post where anybody has said anything close to that?

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Tatum and PG13 were really good ball handlers coming out. Jabari has work to do. He's a catch and shoot guy. Thats not a bad thing because thats basically Klay Thompson. Rashard Lewis is a great comp. In his 3rd year Lewis was 15 and 7 45% and 40 from 3

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Giannis will put that man in the rim lol.

Scarface likes this.
  10. raining threes

Already dooming a nineteen year old to failure.

Do you realize how bad the Auburn guard play was last year. He had to try to create and that wasn't Smith's game as an 18 year old. He probably had never been asked to create shots for others in his entire basketball life.

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Surprised to see that Jabari actually had a slightly higher free throw rate than Banchero. Seems savvy enough to draw a lot of fouls on his jumpshots with pump fakes.

12. raining threes

He's got the skillset to be a really good player as is. The question is will he put in the work and strengthen his weaknesses. If he can do this he can become a great, franchise altering type player.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When did I say he was a failure?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. raining threes

You don't seem to be very high on a 19 yr olds ability to improve.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Watch the tape. He did shoot 43% from 2pt range, because he basically only took contested midrange shots. He had maybe 5 shots in transition and maybe 10 shots where teammates helped him get an open 2pt- shot. The rest were: he got the ball on the perimeter with a normal pass and was asked to make something happen - and that was usually, take a couple of dribbles and pull up against 1-2 defenders. Why? Because the paint was clogged with Kessler camping out under the basket and other defenders cheating off the Auburn guards, that had trouble hitting a three.

Most players get at least some of the times assists, that make their shots easier - the only times Jabari was really open was at the 3pt line, and even those opportunities were rare, usually there was a defender nearby.

So yeah, just looking at the stats is kinda misleading here. Take a look at Eason, he has a better 2pt percentage. Why? Because he is great in transition - not because he is a better shooter. The Rockets just need to make sure, that Jabari gets better shots.

16. dmoneybangbang

Jabari doesn't have to have a great handle to create for himself and for others. It is just what often separates stars and superstars from super role players.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

It's the NCAA, almost every team has spacing issues.

He took lots of contested shots because he couldn't create anything better. I won't deny that he was an elite shot maker but you need to be an elite shot creator to be a star. I think Jabari is a hard worker and will improve his shot creation but I think he fell to #3 because there's a better chance he'll just become a super role player while the others have more potential.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Best shooter in the draft. Smooth as silk.

19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Fair. I believe both Banchero as well as Chet have a better chance to be a superstar - while Smith has the better chance to be a quality starter for 10 years than the other two. But still, it was bad in Auburn. Add to the spacing issues the guard play and lack of assists. I know, you are talking about shot creation here, but the other prospects got a lot more easy looks because if good schemes and passes. Basically he was asked to create all his own shots with at least 3 defenders constantly looking at him (including the center in the paint).

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I cringed when I saw Jabari dribble the ball last night and he literally lost it on his own (at the 1:00 minute mark in the vid below), but tightening up that handle is something he is going to get much better at. as you can see in the rest of the highlights from last night, if he adds some off the dribble moves it'll be an added bonus. his presence is felt 100% dribble or no dribble