1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Yankees

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 23, 2022.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't completely fault him for the walk to Carpenter. Martinez gets a lot of ground balls and the DP became another way to escape that inning. Yes, DJ hit HR previously but he is not the same hitter this year that he has been in the past.

The pitching to Judge though just didn't make sense. He is having an MVP type year. Expecting to hold him hitless for 3 consecutive games is a very poor bet.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why don't you go lick AJ Hinch's nuts. He can use the cheering up!

3. conquistador#11

That scared you?
    Going with Maton instead of the better reliever is scary.
    Not wanting to play Yordan is scary.
    All self inflicted horror.
    They even hushed with the Altuve chants, that's scary?
    Scary is some superhero ant-man wanna be and going into another dude's penis! I'm terrified right now. Why would they include that in a show.
    Yankees scary please.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Don't really give a **** about AJ Hinch. He's gone. Just pissed at the trash that replaced him. You're not even an Astros fan anyways.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The reason this was a split and not a sweep is because again we succumbed to our biggest weakness, terrible clutch hitting. This is the recurring theme in our playoff losses since 2018. Luckily the team is good enough to work around it and still easily make the playoffs. It’s just that it’s a really bad weakness to have once you are in the playoffs, against good teams, as we have seen in the last 4 seasons.

TheRealist137 and Stephen66 like this.
  6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Are you just mad about pitching to Judge, or did you have other issues?

This was a Phil Maton game, imo. Stop giving up game-tying homers in the late innings and we cruise to a W.

7. raining threes

I would rather not lose period.

BTW, why did Dusty use Yordan in the 8th with Maldy or in this case .100 Castro hitting behind him? Wasted the best bat on the team. Let Meyers hit and if he gets on then bat Yordan for Maldy.

The Beard and swoosh1014 like this.
  8. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

And it's GOOD that Judge is making his case for a monster contract.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

That's fair.

I just think as fans we tend to more easily remember the "obvious" mistakes coaches and managers make, especially late in games. But we don't look at the overall stats for the all the decisions they make that do go right. Plus with how this team has stayed in legit contention since he has been here, I cannot agree with him being worthless.

I do tend to agree that I'm skeptical he will win a title though. He shoots himself and this team in the foot too often with a team that doesn't have the talent to overcome that kind of margin.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I fear lucky teams way more than good teams.

It's why we beat a 104 win Dodger and 102 win Yankee team, but lost to multiple mid-90s win NL east teams.

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Maton shouldn't have been out there today compounded by letting Pressley keep pitching in the game when he gave up that HR. Should of used Stanek in the 8th then Pressley, or Montero in the 9th. No matter, we still have a significant lead in the division, but NY Yankees got a breather from the NY media.

12. raining threes

I'm not mad about anything, I've just seen Dusty's act for 30 years, so I know what to expect.

13. STR8Thugg

I'm not a Dusty fan, but I'm more annoyed with our relievers giving up mammoth, game-tying homers.

javal_lon, Nook and raining threes like this.
  14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The national media will talk way way more about the walk off HR's than the fact that the Yankees were no hit for 16 innings by Astros pitchers who the average national non-Astros baseball fan probably cannot name.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. raining threes

Quoted for truth

The Beard and Stephen66 like this.
  16. STR8Thugg

Sure, but luck is a lot scarier in October. No team has a full season of good luck.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Take the training wheels off Abreu. He's better than Maton. That is on Dusty.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Trash that has gotten the Astros to 2 ALCS' and a WS under less than ideal circumstances (Covid and without full starting pitching staffs). I'm not sure you know what a trash manager is? Maybe, you don't like his skin color. I don't know.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know how many dominate relievers there are that never get tagged anymore. With all the tape on guys and RP pitching more innings, with batters getting more looks at them, I think this is the end result.

It is why in the playoffs, the whole "no 3 times thru the rotation" should not be so bolded when compared to a reliever the other team has seen in 3 or 4 times already in that series. Most guys don't start out eying to be RP. They were SP who didn't have 3 pitches in their arsenal or able to get thru 5 innings. So the same logic on seeing them many times has to apply to that teams currently use for SP's.

20. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

Do I really wish our 8th/9th inning meltdowns didn't occur yes. But I'll take a split with our starting pitching shutting down the Yankees lineup for all 4 games.

Houstunna likes this.