1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's/who's the next move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Puppet Master, Jun 25, 2022.

1. conquistador#11

Tate is 33% from corner threes in his 2 years hurr. If he slims down to 220 and improves to 37% from corner threes, Silas won't be forced to remove him from the line up and could play the SF role til Eason is ready. The bench would lack a consistent 13ppg average if Gordon starts. decisions decisions. The comments of wanting Gordon in the starting five were made before the best 2 way player in the draft fell to us.

2. Landry's Tooth

Understood, but it's not likely anyone better is coming along in the next year.

The free agents are awful in a year.

The problem is most great young players don't hit free agency and most don't have the leverage to force out of their situation.

Those players are usually veterans... Anthony Davis being an exception...

3. mightybosstone

Right, but there are other guys they can target in trades a year from now. And maybe next offseason isn't when they make their big free agent signings. It could be in 2024 or later.

Or best case scenario, your young guys pan out and you have so much talent that you don't need to sign or trade for max guys to build a contender. That would be my dream scenario. Building the next Golden State Warriors.

sydmill likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Rockets need to find their glue piece at small forward and figure out if Sengun is the long-term piece at Center.

I think they are set at guard and PF.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Sign a big in free agency. Certain matchups will expose us. Sengun is undersized. We need a 7 footer that can match up with any true center in the league. Tyty and KPJ at point will be interesting too. We will see if KPJ plays consistently good and improves. Still need more wings.

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Ummmm…
    967128D0-7E4F-4B4D-99C2-56FA8928CB43.gif

sirjesse and Scarface like this.
  7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well there's a reason he hardly or never played in this year's past playoffs with Dallas.

8. csc177

csc177 Member

Trade Eric Gordon so Jabari can have his number 10

pmac likes this.
  9. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

Tate and Matthews being moved. Gordon can play 1-3 allowing Ty Ty and Eason to develop while being a mentor for everyone in that 1-3 spot (KPJ, Nix, Ty, Gup, Green, Martin Jr.) as Tate takes up minutes/ starting opportunity from Kenyon Martin Jr.
    Cut everyone from the Dallas deal besides boban.
    I would love a Jalen Smith signing in FA.

KPJ/TyTy/Nix
    Green/Gup
    Martin Jr/Gordon
    Jabari/Eason/Garuba
    Smith/Sengun/Boban

whenever you move Gordon, slide eason to the 3 and garuba to the 4 and them team is still deep but younger and maximizing minutes for its young guys to see what they have for the future

After deadline:
    KPJ/TyTy/Nix
    Green/Gup
    Martin/Eason
    Jabari/Garuba
    Smith/Sengun

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

We need to move him.

Make room for Claxton or Mitchell Robinson or Chris Boucher or Butler

Amirite D-rock?

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

My dream offseason.

1. Trade Eric Gordon to a contender for a future 1st. He deserves another shot at a ring and he just isn't part of our future. I'll miss the guy though. He's been a total pro here.
    2. Either trade Jae'Sean Tate for a high upside young guy (maybe Jalen Johnson?) or future picks or extend him to a very reasonable contract. If he's really shooting the three better then I'd be great with extending him. If he's going to continue to be a liability from distance than I'd like to see him traded. I love his hustle and motor but I just don't think he can be a priority if he can't shoot.
    3. Sign Isaiah Hartenstein in free agency. If we cannot obtain him I'm also open to Nic Claxton. I've been listening to some Magic podcasts and their fans are so down on Mo Bamba that I'm not really interested in him. Seems like he looks good on paper but can't really play. Would love to have a bigger defensive minded big to back up Sengun though. Could be huge in certain matchups.

I'm very excited about this season. I know we're going to lose a whole lot of games but it's going to be so much fun watching all of these kids develop. Hopefully the Nets will blow up and with our pick swap we'll have two great shots at the #1 overall in 2023. Wemby would be the perfect way to cap this rebuild.

jcmoon and Shark44 like this.
  13. fattz

fattz Member

Squeezing the tube of toothpaste until it is completely empty…

I am one of the few that thinks Gordon STILL has a KEY ROLE with Rocket’s rebounding process. We will need a veteran presents on the court to start the season. Gordon has been willing in the past to be the stability thus having great value to our team. I think waving him at the trade dead line is a way to pay him back for his loyalty. He then will be able to “ring chase” for pennies on the dollar giving him a chance to go to ANY TEAM on a minimum contract. We will not get a return on Gordon other than future cap space because of his absence / contract ending. Thank you for your service Mr. Eric Gordon you are and always have be a team player.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. Landry's Tooth

I understand, it's a fair point. It's also fair to point out adding a healthy Durant helps develop the younger guys...

It would give the Rockets two deadly sharpshooters to space the floor for Green/Porter dribble penetration.

Maybe it's not Durant, but someone with a similar skillset... a big 3 who is an elite shooter... maybe a younger Kris Middleton for example...

mightybosstone likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Smith would not start over Sengun

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  16. fattz

fattz Member

Letting sleeping dogs lie.

Wall’s return more than likely will not be a net positive. If it’s not positive then just hold him till the trade deadline and wave him. Wall has been a model citizen through out his time here. Yes he has been compensated but know his checks would still come if he was talking about the Rockets in a negative manner. He has been so commentating by giving up a season and half of his already shortened career so the team could do our thing with out him getting in the way. We will get nothing in return but future cap space because his contract ends and a roster spot. Mr. Wall thank you for your kindness and professionalism. Please go find a place in the league where you can find success on a minimum contract.

17. fattz

fattz Member

Start the season with

Porter / Green / Gordon / Smith / Sengun

Let changes will happen organically give Christopher / Garuba / Martin / Tate / Queen / Nix / Eason / Ty Ty / or someone else from a trade return to earn their starting role after Gordon is waved.

18. PatBev

PatBev Member

I was listening to a couple insiders talk about how the organization loves Gordon’s presence both on & off court and neither party is forcing anything. Apparently Gordon is happy in Houston and is willing to help raise these kids for a couple more years if the contract is right. I would love for him to be the starting SF until Eason is ready

fattz likes this.
  19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This sentence alone should warrant the thread being locked. Kid hasn't even played a SECOND in the NBA and yet someone is already calling out his entire career. Idiocy at its finest.

20. xaos

xaos Member

Trade Eric Gordon for a future first
    Sign Nic Claxton

Play our young guys and develop them

If we are striving towards a play in situation (highly doubt it) trade for D.Murray if we are not keep going with what we have

sirjesse likes this.