1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No bro, the Kings are the dumber franchise

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

lel wut. cry of happiness i assume, since he and cade will be best friends till retirement?

TheJuice, Salvy and JumpMan like this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I get that. His weren't the only tears of the night.. This was something else.

Jontro likes this.
  3. Rokman

Rokman Member

Ratings.

4. Salvy

Salvy Member

He was crying because of the impact wamen have had in the nba and how ground breaking it was to have a wamen presenter for the first time ever .... I too was crying uncontrollably at such beautiful woke programming...

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i luv me sum whamens. i bet he cried in emd game when whamen saved spidey

Salvy likes this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

He must have been carried out of the cinema during this scene because it was so emotional and empowering.....
    [​IMG]

7. TimDuncanDonaut

They have Mitchell and Fox, and just traded away Haliburton. Sac was mocked for keeping drafting guards, now that they do something different, they still catch strays. For the record I would have kept Haliburton and am not entirely sold on Fox, but if Kings is high on Fox, I think folks can at least understand what they're trying to do.

In the NCAA prospect thread, had posted (a few times) that Kings was leaning Keegan. I just wasn't sure if they pick him directly or trade down to get him. So on draft night, wasn't surprised at King's pick. Am surprised at the national media's reaction, as I thought more people knew.

Both decent offensively, it's arguable that Murray might be more efficient (at least right now). And Kings is trying to win now. The upside and long term can certainly be argued, but their mandate is to win now.

Keegan 23 pts 61% eFG. 8.7 reb / 1.5 assist / win share: 8.7
    Ivey 17.3 pts 53.3% eFG. 4.9 reb / 3.1 assist / win share: 5.1

I know people are comparing Ivey to Ja (or Ja light), but it's not like Keegan played like a scrub in college. Am guessing it was a close decision for the Kings.

... And it also didn't help that Ivey's camp was showing signs that Ivey didn't want to go to Sacramento. Pels are met with issues extending Zion's rookie contract, as Zion have 'wandering eyes'. It's likely Kings factored that in as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#27 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Yung-T and TheJuice like this.
  8. Rockets4Life13

Beauchamp cried too but his reasoning was much more understandable, tbh.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was crying that he was happy Detroit picked him
    Instead of Sacramento

TheJuice and JumpMan like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Pistons point guard Jaden Ivey has connections to his new home city, as three members of his family played in Detroit during their athletic careers. And the Pistons are not shying away from that.

In Ivey’s introductory press conference, the Pistons presented their new player with his mother’s, father’s and grandfather’s jerseys from their time representing Detroit sports.

Ivey was surprised by the gesture and teared up when he realized what was happening.

aside from having his fam played for Detroit, man was able to avoid the dumpster fire of the Kings. Nothing wrong with crying a storm, man just avoided ruining his young nba career b4 it even began

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Everybody has the Pistons by far winning the draft pairing Ivey with Cunningham

Ivey is already penciled in as Ja 2.0

We'll see if they're the future Splash Bros 2.0 backcourt that they're being hyped as.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Cunningham + Ivey is more like Harden + Paul than Curry + Thompson.

13. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Exactly and they would of bit too, no question

14. Nook

Nook Member

Nope, Detroit wasn’t interested. I got it from the horses mouth.

tinman likes this.
  15. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

It's not impossible that Murray could be better than Ivey--Ivey's far from a proven NBA talent. Forgetting about whether or not he's "Ja," he has some pretty special scoring qualities that not a lot of guards possess--I think you have to select for those types of traits over a bit more polish or efficiency, especially high in the draft.

But I can easily see a route to Murray being a better NBA player. Even Ja Morant himself, latest patron saint for scoring guards, is dealing with a Ewing Effect where his team seems to at least do as well without him as with him and that's probably due his major defensive deficiencies--also, while he clearly can hit shots that none of his teammates can, he may be grabbing a huge share of points that other teammates could have scored. Call that the Westbrook Effect.

If Ivey is not particularly efficient at the NBA level and a defensive disaster, the Pistons aren't going to look nearly as good, and I say that as someone who's initial reaction to the draft was, "Wow, Houston and Detroit have really done some work over the past two drafts."

Zen Tabak and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well played by Detroit to bet on the Kings not finding someone to jump them for Ivey. I wonder if Oklahoma offer 11 and 12 (or the picks they sent for 11) to get Ivey? Maybe even throw in Dort to give the Kings something win now?

Detroit should have a fun team -- I like them acquiring Duren (and presumably not blowing a bunch of $$$ on Ayton now?). Cade, Duren, and Ivey should be fun.

Nook likes this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

Pistons recent draft pick history isn't exactly stellar. They picked correctly with Cade, but that was a #1 and hard to miss.

Other recent lottery picks busted for them already or didn't work out for whatever eason.

2021 (Non lottery: 37th JT Thor, 42nd Isaiah Livers, 52nd Luka Garza)
    2020 7th - Killian Hayes - already bust?
    2019 15th - Sekou D. - already off the team.
    2018 42nd - Bruce Brown - (not lottery pick, but a gem here, too bad they let him go too early)
    2017 12th - Luke Kennard - gone after 3 years.

As far as core, it's probably just Cade and Ivey for now. Detroit likes Saddiq. For me, Saddiq is still a wait and see. They do have the cap to sign a big name like Ayton. For now they have 2/5 core, and might be able to get a 3rd via free agent.

Next year regular season will be interesting HOU v DET. After this year's draft, I like our chances.

#37 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 25, 2022
    tinman likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ivey did really screw the Kings. He openly made it clear that he wouldn't go to Sac so Detroit wouldn't think they needed to trade up.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I think that Weaver has been pretty good. He signed Grant and then dealt him and ultimately got Duren with that pick/cap space.

Hayes is not a good pick at number 7. However he got a good return on Wood, Bey and Stewart and they look solid. Livers looks like a solid bench player. They have Cunningham and Ivey and Bey for their guard rotation. They have Duren and Stewart inside and they have lots of cap space. Don’t be surprised if they end up with Miles Bridges.

C Duren
    F Stewart
    (Bridges)
    G Ivey
    G Cunningham

OKC, DET and HOU all have promising foundations now.

I think OKC has the most promising at this point because of the assets they have

20. TimDuncanDonaut

I personally like beef Stew (more than most), though not sure if he'll be a starter or a backup F/Center. And yes, I'd rank OKC probably highest of the bottom four.

The draft history I referred was more organizationally. Weaver been there only 2 yrs. Same can be said when people talk about McNair. Flops like Bagley happend before his tenure. But I see people (not here) trashing Keegan, citing King's failures like Bagley... but then I'm like, I hope they do realize Marvin is in Detroit now, and technically could be Ivey's teammate. The judgement of "Kings will be kings" for many includes years before McNair's tenure.

If all these teams get something like +5 wins, that might be considered a success.

2021-22 season
    Thunder: 24-58
    Pistons: 23-59
    Magic: 22-50
    Rockets: 20-62
    Kings: 30-52​

Kings is a tier above the bottom. If they +5 to +7 wins, in the west, they might be in play-in territory. Keegan and all.

#40 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 25, 2022