1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you just missed where I said I have no problem with the pick, I said it twice in this very thread.

What people are saying is that it's no issue and it will be no problem for him to create a dribble-drive game and my question is why has he not done it to this point since it will be no problem?

You can be ok with a pick and still have questions on what kind of player they will actually be.

In a vacuum yes I would have taken Ivey over Smith but not on this team.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

From that link I just posted:

great read on why he’s #1

Drift Monkey, D-rock and Reeko like this.
  3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’d say just sit back and enjoy the ride, let the kid play before picking his game apart.

Drift Monkey, Moe and D-rock like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No.

If that happened there would be no reason for this forum and once again it's not picking his game apart from its talking about a glaring hole in his game.

You can do you and I can do me I have no idea why this bothers people so much.

The kid has played and that's how we know what he is lacking do you think he has been holding back?

Yung-T likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We're just being kind to our fellow man. Setting an example. :oops:

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  6. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

People could ask the same question about James Harden. He had a hard time going to his left until his second year with the Rockets. Jabari's shot will save him sometimes but he'll be predictable in the NBA and struggle when going to his left until he works hard on his ball handling. The great thing is he's far from reaching his ceiling. There's much more room for him to grow as a player. When he gets stronger like Giannis w/ better handles, he's going to be scary.

Drift Monkey and Moe like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes you did. You are just back paddling now.

You questioned his work ethic because he couldn't dribble.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't know what any of this has to do with anything I have said but ok.

I mean I can see that having trouble going to the left is the same as having almost no dribble-drive game and my entire point is people like you acting like he is capable of having better handles than Giannis just because.

And now we think he can be as strong as Giannis and attack the rim the same?

Wow!

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Except the team did make a choice. And they clearly made the choice to suck for 3 years (before our picks go to OKC). This really isn't in question. All their moves, from not taking Ben Simmons, getting Walls huge contract, not trading for win now players, etc. all show they want to create a craptacular team.

The Rockets had choices on how to rebuild and they clearly took the suck hard for 3 years plan. So as fans how do you want us to react? Obviously we have to go along and hope we get as much talent as possible in these 3 sucking years cause otherwise the future looks bleak

ico4498 likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He has one season as a true freshman and was one of the best players in the nation, so no I don’t think he was holding back. I’m just super excited with the pick and basking in the after draft glow. :D

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No, I did not I have said if he has such a great work ethic maybe he just does not have it in him or he is just scared to dribble or he does not think it's important, I never questioned if he actually had the work ethic.

Just stop getting your panties in a bunch.

Do you want to actually try and answer the question instead of coming at me?

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Other players who have had one season as a true freshman have much more developed dribble-drive games just look at the 2 guys who went before him.

I am excited as well but that does not change the fact I have questions if he can develop that part of his game.

You do you and stop acting like I don't have legitimate questions.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

u just said the Rockets aren’t tanking by choice, now it’s they made a choice…pick one

there are people who don’t even want to see improvement, they just want the team to suck as much as possible in order to tank

there are those who would be mad if the Rockets were even just the 4th worst team because it decreases lotto odds…they want the team to get their ass beat every night for whoever is the next hyped player

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Apparently when he showed up at Auburn, he was 197, so he's bulking up a bit, too. Not that I want him to be 250, unless he wants to be Giannis II with a jumpshot or something, in which case, I'm cool with it.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

High school 3 point shot is less than 20 feet and NCAA's is around 22 feet, so it's probably more impressive than you think. :D

Drift Monkey, D-rock and xaos like this.
  19. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I didn't say he'd have better handles than Giannis or attack the rim the same. I was comparing the two because of their similar body frames when first entering the league. In my response I highlighted you saying "my question is why has he not done it to this point since it will be no problem?" Hence why I mentioned James Harden and the hard time he had going to his left until his second year with the Rockets.

Players have weaknesses and work on their games. It's part of the process. If they're lazy with no work ethic, then there's reason to worry. People will be very disappointed if they expect Jabari to be the perfect player his rookie season.
    Look up all of draft profiles of your favorite players and you'll see they all had weaknesses before getting drafted. Here's Kevin Durant - https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kevin-durant/ Players are also drafted because of their potential. As long as he works hard at improving his game there's no reason to worry.

#599 BasketballMind, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Great! We've got a 7 footer with shoes now and a 7 footer without shoes later!

Drift Monkey, D-rock and xaos like this.