1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Jabari be the next Dirk?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface281, Jun 25, 2022.

1. fattz

fattz Member

The thing I like most about him he seems to be a team first type player. I hope the coaching staff molds him utilizing his best skill sets not some offensive system they come up with. In many ways he is like clay in a potters hands. This is why development critical. Do you trust the organization because that is what the kid is going to look like most. Jabari is going to do what is expected and asked of him; he will develop those skills first.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A Dirk style scorer is definitely the path for him to become an individual scorer. He's not quite as tall as Dirk, but frontcourt defenders in the modern NBA are generally shorter thanks to the focus on switching.

Him simply posting up on the low block and shooting over shorter people. He didn't have major problems at Auburn shooting with people in his space , but it wasn't something they tried. No clue whatsoever if he can do it, but I hope they at least explore it.

Scarface281 likes this.
  3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Fixed. Cmon now….

sirjesse and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Young Rasheed Wallace

sirjesse and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

We got a seven ft Klay Thompson Dirk Nowitzki hybrid who shoots better than Hakeem Olajuwon?

upload_2022-6-25_8-15-27.gif

6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Sengun been doing the one leg fadeaway

sirjesse, Rudyc281 and Ghost5Horse6 like this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

The beauty of picking Jabari is he is already a lot of things NBA teams are dying to get their hands on: an elite shooting big who can defend multiple positions at a very high level.

With that description keep in mind there aren't many of those guys around. To me the comparison that makes the most sense NOW is a 6'10" Klay because of their similar strengths and fact that they don't have any wasted dribbles. They both get the ball and it's pass, shoot, dribble to get to a spot and shoot. I've seen Rashaad Lewis and that's fair - on offense. Keep in mind regarding Rashaad Lewis, he'd be way more effective in today's NBA than he was back then. That and you add elite defense and modern day switchability and you're talking about a dang good base for a player.

With that being said, guys like Leonard came into the NBA with a similar decisive, no wasted moves offensive mentality. Pop saw that Leonard could be more than just an elite defender, but also a go to scorer.

Jabari really has a unique opportunity to make his career whatever he and the coaching staff wants to make it. If he wants to be a 6'10" Klay for the rest of his career, that's a max contract player. If you don't know Klay's importance to the dynasty Warriors you're fooling yourself. There is no Warriors without Klay, Draymond, and of course the most important piece: Steph. If Jabari wants to expand his game he absolutely can. He can be a unique PF/Wing hybrid. Guys like Leonard, Tim Duncan, Klay mold of the no wasted dribbles or movements. No, I'm not comparing his game to Duncan; just the mold of player and approach to the game. I know people want him to dribble the air out of the ball to prove he has a dribble package and that will somehow make him more valuable, but one of the main points of being able to dribble is to get to your spot and get a shot off that you're able to hit efficiently. Jabari likely won't ever have Tatum handles. That's not something you suddenly get after turning 20. But, what he can get are a few go to moves that gets him to his spot and when he gets to his spot he can make them. He's a confident guy with determination.

The thing that I love about Jabaris game is he will never be played out of a game because he is a defensive mismatch or not useful on offense. Even on off shooting nights he will still need to be respected from 3 and can still make a big impact defensively. As he evolves his go to moves he could really become one of the most unique players in the entire NBA.

#27 xaos, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  8. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

If we are going to coach him up might as well bring in Patrick Ewing to teach him the three step walk and never have it called sweeping jump hook.

9. marinara

marinara Member

He plays like Rashard Lewis.

why doesn’t anyone listen to me :(

10. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

fine with him being Jabari Smith.

raining threes and fattz like this.
  11. raining threes

With a much better shot.

I lol at posters that think a 20 year old is a finished product that will be unable to improve his game.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. raining threes

You sound like me talking to my ex wife.

13. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Ya'll gotta stop with these comparisons lol Stone said it himself and I agree with him there is no one to compare this kid too.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Classic comparison there OP. Lmao

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Sweet, we have a young MJ and Dirk on the roster :cool: Next season we should draft our Magic or Kareem. ;)

16. raining threes

Not a fan of a hof player.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

No one knows a comparison.

I was trying to compare him as better Tayshaun Prince once, and some people on the board were like no Prince was much better at defense and driving with a more complete offensive game.

Let's just appreciate Jabari as Jabari.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That's not a horn tooting. That's you making horn sounds.

Scarface281 likes this.
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He’s Otis Thorpe mixed with Bullard.

20. TimDuncanDonaut

He is his own man. His defense upside is likely higher than Dirk.

The hard work thing is not lip service. Babies don't just come out the womb and become a dead-eye shooter. It's lot of practice and hours in the gym. With that kind of work ethic (and physical gifts), his ceiling is really high.

6'10" and a high release, hard for most NBA guys to guard. A skilled baller in a skill valued league. I'm still pinching myself that he fell to us.

BallSoHarden likes this.