1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari off the dribble

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface281, Jun 23, 2022.

1. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I can't help but ask....why are we assuming a 19/20 year old's game is final and he has no room to grow? Asking about what to do when he asks for the max when he hasn't played even a SL game yet? Assuming he can't improve his handle? Assuming he can't improve his lift?

I played some sports in college. Not anywhere near D1or anything but I didn't grow into my ability until 20/21 years old. Hops weren't at my peak until then, and I wasn't training my whole life to play in the NBA. Jabari has. When he develops and matures, I hink he can be a beast.

2. liveguy

liveguy Member

3 > 2

DaDakota and Zen Tabak like this.
  3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

it's what I keep wondering as well. He just turned 19 last month yet a couple posters here want to set a cap on what he can improve on. He doesn't need to be Kyrie level at handling but he can for sure get better. he has the work ethic clearly

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Maybe watch him play a few games in the NBA before making sweeping statements?

I would think people would have learnt after Jalen Green.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

No he doesn't nor can he put the ball on the floor. If his shot was so good, why did he shoot 40% from the floor? He's an ok shooter, but lets not act like he's Klay or Steph. Those college 3pt ers, LMA killed that range even early on. Not to mention LMA was alot stronger coming out. Go back and watch LMA vs Rockets in his early years.

6. dmoneybangbang

We aren't assuming that but there's a reason why he went 3rd as the NBA really values the ability to create for yourself and others.

RockFanFirst, Yung-T and leebigez like this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

My thoughts are, he already has a fade, rise up, dirk move, and step back. So the reality is that repertoire is more than enough to score at will. He's gonna have a lot of room to score already in addition to the dunks. But he's so long he will likely be effective on the drive in no time and get to the line for a few easy baskets. He's gonna be fine. He looks a little uncomfortable at the FT line for some unknown reason despite the .79%, but that is good enough. So bottom line, if he can't drive and finish who cares, so many moves to score and create separation, but I think he drive the lane with success regardless.

Believe It! and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Hey, thanks for this. Sure someone already said it, but I think you confused the scouting reports? This stuff is really encouraging. It took Rashard Lewis a few years to get this kind of package. It's very encouraging that he's got a bunch of little moves and counters to get space already. But that's all this is. The question about whether he can be more than RL on offense and be a big star is whether he can get from the three-point line to the rim with the dribble, either in the pick and roll or by beating his man or off the short roll. And whether he can grab and go lead the break. That's a ton to ask of a big man, and why Paolo went #1.

To say Jabari could get there is saying he's going to take a considerable weakness and develop it into a well-well-above average for his size strength. I sure hope he can, but it seems a lot to hope that he can become anywhere near Banchero with the ball. I think the most we could reasonably hope for is Tatum or PG13.

9. MultipleSauces

Jabari is gonna be Gianni’s evil twin

10. Rokman

Rokman Member

But he'll have to pry the ball out of Woods hands first. . . . . . . . Oh man, how great is it that that's not really the case.?!

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

12. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

His shot reminds me of Jordan

Fullcourt likes this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeah, if Gianni could shoot.

MultipleSauces and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Step back is nice to have, not must have, if you are just able to shoot over everybody.

15. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

This. Green, Porter and Sengun are going to get this guy so many open shots and his defense and hustle will be infectious.

raining threes and VoR like this.
  16. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Negative nancies out in force. This dood was projected 1st by almost everyone for a reason .

17. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I know someone else who was drafted 3rd and ended up being considered the G.O.A.T, jus saying. Orlando and OKC had their reasons for taking the players they took, sometimes that might not be about the player they didn’t take skill set or potential. Let’s just let the guy get in camp, get some coaching and development and actually play some ball for us before we pass judgement. All you pro scouts/GMs/Player personnel guys will just have to wait and see what he really is.

Can’t wait for Vegas summer league to see all these guys play a lil bit. But I’m sure the scouts/GMs will be back on here with their gavels, passing judgement based on those first few games of his career.

raining threes and houston19519 like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't like these shots either, but two important notes:

1) Sometimes in the playoffs, you will be aggressively forced into that shot in a handful of possessions. Guys like Paul, KD, Dirk, Kobe make those shots and it gives you an edge that your bailout shot is still getting you an efficient look even in a bad situation. I repeat though: if that's happening too often, your creators are being lazy (see: Carmelo).

2) He needs ONE step closer to the basket though, just one foot inside the 3pt line is pretty and swaggy but ultimately mediocre. If you're murdering that shot, then please take one extra step and at least get the defense away from your shooters while opening up new passing angles.

This dude is going to destroy people off Green's penetration and Sengun's inside-out passing ability. I doubt he can ever be guarded that closely on this team.

raining threes, xaos and Yung-T like this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He looks ok. Where is the video of his defense?

20. MultipleSauces

That’s why he’s the evil twin who can shoot but can’t drive like Giannis

clos4life likes this.