1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Knicks are the stupidest franchise in the history of sports

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jun 23, 2022.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

If it is for $20M a year, they won't get him...Mavs will keep him. Knicks would have to hugely overpay...and if they do, then Mavs should work a sign and trade. Which would likely need to be multi team....not sure Knicks have players the Mavs would want, that they would trade?

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

All those picks might be good enough for them to trade for Kyrie?

SamFisher likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

Interesting read of a different perspective:

https://arizonasports.com/story/318...z-phoenix-suns-mockery-of-nba-draft-scouting/
    https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/in...x-suns-plan-nail-nba-draft-mostly-ignoring-it

Obviously the Warriors were built through the draft and have dominated the last decade, but other championship teams were largely built through trades and free-agency (Miami, Cleveland, Toronto, LA as recent examples).

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm listening to Zac Lowe & Bobby Marks and they're like "I don't really see any problems here".

I don't get why people don't realize that these 3 picks are probably more valuable than #11 regardless of Brunson's status. Like, it's not that hard! I know it's hard for Stephen A Smith and @what, but for most people this doesn't seem that hard:

The first pick is probably high teens to low 20's
    The second is probably mid-teens
    the third is ???? almost nearly unprotected - who knows what the Bucks are doing in 2025. Teams rise and fall fast.

Collectively, this is > than #11.

There's a small risk some weird stars align and they don't convey, but I'd take this over #11 if I was either rebuilding OR if I was looking to attach picks to win now.

There's a reason why peopel are saying the draft pick value chart tilts in NYK's direction over OKC after this trade.

#25 SamFisher, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I guess the Phoenix don't care about Drafting, it shows now.

Ignoring DeAndre Ayton, now he will leave Phoenix.

It starts with a Passionate Owner, GM, Scouts that Love Basketball, Work overtime in Scouting having friendly debates on players to Select in the Draft.

Drafting Star Players Starts Dominant Championship Franchises

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess the question is, will those protected future picks turn them around? I assume that none of those would be higher than 11, and probably can't be packaged to get a difference-maker top picks.

9. SamFisher

They probably won't but neither will 11, in all likelihood.

I think people see 11 and 21 and think it's the same difference as 11 and 1, since it's 10 spots, but it's a curve not a line, and 11 is closer to 21 than to 1.

hakeem94, Nook, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I get your point and kind of agree. It's not as bad as people think. To me, it's just much ado about nothing. It's like doing a series of trades just to exchange Danny Green for Jeff Green + Gerald Green.

SamFisher and payaso like this.
  11. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

I don't think the trade was awful, but I don't like it for New York--those picks are heavily protected, so unlikely to become anything special. And I think you need the chance for the picks (one of them at least) to become something special for it to be worth trading a pick today (especially a pretty good one) for picks in the future. For the picks to both be deferred and heavily protected makes the return very weak, IMO.

12. SamFisher

The other thing that people are missing is the 2025 Bucks pick - the one that's only top 4 protected - could be pretty high! Or pretty low. Or in between.

People assume since the Bucks are good now, they'll be good 3 whole seasons from now. Really? Thats a lifetime in the NBA. The Bucks have 2 of their current players under contract for 24-25 (Giannis age 31 season and Holiday age 35)

That's not a lock to win 55 games! Who knows what happens to the rest of that team or if Giannis is even still there at that point.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Going all in for Brunson. Could b nepotism, but at least the mavs gets weaker if Knicks poach Brunson.

Knicks could b the dumbest franchise for all I care as long as it benefits us. A weaker division rival is always swell

#33 DatRocketFan, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    TimDuncanDonaut and JamesC like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

His dad whom the Knicks hired was fired for cause by the Wolves. (an incident at our backyard no less),

source: Atheltic:

"The most recent incident came during the playoffs, when a woman who does not work for the team lodged a complaint with the Timberwolves after Brunson made several unwanted advances toward her while at the arena for games against the Houston Rockets, sources told The Athletic.

The woman met with Timberwolves officials, who investigated the matter and ultimately determined that Brunson was not meeting the standards set by the franchise for its employees."

15. jayland

jayland Member

Sounds like Brunson senior will fit right in with the Knicks. https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200503-ripf54itz5c6dlo6wuduljqu34-story.html

16. what

what Member

If the Knicks offer 175 million to Jalen Brunson and I am the Dallas Mavericks I’ll let him walk.
    In fact I would offer 15 million a year or something like that to Tyus Jones and be happy with it.
    Jalen is a good player but he ain’t worth 175 million.
    Although Dallas screwed the pooch here because they could’ve got him for 55 million — it was stupid and short-sided.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did Dallas not offer
    or
    Did Brunson turn it down?

As some on said he can be a solid #3
    I think his ceiling is Kyle Lowry
    Which is not bad at all

Rocket River

18. what

what Member

he asked for it, but Dallas never made an offer.
    So I don’t see any loyalty he might have in this instance.
    Again, Tyus is the bargain player who never turns the ball over and gets the team in the right sets.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Reverse jinx says Knicks makes playoffs this year?

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't get it with Brunson, dude is going to get paid this year though.

Dude is over here having scheduled meetings like he's Lebron James.

SamFisher likes this.