1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

a point that may be getting glossed over in all the handwringing about "what this means...":

the Supreme Court did not rule that there is no right to abortion. They merely stated that there is no such right in the constitution. those of you who have read your constitution will know that rights that are not enumerated are reserved for the people. and this is what the court said today: the people and their representatives (but I repeat myself) must make this decision for themselves.

SCOTUS is not your parents, and you've been kicked out of the (abortion rights) basement.

2. basso

Supporting Member

Obama always aspired to be a transformational president.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This makes zero sense and shows a lack of how actual governments works, which explains a lot.

I have no idea why people like to point fingers so much and blame somebody else.

It's hilarious that you blame the "democratic party" as if there is a central body that makes the rules and then all democrats follow them.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pence and others have said that they will push for a national abortion ban if Republicans take Congress.

Also as the Justice branch as a coequal branch of government is supposed to represent the people.

Nook likes this.
  5. basso

Supporting Member

if they take control of congress it will mean this issue did not mean enough to democrats to galvanize them to vote differently.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes that is a good point but does show that contrary to Alito's argument that this should be a matter for the states there are many on the anti-abortion side who want to nationalize it.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What is this crap?

Some reasoned post with your actual thoughts on a subject and the realistic impact of the news? Not really what this forum is about.

This place is to scream how this is the end of the world and watch how Mostly Peaceful™ it gets tonight.

All things are wearisome, more than one can say. The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear its fill of hearing.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Speaking personally I don't hate or despise those who have an honest and sincere belief that life begins at conception and as such abortion is taking life. I can't say for certain when life begins and have my own moral reservation regarding abortion.

The problem that I have though is so many politicians who simulataneously talk aobut protecting innocent lives do so little or even the opposite to protect life. Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick might be celebrating today as a victory for "Life" yet during the height of COVID said that "there are more important things than living.."

If we really want to stop abortion we need to address the root causes of why people seek abortions. One of the biggest reasons is because it isn't easy or cheap to raise a child. Instead of making it easier to raise a child by improving child healthcare, funding pre-K, providing maternity leave and etc... We've seen many of those same politicians do the exact opposite.

The "Culture of Life" that they like to talk about once out of the womb is practically meaningless.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

How would that work exactly? Woman shows up for abortion and claims rape/incest and Alabama decides to quickly convene a court and have a trial to determine what happened on the spot? It’s not like they’re just going to believe her so how could those exceptions even be implemented?

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I haven't seen libs this upset since yesterday

Bandwagoner, Os Trigonum and basso like this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can we please stop with the "protecting life" bulls***? The christian conservative right is not protecting life. They are merely protecting forced birth. What happens after that is someone else's problem.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

My understanding is that this will require a court to determine that a rape or incest has occured.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

14. basso

Supporting Member

Alito said this should be a matter for the *people*.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't have the exact text in front of me but my recollection was "for the people through their proper representatives of the states."

Either way this ruling does make a national abortion ban possible.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

So are we going to have some child support in place for all these new babies born?

No Worries likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why do u keep quoting me? Whatever u got to say doesn’t mean sh*t

Bandwagoner likes this.
  18. basso

Supporting Member

why would the rayciss christian right what to force the birth of 20M black babies?

19. basso

Supporting Member

close. it does not include "of the states."

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I keep quoting you because you keep posting stuff, that's how these things work.

So you don't actually have any answers just more b****ing about "democrats".