1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thanks!!

Admittedly I was behind on the Jabari content because it seemed like an impossiblity.

My conclusion is that he will NEVER be KD handle wise. But he can be more KG like handle wise as he gets comfortable in his body, athleticism, handle and gets bigger. Power dribble drives. Into shots over people or doubles that he passes out of. Honestly potentially better offensively given how amazing he is at shooting. Whether he can ever be the passer KG is, probably not, but KG only attempted more than 1 three a game once in his entire career.

Defensively... i mean KG is an all time all time great defensively so Jabari wont be that high, but should be able to make multiple all defensive teams at some point.

2. JayZ750

Yep. The question is definitely why? Hopeful its just because it takes time to level up.

Remember, even with Paolo there were aspects to his high school tape that we didn't see in college at all.... but i personally felt pretty strongly would get back into his game slowly at the pro level.

If Jabari comes out in summer league and shows us more of this package immediately i will be shocked but so so happy. More than likely it will take a few years.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

How many titles does KD have outside of GS?

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, we will see I just keep getting a strong Ariza vibe and flashing back to him pump faking and then throwing up a wild shot at the basket and he had much better handles. :eek:

I know Smiths overall offensive game is much more polished but he is a guy who never developed a dribble-drive game.

5. JayZ750

This is pretty interesting.

Without a doubt, most of his offensive was INCREDIBLY similar to how Jabari scores today.

But also i think without a doubt, the few times he did utilize his handle, you could tell it was more fluid and advanced.

But it is promising.

Drift Monkey, D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I am comparing there offensive games in college to each other.

There style of shooting is very similar.

I have already mentioned the handle is what will determine Jabari's future.

Drift Monkey and JayZ750 like this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I watched a bit of Jabari earlier in the draft process . I like him a lot .

the guy he reminds me of is Patrick Patterson , but taller , younger , and a 3pt shooter .

I remember Morey saying we had Patterson 6 on our board right ? Or was that a joke ?

anyways , a suped-up modern day version of PPat sounds great . He’s got far greater perimeter defensive ability too . Not quite as good on the boards yet tho

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Smith does some of the same stuff that Durant did but his overall offensive game was much more diverse.

I will admit that that one video was verry similiar to what Smith did in college.

JayZ750 likes this.
  9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Patrick Patterson is a damn scrub, please don’t compare that scrub to Jabari! Jabari is already way better than him.

10. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I see him as a wing defensively but a stretch 4 on offense. Even if he doesn't develop a great handle, I am hoping that the ability to take a few power dribbles in and either rise up or kick out would be enough.

Not to mention with his height and touch, he should be able to build in a a bit of a post up/fade/counter game.

I don't think it will be in the cards for him to create like Banchero but thats OK. We just build the team a bit differently. If we had gotten Paolo, we'd be looking to compliment the group a certain way over the next 15 months. Now that we have Smith, we just will compliment a bit different. TyTy may address some of that. We have to hope that Jalen becomes an elite perimeter creator for others or probably find that via draft/trade/free agency. Having Al P is going to make that role easier. It's all about if Green/Jay/Ty and KPJ (if he stays) can create enough for others efficiently enough.

12. 34to11

34to11 Member

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would love this to be true.

But Stone admitted he had no clue as to what was going down.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

He should have Kobayashi Maru'd the question with "10 All Stars and 3 Rings".

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

This kid is no nonsense.

All about the work, all about the W's.

Hui and groovemachine like this.
  17. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Been reading about the Aldridge/Jackson comparisons. Curious to get the experts' take on how Smith might be compared to Bosh?

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Jabari is the best fit possible for this squad imo. I love the fact he expects to come in and make the playoffs. It’ll take a year or two but gotta love the mentality… Let’s goooo!!!! :D

D-rock likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So if he is all about the work he just has no hope for an advanced dribble game or he does not think it's important?

Not to be negative but I am just tired of hearing about this great work ethic when he has so many holes in his game.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not anywhere near the post-up game nor dribble drive.

Yung-T likes this.