1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

A good democratic response to this, finally.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand. And I'm not sure why the senators would accept their answers at face value. But their claim is that they were promised.

I am very doubtful that they didn't fully understand what they were doing when they voted to confirm

arkoe, Rocket River and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are a complete waste of time in this forum.

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Source?

5. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I do not plan or expect to ever have an abortion. It's not a choice I could foresee myself ever making with my significant other, regardless of legality.

I do hope to have a child one day though. Living in Texas, if they pass the laws they plan to pass, it will be significantly more dangerous for my SO if she were to ever have any pregnancy complications. By pushing these laws, you are telling me that if we have any complications in pregnancy in this state, we may need to go consult a lawyer to make sure it's legal to save my SO's life. And that's even if we find a doctor willing to take the risk of legal action that this state is potentially imposing on them if they assist in any sort of abortion.

For those celebrating, you are not saving any lives, and in fact this will only cause more lives to be complicated or even lost. You should not feel good about yourselves. Some of the countries with the most lax and liberal abortion laws have the lowest rates of abortion. If you truly are "pro life" and care about "saving babies", I suggest you research those countries and look at the things that actually lead to lower abortions. Paid family leave, affordable childcare, sex education, contraception access, increased healthcare access and reduced healthcare costs among other things. But I tend to find that the same "pro life" crowd is against these things . I'm guessing because it's a decision from emotion rather than one based in logic or facts, where you hope to find the easiest answer that doesn't seem to disrupt things, rather than the logical and good solution. But I assure you a state ban on reproductive rights is not a solution at all, at least if your goal is to save lives.

I know many of you with that mindset only will start to think about once it happens to affect you, and hopefully it won't, and I say hopefully because I wouldn't wish that upon any of you because I'm not hateful even if I'm right now angry. But it most definitely could affect you, and I would implore you to reconsider before it does.

#165 Astrosfan183, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad that Padme didn't abort Luke and Leia

Universe was saved from the empire breh

[​IMG]
    @MojoMan

basso and MojoMan like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

honestly, I can believe that Collins might feel a certain sense of incredulity or disbelief. I'm sure all Democrats do today--a little like when Putin invaded Ukraine, pretty much the whole world was like "I can't believe Putin just did that," but of course he did just do that, and with plenty of warning signs ahead of time.

I just think a lot of folks never really thought it would come to this. Members of Congress as well. But then again, those members of Congress kicked the abortion can down the road all those years, despite the warning signs that were just as clear as those about Putin.

basso and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. TheresTheDagger

https://www.congress.gov/115/meetin...RG-115-JU10-Wstate-ParkerS-20171101-SD001.pdf
    Keep in mind it's been 11 years since this CDC report was issued so it's safe to assume over 20 million by now if it was 19 million then.

Thanks for asking the question @Andre0087

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

True, but even if they codified Roe into federal legislation who's stopping the SC from declaring it unconstitutional?

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess that could solve the problem of people leaving those states.

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Have you ever read him in the other forums?

jiggyfly, Ubiquitin and DonnyMost like this.
  13. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I am also in the same boat. My wife and I are trying to conceive right now and she will likely be almost or over 40 years old. There is a increased chance for genetic anomalies or pregnancy complications at that age. My wife and I have agreed to have abortion be on the table as an option if prenatal genetic testing reveals that the fetus has a severe genetic defect. Since prenatal genetic testing can't be done until about 10 weeks of pregnancy, we'll have to leave Texas to talk to a provider about our options.

Abortion sucks, but I would still want it to be an option for those who need it.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

See: Pence calls for national abortion ban as Trump, GOP celebrate end of Roe

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

16. TheresTheDagger

I never said we should always SUPPORT the majority opinion. Not sure where you got that from. Respect? Yes. Support? That all depends...

Yes. And then we should work to change hearts and minds so they stop believing those things.

Meanwhile, you haven't stated what we should do...it appears by your comments here you prefer ignoring our Constitutional Republic institutions and the anarchy that would ensue.

SImply responding to your attempt to bring race into an argument about a court ruling on Roe vs. Wade.

A fetus isn't life?

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The fall of segregation lead to the Pro Life movement once SCWs realized that they lost the “race war”.

Connect the dots to where the SCW train is heading.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Given the gerrymandering in red states not sure how that works.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is really RBG fault. She should have known what the GOP was heading too.

Roberts said he is not in favor of overturning the law.

Nook and Rocket River like this.