1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2022 NBA Draft/1-17] Tari Eason, F, LSU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Tari Eason?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

99.1%
  2. NO

0.9%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes i am aware of what the modern nba entails but fielding a team of a ton of 3 and D players isn't the way. Everything has to balance. Versatility is actually the key

Student Loan, kjayp, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  2. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Fact is we put zero resources into him
    We picked him up out of a dumpster

hopefully he’s ok with being the second units Sg

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Michael Kidd Gilchrist vibes??

I hope not

4. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Another advantage of drafting Tari is that he can smother Jabari and Jalen during practices until they both get used to tough defenses. This helps elevate his defense more while also having our other players elevate their game even with tough coverage.

5. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Marcus Smart made some dumb play too and he's DPOY. Eason was drafted for defensive purpose not for playmaking. Unless his IQ is so low to even know how to switch on defense. It's not that big of a deal. We totally didn't expect Nets pick in 17th anyway. It's not like we use our 2nd pick on Stromile Swift.

D-rock likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with the defense stuff, but Jabari is the PF plus version of Bamba with additional upside.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I came in here to post something similar. I love the idea of Green having to face Jabari and Tari in practice.

slothy420, Corrosion, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  8. verysimplejason

I'm just basing it with how many 3&D guys the GSW have. Their current roster has at least 3 + SGs that are mostly 3&D guys for at least half of their life as well. This is how you play 4 or 5 out to create more space. They also don't have issues with switching. They have enough defenders to guard Tatum, Brown and Smart. They have enough 3s even if Klay or Curry is having an off night.

D-rock likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

GS isn't an actual barometer. Not sure why you're basing it off them. The rockets aren't built anything like them. nobody is

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. verysimplejason

Ok. If you say so. But I think most of the teams right now are looking more and more like GSW. They just can't mimic Green and Curry. GSW is the most successful team this decade afterall.

11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If Green and Jabari can extend their range and perfect their shot, it is not crazy to use some GSW concepts regarding spacing. Even having one guy with legit natural range out to 30 ft could do wonders.

The key thing is that the Rockets need some motion elements to their system. GSW constant movement, Winter's triangle offense, Adelman's motion offense. These get some easy buckets and raise floors for your players on offense. It maximizes a guy like Alp's strength's, and hopefully Green if he can become an above average playmaker. It makes it harder to go through scoring droughts. It also takes pressure off your best players to have to "carry the offense" with isolation players all the time.

Rockets have at least one isolation scorer in Green. Alp could get there too with a better system that teaches the wings better entry passing. They just need the system to work around them now.

12. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Absolutely love this addition. My goodness. Tall, can dunk, block, shoot the 3, defend, active...

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

more and more teams? can you name 1 team that looks anything like GS

Drift Monkey likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's no such thing as duplicating 2 historical shooters like Curry/Klay and the movement off the ball. Why are people acting like this is so easily duplicated and to mirror. It's not. There's a reason why this is considered historical and generational. Green/Jabari are nothing like curry/klay and vice versa

Stop trying to duplicate someone else and being something you're not. That's not how you build a team the right way. You build a team that's best for you not someone else

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying they should copy-paste it. Obviously that cannot happen. I'm saying they should try to borrow some elements of their game and system. My whole thing was that GSW maximizes space and movement. It is why they are so effective, especially when they integrate very good athletes into their system. Are you saying no other team has every done and no team can ever do again?

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

its effective because of their team and their personnel. Doesn't mean another team can and should mirror it. If you want to take bits and pieces from someone else go ahead, but if it doesn't fit your personnel than that's a waste of time and the wrong decision. And all you're doing is trying to create an identity that goes away from what you should be doing

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

So what is the offensive system that best fits the Rockets' personnel?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

how anyone answers that with clear conviction, when the rockets just added 3 brand new 1st round picks that have never played on this team would be pretty amazing

#159 YOLO, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

pippendagimp, D-rock and Drift Monkey like this.