1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING! Paolo Banchero Now the Betting Favorite to go No.1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 23, 2022.

1. csc177

csc177 Member

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It is what it is. Both Smith and Banchero (and Chet and Ivey, etc) can be great. We don’t have to turn this into the messy Mobley Mob bs that was seen last season.

3. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

Right after the lottery I said the Magic will pick Paolo...I wanted him on the Rockets but oh well

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

imo...
    most were betting on Jabari - based on Orlando misinformation...
    yesterday somebody in FLA put a ton of money on Paolo - moving the odds...
    common bettors were still buying the disinformation - and moved the line back...
    such an 'insider information' situation...
    thats why im shocked entities like the Las Vegas Gaming Commission allow betting on something that is based on a decision - rather than an 'anything can happen' sporting event...

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm ecstatic. Jabari was my number one since I watched one of his SEC games. It was a no-brainer. You couldn't build a better player for the modern NBA in a lab.

Now that we took Jabari we aren't 100% mandated to take the best 3-and-D available. We are free for some home run swings, like Jaden Hardy.

rhee, Verbal Christ and TheJuice like this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So, the betting community got it right and the NBA analysts got it wrong.

Maybe my next box of cereal will have the answer to String Theory?

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  7. vator

vator Contributing Member

I blocked Woj. He’ll never know it, but I feel good about it. He lied to me and I can never trust him again.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Still processing how wild what happened last night was. Both ORL & OKC worked out Jabari and both of them passed. ORL ends up going with Paolo sight unseen in a shocking turn of events. Anxious to start reading Weltmans thoughts throughout the process.

jiggyfly, lionaire and vator like this.
  9. vator

vator Contributing Member

Damn I didn’t even think about that part. Thanks for putting that in my head lol

I went to the draft party and was with a pro Banchero group. The vibes were completely ruined after pick number 1 was called.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I can imagine. I've been riding that Banchero wave for a while now. Im all in on Jabari though. He will unlock certain aspects of this team that will be crucial for winning meaningful basketball games in the future.

jiggyfly and vator like this.
  11. lionaire

lionaire Member

Same, I'm still pretty devastated lol. I can't shake this feeling that we got played.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. MystikArkitect

Orlando got the pick right in general and for their team. Paolo was head and shoulders a better prospect than both Chet and Jabari. Rockets were in the best position because of their current team construct. They either get the best player in the draft or the best fit for their team.

It's a different outlook now but this solidifies Sengun as our playmaking big and the two man kickout game between him and Jabari will be a thing to see. We also can move forward with a more modern NBA construct with a lot of switchable defenders. Still pretty disappointed, not going to lie. I like Jabari and think he'll be great. He's just not as sexy of a prospect as Banchero. Paolo/Green would've been must see TV.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah on our end its business. Im looking at Orlando and smirking at how they treated Jabari and allowed his feelings to get muddled. Not sure what was to be gained by playing it the way they did instead of just saying "yeah Paolo is our guy". I hope Jabari lights that franchise up for the rest of his career.

Paolo was the best player in the draft. Him going 1 was justification for a lot of the guys who supported him. He'll do great in Orlando. Jabari will do great things here too Im sure of it.

KingSamJack, jiggyfly, Denovo and 4 others like this.
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

How did we get “played?” We literally took the guy who fell to 3, exactly as we should have.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Some anti Paolo and pro Jabari

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Now I have to hate the person I loved for the last two years

17. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

You guys don't have to cope and call Paolo bad now.

Some like me always had Paolo a tier above Jabari.

Fact: Orlando and OKC both had Paolo above Jabari on their boards.

jiggyfly and ashleyem like this.
  18. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

No need to hate. Magic will mess up somehow and Paolo will dip. Who knows, he might join us later down the road

D-rock likes this.
  19. i3artow i3aller

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Yeah. I saw it post on reddit. Someone claimed working close with Magic front office put a bet on Paolo going first. I thought people with inside info can't bet. Thought it was fake.

kjayp likes this.