1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari and Sengun is a duo made in heaven

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 24, 2022.

1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think it is more about roles than classical positions - and having a rim protector definitely helps. That being said, this doesn’t have to be a classical center. Eason is a beast, Jabari is decent and should get better and Sengun actually did ok, he was just fouling too much.

2. Denovo

Denovo Member

That would be nice. Would raise his ceiling even higher.

I expect a breakout season as a starter this year regardless.

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

After every pick last night, my first thought was, what can Sengun do with this guy?

Actually, after Jabari it was my second thought. My first was HOLY ****ING ****!!

4. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

that's worrisome cause Banchero is apparently still growing, something like 7 ft now

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

How many larger post-up centers will the team play in the playoffs to need that guy?

Two...Jokic and Embid. Maybe Anthony Davis can resurrect his career, so 3? Even Giannis is more of a face up guy.

Sure, it would be great to have a guy on the roster to defend those players in a pinch, but it not a requirement for a team this young still trying to find it's sea legs. If and when they get to the level of needing one for a playoff series, they can pay a little a good FA.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This isn’t remotely true.
    He’s 6’9 barefoot, 6’10 in shoes with a 7’1 wingspan.
    Still undersized but don’t have to lie about it

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Jabari may be the best 3pt shooter at his height to come out in the last 10 years, but that's not even his biggest strength. It's defense and defensive versatility, he is elite in all aspects of defense including post defense (may need to add a few pounds until it translates in the NBA).

jcmoon, dcfma, Drift Monkey and 11 others like this.
  8. xaos

xaos Member

I personally think Evan Mobley will win DPOY some point in his career and will be the anchor of a top 10 defense for years to come. But, I don't watch a whole lot of college basketball - just a few games of the top prospects. So this question is reletive to Pre-NBA

My question is who is the better switch defender? The NBA places such an emphasis on bigs being able to switch.

*note: whoever ultimately is the better switch defender I don't think it changes the fact that both will be some of the best big switch defenders and that alone helps avoid other teams seeking it out for mismatches come playoff time

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Prefacing with we don't know how Jabari will translate to the nba yet while we have already seen Mobley so not really fair, but based on college, Jabari is the much better switch defender while Mobley is the better anchor/shot blocker. Mobley is going to develop into a center, while Jabari is wing/pf hybrid.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Sengun and Smith:
    [​IMG]

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

It's just another cog in the well-rounded machine that this roster is shaping up to be. No real hurry to get one, but having one (the right one) just makes the team better.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Agreed.

I'm still anti KPJ, but other than that I'm excited about the next few seasons. So glad we were able to move Wood. It's still going to be a long season where we probably won't win 30 games, but still excited to watch!!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

No. Alperen is 6'9.5" barefoot with a 7-foot wingspan.
    Most of you guys have all been slobbering over Paolo's jock and soon as he went elsewhere you started fangirling Jabari.
    I hope Alpi's traded very soon.

14. hakeemthagreat

Actually, I think Jabari on the court with Tate is the real interest. Tate's already defensive minded. Could you imagine Smith, Tate, Christopher & Eason on the court together? Any team would have a hard time scoring against this

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So basically Smith and the Rocket's 2nd unit?

Offense might struggle with no competent ball handler or creator on that group but they might do decent enough against the other team's 2nd unit defensively.

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  16. Rockets4Life13

If Tyty can set up the offense, that could be good.
    I don't know much about Tyty tho and it's probably unlikely that he comes in and is able to do that at an NBA level right away

17. omgTHEpotential

So well put. 100%

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'm not sure he's NBA ready, but perhaps next year he'd be ready for a bench role... the only glaring issue is his defense. He's really only capable of defending the 1 so he can't switch.

Nix would be better suited right now but I'm not sure he can really run an offense at the NBA level either.

I think the goal might be to stagger KPJ and Green's minutes so that you always have one of them on the court. I'm hoping Green develops into more of a combo guard this season..... of course that hurts the defense too because Green might be the worst defender on the entire team, but you can't have everything.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Even if you don’t need them to win a championship, it’s going to make getting through the regular season a bit easier and with a less banged-up frontcourt. Nightly matchups may sometimes benefit from the easy baskets a traditional center will get you, and you can mix-and-match lineups easier.

aaquaa and Buck Turgidson like this.