1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets strategy moving from 26 to 29?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Does this mean they were not completely sold on TyTy, and that they had two other players in mind in a worst case scenario, Nikola Jovic, Patrick Baldwin, Peyton Watson, and was the chance of being forced to select any of them worth two second round picks from Minnesota?

Btw, what was the trade that gave up our second round pick this year? Turned out to be quite high value.

jcmoon likes this.
  2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

It's freaking long.

Cavaliers
    Traded • Alec Burks • Nik Stauskas • Wade Baldwin IV • 2021 second round pick (#54-Sandro Mamukelashvili) in a 3-team trade with Kings, Rockets for • Brandon Knight • Marquese Chriss • 2019 first round pick (from Rockets) (#26-Dylan Windler) • 2022 second round pick (from Rockets) (#31-Andrew Nembhard) on 2019-02-07

Pacers
    Traded • Caris LeVert • 2022 second round pick (?-?) to Cavaliers for • Ricky Rubio • draft pick(s) (first round pick protected top 14 in 2022-23, else 2025 second round pick, 2026 second round pick) (?-?) • 2022 second round pick (#31-Andrew Nembhard) • 2027 second round pick (?-?) on 2022-02-07

3. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

they probably had intel on who was left and made that gamble

34to11, BigMaloe, Nook and 5 others like this.
  4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I think whoever Stone was targeted at 26th was gone. (Maybe it was Roddy). Somehow he can get 2 more second round picks to move down 3 spots. Why not?

AXG, CarlosGM and jcmoon like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rockets appear devoted not to give OKC a good pick in 2024 considering OKC is on the same rebuild timeframe. The Rockets probably want to work hard on developing last years rookies, Jabari, and Eason to ensure team is better by 2023-2024. I don't think it says much about TyTy except that the Rockets likely are prioritizing development time in the NBA elsewhere. I'm not even sure if Eason is going to get much run until after New Years.

xtruroyaltyx and randerson like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

They got 2 second round picks by moving 3 picks down and ended up with who they wanted anyway.

TyTy + 2 2nd rounders to dump wood is a win

Williamson, 34to11, BigMaloe and 8 others like this.
  7. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I like the pick up of Ty Ty washington and getting 2 second round picks would be helpful to know which year of the 2 second round picks

Deckard and don grahamleone like this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Stone not only:

1. Got the BPA at 29
    2. Got a player that plays a position we needed
    3. Got 2 extra 2nd rounders to move down 3 spots

But he also saved Tilman about $100k a year on rookie salaries (difference between what a 26th pick makes and what a 29th pick makes)

9. xaos

xaos Member

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The only valid answer as tellmen made the order to do so.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Here's hoping we pull the #1 pick out of our ass next year.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

ryan_98, FLASH21 and Yung-T like this.
  13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think they wanted Beauchamp at 26. once he was gone at 24 i think they had intel that the heat and warriors probably weren't going with tyty and that they could move down and still get their guy. picked up 2 future picks in the process.

with the team supposedly approaching KPJ's extension "with caution, if at all." I think it was smart to bring in a high upside PG this year.

alethios, BigMaloe, VoR and 5 others like this.
  14. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

From my point of view, TyTy was such a steal at #26, especially when point guard isn't the locked down position on the team, that they'd play with fire like that. The explanation that makes most sense to me is that the GMs may be good enough friends to share who they're drafting (like Kevin Costner portrayed in Draft Day) in less than consequential spots like the end of the first round. When the Minnesota GM called to jump over Miami and Golden State (and the Rockets), it's as if they had intel on who they were picking as well. I'm sure not all GMs are trying to shark everyone else, that some of them are more open about their true intentions just to maintain a baseline of trust for future transactions, and maintain the good ol' boy culture.

Deckard likes this.
  15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

GIGO

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I’m thinking this too. I saw a mock draft that had us taking Eason at 17 and TyTy at 26. Scary accurate. So maybe they knew they could get him at 29 knowing who was picking between them and how shored up they were on PGs.

17. rammo

rammo Member

TyTy is a nice add for the team. He should’ve gone higher IMO.

What I like about it most is it keeps KPJ looking over his shoulder. Washington can play.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

They either got scooped on a guy they were targeting at 26 or had a few guys equally graded and were fine moving back.

If TyTy was the man at 26 they would have stayed put to lock it in. He’s likely just one of a few people Stone liked at that spot.

BamBam and don grahamleone like this.
  19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

TyTy was a steal at 29, he's a potential starting pg. Plus they got 2 future picks in the deal, this is a masterful move by the front office.

34to11 and don grahamleone like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, all GMs are liars (to the media and the players they want to offload), but there's also a give-n-take with the draft where you're mostly honest to build trust.

You can lie one year, but it risks payback in the future so that rat**** better be worth it.

With the relationships GMs have with each other and agents who bridge all that's in between, most draft boards are probably set for any team willing to put some work and effort into it.

Even then you better trust your scouting to make all that worthwhile.