1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari and Sengun is a duo made in heaven

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 24, 2022.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

While I was enamored with Sengun before and after the draft last year, by his productivity, iq and potential, he is a player with flaws - namely, defensive footspeed. As I stated here, https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/getting-to-know-alperen-sengun-your-new.312466/, the key to unlocking Sengun is the other front court player you partner him with and whether they can cover for Sengun's deficiencies.

If you went into a lab and created this player, he would have elite defense, switchability, rim protection, and elite 3 point shooting to compliment Sengun's low post. You don't need much shot creation or playmaking since those are Sengun's strengths. The problem is it is extremely rare to find a mythical beast like this, they are unicorns. So it is a legit criticism that it is hard to construct a team with someone like Sengun playing a big role.

Enter Jabari. Not only does his strengths perfectly align with Sengun's weaknesses, his weaknesses are covered by Sengun's strengths. Sengun will create wide open 3s and shots at the rim for Jabari, while Jabari covers Sengun's ass on D. Also one aspect of Jabari's game that's underrated is his rim protection and shot blocking. He played next to the best shot blocking center in all of college and stated he had to adjust and not get in the way/take turns protecting the rim. Whereas in Highschool Jabari went after everything and averaged 3 blocks a game. I think this is an aspect of his game that he can really showcase next to someone like Sengun since he will be used as a weakside helper a lot more than in college.

Jabari's absolute upside may not be as high as the other top 3(although he is by far the youngest of the 3 so who knows) due to lack of self creation / ability to attack the rim. But his floor is so high, the median outcome is as high or higher than the other two. Factor in his synergy with someone like Sengun and it is really a homerun.

Jabari and Sengun are both flawed players with elite strengths but also glaring weaknesses, by themselves. But with their powers combined... In fact I'll say this, before the draft I would hesitate to call Sengun an untouchable or core piece despite how high I am on him, due to how hard it is to build a team with him. But with Jabari, this duo with Sengun IS absolutely a core for the team and can be listed alongside Green as untouchable now.

Slim, burlesk, T for 3 and 75 others like this.
  2. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Agree - it feels like a fantastic fit where their strengths can bring out the best in one another.

I had definitely talked myself into Paolo, but I wanted Smith all along.

burlesk, D-rock, slothy420 and 13 others like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The fit with Jalen, Alp and Jabari is really good. Spacing, shooting, passing, driving and defense.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yup. I can’t think of a better fit. When you consider a potential KPJ-Green-Sengun core, there is a ton of playmaking potential, but the weakness are glancing: defense and spacing. Smith goes a long way towards fixing those issues. As a bonus, he seems like a hard worker with a chip on his shoulder.

#4 Houston77, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Well said CX! Love this post and the extra HS defensive insight. Although we all expected Paolo or maybe Chet, we couldn't have really asked for a better outcome for building our team... our future.

#5 Shark44, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    burlesk, 18pbr, dcfma and 12 others like this.
  6. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Bro, I had a Marcus Morris thread flashback....just for a sec lol. Good write up.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

all i’m seeing is play-in second round

this team finna be fire af
    until time for new contracts

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's been proven many times you don't need a traditional rim protector in the modern NBA. A stretch that can defend all positions and help on the boards is exactly the compliment Sengun needs. Ultimately Sengun will have to prove he can do his part defensively, but this partner will absolutely give him his best shot to succeed playing his game.

If Sengun develops his 3 ball....I get tingles just thinking about the offensive potential of this grouping.

burlesk, ajc123, 18pbr and 7 others like this.
  9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

And then you throw Tari Eason into the mix. He compliments those guys very well. Kind of a sane Ron Artest.

burlesk, HP3, sydmill and 22 others like this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

At #3, Jabari was BPA and best fit. So that's why it works. Being a horrible team drafting for fit is stupid, but when that fit also happens to be BPA? That's nice.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It really did work out the way it was supposed to with Jabari. Agreed Sengun, Green and Jabari is the new rockets core.

burlesk, slothy420, roslolian and 7 others like this.
  12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Really Smith fits probably everybody in the NBA - the only thing about him is, that he needs at least one playmaker around him. Other than that a 6-10 guy that shoots over 40% from 3 and can defend 1-5 at a high level is a piece, that fits into every puzzle. But I agree, he helps Sengun and he should help Green (both as a spacer and pass target and as a screener) a lot!

burlesk, krosfyah, roslolian and 9 others like this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So true. Great post!

burlesk, 18pbr, Drift Monkey and 2 others like this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Just hope Eason doesn’t get the Sengun treatment. With Jabari and Tari on the floor our defense goes from worst in the league to a strength (with proper coaching).

15. marcus clay

marcus clay Member

I like Segun, but he's a 6'8 center with a 6'8 wingspan, which makes it harder for him to defend larger centers. I think the better move woulda been us trading up for Mark Williams, which would have locked down our frontcourt for years. Jabari and Mark in our frontcourt woulda been straight NASTY!

16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

He'll never be as good as Poole, let alone Thompson and forget about Curry at the 3-ball. The only way is to find cuts to the rim and shoot the midrange at a high clip.

17. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Eason's situation is a little different in that he's not playing behind the team's leading scorer and rebounder. I'm guessing that Tate will begin the season as the starter but Eason should get minutes. It will be interesting to see what they do with Tate and his contract. I know they love Tate and the hustle and energy that he brings but I don't see them committing much money to him long term when you've got so many young guys who will be coming up for contracts in a few years. I guess it depends on Tate's expectation for his next contract.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

My favorite part of him being the guy left is the fit. He’s the best switchable defender of the top 3. I was even apprehensive about my guy Chet’s fit with Alperen long term because both are better in drop. This is almost like we drafted Alperen Sengun and JaeSean Tate

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This, Jabari fits with anyone. That's the fit seems so good.

But, I would still like to see them both develop where they have any weaknesses. I don't want Jabari to be limited to some spot up shooter. I also don't want Sengun to just expect someone to always be there if he gets blown by. It would be great if they develop that kind of chemistry that makes them unpredictable and difficult to guard.

ajc123, dcfma, Drift Monkey and 3 others like this.