1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Jabari Smith JR and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jun 23, 2022.

1. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

This guy is basically Rashard Lewis, but with better defense. As a former Sonics fan I saw him play lots.

22 PPG on elite efficiency in his prime as a #2 option, in a lower scoring era. His main issue was defense and passion, or lack there of. Once he signed that huge contract with Orlando, he kinda mailed it in a bit and took a back seat and his career slowly faded out. But if he maintained his passion as he did in Seattle, he is probably a HoF player even with the suspect defense.

But defense is definitely not an issue with Jabari, and he is 6'10'' and can shoot the lights out. Him and Jalen will be a great scoring combo for years to come.

2. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Jabari didn't even work out for us, he didn't expected to even be at pick 3, the fact the magic smokescreen him, his family and agent 100% pissed him off he trying to play it cool but he didn't want to be in houston.

Reading between the lines he didn't give Stone or the Rockets really any information, he side step the work out question saying he send medicals but I don't think he even send that, Jabari didn't want to be a "Houston Rocket" but nothing he can do about it but show up and do his job we have him for eight years.

3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This year he needs to work on his handles to be a nice shot creator. Sengun is really going to help him get his shot but he needs to work on his dribbling. He is a solid 3rd STAR on a Championship team but if he can create his own shot he have a nice star and stud defensive player. This guy can be a KD he just needs to work on his handles and decision making but just need to work on his handles....

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don’t think he has any problem playing in Houston. He didn’t want to be the 3d pick. Everybody has been telling him he will be the first pick, he was atop the Vegas odds until the day of the draft - and then he slides, not to the second pick but to the third. And that pissed him off. He will have a chip in his shoulder especially in games against the Magic. And that’s a good thing!

5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

We got lamarcus aldridge that's a deadeye 3 point shooter and plays defense. Let that sink in..this dude win so many games

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Sengun - Claxton
    Smith - Martin/Eason
    Eric - Until traded - Tate
    Green - Gary Bird
    KPJ - Josh - Nix

My small ball line up
    Smith
    Eason
    Eric
    Green
    KPJ

7. xWiCkeDx

xWiCkeDx Member

You know what now that you mention Robert Horry. Is that basically Jabari's floor? Do we have our new Big Shot Bob 2.0?

8. sefril

sefril Member

Look at Jabari bracelet, that’s the Rockets colors.. must be a sign.. lol

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This has nothing to do with Houston. He operated like he was a top 2 lock because he knew we’d draft him if he fell to us anyways. Zero reason to workout for the Rockets or anyone else after the top 2.

I don’t know why people want to make a beef out of absolutely nothing. He thought he was the 1st pick in the draft until his name wasn’t called. His subsequent reaction is the same as all of ours. Shocked but ultimately happy.

pr0wler likes this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I love his attitude tbh, sounds like exactly the sort of person you can build around. I genuinely think the Magic told him he was their guy and he found out when Paulo's name got called out. I'd be super pissed too tbh.

11. Xopher

Xopher Member

I look at it differently. Everyone "knew" he was going to Orlando since the lottery. He had no reason to work out for Houston because if he wasn't going first, then he was definitely going 2nd or 3rd. Think about it for a minute. You would be pissed too if everyone told you that you were going 1st for months and then all of a sudden you were blindsided. He wasn't pissed he went to the Rockets. He was pissed he didn't go 1st. He only cared about going to Orlando because they had the 1st pick. No matter what team had the first pick he would have been pissed he didn't go there. Green was pissed last year because he wasn't 1st. It isn't because he wanted to go to Detroit itself. He wanted to go to whoever had the 1st pick. At least last year there was a ton of discussion about who was going 1st. This year everyone just knew Jabari was going to Orlando.

pr0wler likes this.
  12. BreakYoSelfFool

All 3 of the top 3 picks are reported to have excellent character, work ethic, and motivation along with high skills and bball IQ. All have been in Team USA getting vetted by NBA coaches and personnel. Of all the top 3 picks Jabari improved the most during the season and saw his stock rise to the level of the other 2 who were considered the top before the season. Jabari was initially thought to be more like top 10 than head of the class.

AlperenSengun likes this.