1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Grade Stone's 2nd draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'd give it a solid A tbh. Definitely boosted my estimations of him a little bit, I was still unsure of him with a few of his trades. Obviously there's no guarantees how any of the guys pan out, but I think he did a great job.

2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Still in shock. Was a hell of a draft. Don't know if it was luck, strategy or a bit of both, but I like it.

Would have gone Jovic at 26 and called it a night, but TyTy works for me.

Can't wait for summer league.

slothy420 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Morey is good, he acquired Melton from the Grizzlies. He recognizes superstar talent. Harden was his best trade obviously.

I do feel Morey tends to value fit and stats a bit too much at times. He took more swings when he was new with Aaron Brooks and Landry. Stone values upside more than Morey in my opinion, because he has been a ball player himself. Eli does a good job with the stats. They're a good duo.

TimDuncanDonaut and bmelo like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Grade A

Got the top prospect/fit with Jabari Smith

Excellent Wing/switch everything defensively Tari Eason

TyTy is that replacement for Porter down the line, leverage vs Porter leaving.
    Don't like his shot, shooting %....but I get it.

_________

Please don't draft a PG for years.....Tari and Jabari shouldn't block
    me from drafting either Cameron Whitmore (SF) or Dillion Mitchell (SF)
    next season as both Tari and Jabari can play the PF position.

#144 ApacheWarrior, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    theDude, jcmoon and saleem like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

TyTy will be in RGV

6. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

How could you possibly know this? Point guard and center are still in need of upgrades. The Rockets have no one to defend the 5.

KPJ is a sixth man until proven otherwise.
    TyTy is the 29th pick, don’t count on much.

jcmoon likes this.
  7. TheBeastSystem

TyTy's shooting mechanics are fine. He'll be a good shooter. My question about him is defensively. Looks like he's got heavy feet to me. Kinda like Andre Miller. Offensively he's fine and has terrific upside. Defensively??? Questions. Hope he develops well on that end.

I'm more convinced everyday that KPJr isn't the answer at the point. Just watching tape of TyTy moving the ball, making the passes as guys are opening up instead of pounding the ball and waiting until guys have been open for several seconds and the defense is flowing back to cut them off before KPJr gets rid of the ball....I don't think KPJr has the brain for the point.

sirjesse and jcmoon like this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Last 2 drafts

P.G. - TyTy Washington Jr
    S.G. - Jalen Green / Josh Christopher
    S.F. - Tari Eason
    P.F. - Jabari Smith Jr. / Usman Garuba
    ..C. - Alperen Sengun

Stone gets an A+++ rating on drafting in my book. That is top notch talent in 2 drafts.

red5rocket, Believe It! and xaos like this.
  9. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

After just two drafts, the Rockets have three potential all-stars (Green, Sengun and Smith) and have put together one of the best young roster in the entire league. Good job Stone. The large number of losses in these two seasons has accelerated the rebuilding process, something that some stupid people never understood. The future is brighter now.

BigMaloe, jcmoon, zeeshan2 and 2 others like this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

You really think he wanted Paolo, or just tried to seem like it since he knew there is no option for Jabari

11. saleem

A fine post. Do you know what are the conditions on the two second round picks from Minnesota? When are we getting them?

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. saleem

I think most GM's knew that Jabari could fall, but there was no guarantee of it happening either.

13. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

We desperately needed a true point guard. He can dish and has a deadly jumper/floater. He will be a fan favorite, watch

jcmoon and zeeshan2 like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I've yet to see the year or years those second round picks will land.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...inners-losers-biggest-trades-bold-predictions

BigMaloe, slothy420, sirjesse and 2 others like this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

A+

He chose the right player at each draft position - and by that I mean, he chose the players I would have chosen. I didn't actually want 3 1sts, but trading 26 for 29 and 2 future 2nds makes me happy.

By the way, does anyone know what those 2 future 2nds are? What is the protection?

palmsnbananas and jcmoon like this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When my wife came back from her walk, me with my ass still couch-glued in front of the draft, her eyes widened ("wow") when I mentioned who we got at #3. She doesn't even follow the draft but she'd heard the "Jabari Smith #1, Jabari Smith #1" for days from the things I was viewing.

A for a grade.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

And I'm not worried defensively.

I'm seeing teams dribble past mid court and immediately pass to another facilitator
    kinda like hand off to initiate the offensive set from there. Even Steph Curry and CP3
    are allowing Jordan Poole (others) and Booker (others) to attack more.

It's how well will TyTy play off the ball.....spacing when he doesn't have the ball?

Rockets think they can fix every shooter. Have improved with Kenyon and Josh
    Christopher but they are not exactly pure shooters at the moment. But they are
    still young. Room for improvement.

Porter will be told the same.....don't hold on to the ball so much. If not
    then he is gone. I can just foresee the dreaded, "Take Best Player Available"
    crap next year and that being Scoot Henderson at 6'2" because the fans have no
    patience to develop players anymore.

jcmoon likes this.
  19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

I bet tyty will be even better than porter. writing is on the wall. porter will accept a team friendly sixth man contract or be traded. We'll have plenty of cap space next summer to find a combo guard scorer or even an all-star. We have josh and tyty waiting to step in.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  20. TheBeastSystem

Better not sleep on Nix.

saleem and sirjesse like this.