1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone is definitely the guy to rebuild this franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He stuck it to the Nets in the Harden deal, and has killed both drafts. I know the upcoming free agency & trades with all that capspace loom, and some might still have some reservations considering a couple of minor missteps. There are also some questions about Silas, but I see that being overblown, as he was brought in for Harden & Co, only to get dealt a completely different hand. We've been in tanking mode, developing youngsters (esp. our guards), while showcasing vets. I think Silas is going to surprise when he has the talent, and the objective is winning. Sure, Stone should have pulled the trigger sooner on CW, but that seems to have worked out. As for EG, I thought he definitely should have been moved when he was shooting 44% from three before the deadline, or even tonight. That said, there needs to be some veterans to help show the youngins the way, and EG has been an excellent mentor on and off the court. Besides, a young team needs to have enough vets to help things function right out there.
    All in all, I think we're in great hands...and that includes patience by ownership in getting this right. While the Rockets still have unanswered questions, we are flying along in this rebuild. We couldn't ask for more so far.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Understatement of the night.

3. marinara

marinara Member

In a nutshell, since I’ve supported the rockets (2005)

They’ve never bottomed out since I’ve supported them. I think the fan base isn’t sure what a rebuild entails.

3/4 Picks last season were a sucess already.

3 1st round picks this season. Obviously unknowns but let’s say 2/3 show signs this upcoming season ( Smith & Eason )

Jalen, Smith, Sengun, Jaygup, Eason.

Add in KPJ, Tate, and 3 project players Nix TyTy & Gruaba.

Apart from Tate and KPJ who is 22/23? They are all Rookies & Sophmores.

That is MASSIVE potential core going forward.

Add in a FA in a season or two and sky’s the limit imo.

KingSamJack, xaos, slothy420 and 5 others like this.
  4. Plowman

Supporting Member

Yeah, we needed a true rebuild for years, under Les, but he would never do it. The Rockets have been "reloading" on the run for so long, and this is certainly a different animal. While, there's nothing like watching our guys contend, I've really enjoyed taking in every aspect of the rebuild, both in the games, watching guys develop, and the strategic building in the draft/otherwise. Stone is absolutely a Terminator. Again, I know questions remain about how he'll handle free agency, future trades, and about Silas, but I couldn't be happier at the moment.

Deckard, DallasThomas and jcmoon like this.
  5. Le$$

Le$$ Member

6. Plowman

Supporting Member

It remains to be seen regarding Silas. He was dealt a crappy hand, and it's only been a relatively short period of time. He's been charged with tanking, and developing our youngins, while showcasing vets that won't be here. His development of the guards has been a sight to behold, as far as I'm concerned. The frontcourt has been a mess. But, now with CW outta here and the fresh blood of our young studs, we shoud have plenty of clarity.

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

He blew the team up and started over and has been in talent acquisition mode. That's very different from building a championship roster. He's done great getting talent but the step he's going to have to take is eventually getting all the right pieces that fit together to make a contender. We've yet to see how he'll do there.

Lots of teams have tanked and acquired talent. When you sell off your entire roster and you also have high picks due to your poor record, you're going to be able to get talented guys from the draft. The difficulty comes when you start to improve and you have to go from simply acquiring the best players available to getting the right pieces to fit together to win a title.

Detroit, OKC and Houston are all near the same place in their rebuilds. They've all acquired young talent. Now the question is which team will be able to convert that young talent into a contending team. All 3 have loaded up on inexpensive talent via the draft and they've been completely focused on talent acquisition without worrying about wins/losses. Now those teams will have to develop those players, decide on making trades to strengthen their title chances and most importantly decide how to best spend their available salary.. All of those things are much more difficult than selling off all assets and drafting as much talent as possible. When you start having to worry about salary and wins and losses, it gets much more difficult.

It should be interesting to see the path of all three teams going forward. Which of the teams are successful and how their approaches differ.

Deckard, duluth111222, xaos and 6 others like this.
  8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

As long as he doesn't bring another Daniel Theis player again...

9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

What's wrong with Theis? Guy is totally professional.

10. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

When his hiring was announced, I remember everyone whining about Tilman hiring an attorney, saying how incompetent this organization, blah blah blah.

Ideally we would be able to wait to see how things unfold before we react to them.

BamBam likes this.
  11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Your first time here? :)

Deckard, Dobbizzle, slothy420 and 3 others like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We on our way back. Just another season or two.
    [​IMG]

Dobbizzle, Plowman and jcmoon like this.
  13. Plowman

Supporting Member

Very good post.

Absolutely. I think the comparison of Stone and Morey illustrates this perfectly.

It's far easier to have a blank canvas, starting with bold/broad strokes vs. being charged with creating a contender without rebuilding. We'll see how he does when it comes to assembling the pieces.

#13 Plowman, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Know what happens when you develop talent and that talent is 4 sophomores that are 20 and 3 rookies, 7 players in the rotation. With also 3 other young guys Martin/Tate/KPJ?? You get great experience hopefully spewing up the learning curve.

Inevitably you will suffer some losses though a lot of them. Resulting in another high pick.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they engineer a particular player whether Sengun/Christopher/KPJ being the likely candidate to pump their stats to package in a trade for a veteran with maybe picks added on. Either at the trade deadline or offseason.

15. conquistador#11

Silas will end up being Mark Jackson in the sense that he will only see us getting to the promise land from afar. His patience is extraordinary his rotations are bizarre, holding players accountable non existent. But in the end, he is the right guy for the now.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Looks like the beginning of a pimp movie.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Raphael Stone makes Daryl Morey look like baby Elvis with a beard.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

FWIW - EGo will still be a Rocket while I’m looking at the grass’ roots.

But, that’s ok. Uh, the EGo being a Rocket part…

Plowman likes this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Jalen Greens suit game needs defense.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  20. liveguy

liveguy Member

Stone is the man when it comes to the draft.

His player valuation for trades is suspect.

He hasn’t really shown his Free Agency player acquisition style yet.

That said…so far, dude is SOLID…

The trades and free agency part is the negotiation side of his job, which is key, and what Morey was great at.

Stone has the player scouting and drafting side of the job on LOCK tho.

Plowman likes this.