1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-29] TyTy Washington Jr., PG, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of TyTy Washington?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

94.8%
  2. NO

5.2%
  1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Looks like he's tight with Jabari Smith

D-rock, mikol13, ozrocketsfan and 7 others like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is the one pick that I'm kind of "meh" on.....but he's a late first rounder, you shouldn't really expect much from them. Hopefully one day he can develop into a bench quality guard.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nba/draft-tracker?config=latest

B

TyTy Washington | G | Kentucky

I’m admittedly a Washington skeptic, but he’s a player the Rockets always liked, and they’re getting him much later than people expected. Where his playing time comes from in a crowded Houston backcourt is a fair question, but better times are probably ahead for him after a freshman year where he battled injuries and struggled to stay in shape. He’s a nice option at this point in the draft, particularly as someone who was pegged by some as a lottery talent at various points in the season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...first-round-wraps-up-with-surprises-all-over/

29. Houston Rockets (from Grizzlies via Timberwolves): PG TyTy Washington Jr., Kentucky

The best prospect available finally comes off. Washington proved he can play point guard and off the ball, which makes him incredibly versatile. This is three SEC players at different positions for the Rockets, and they complement each other nicely. Grade: A+

What TyTy Washington Jr. brings to the Houston Rockets: ‘You’re getting a really good guard’
    https://theathletic.com/3376368/202...on-rockets-youre-getting-a-really-good-guard/

D-rock and Big Time Titan like this.
  6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No idea who he is but I'm sure he can run a team and offense better than porter.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Stop doing drugs and seek help.

maj21 likes this.
  9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Porter isn't a PG. Dude is way to selfish.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You could call him a center and your statement wouldn't be any less ridiculous.

blue_eyed_devil and linvetb6 like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That Athletic article makes it clear that Washington was having an amazing season until he rolled his ankle for the 1st time. We're getting one hell of a point guard. We've lucked out, in my opinion.

An excerpt:

When healthy, Washington gave us glimpses of his best self. He stepped in for injured point guard Sahvir Wheeler against Georgia and casually dropped 17 points and 17 assists, breaking John Wall’s single-game UK record without really breaking a sweat. A week later, he torched Tennessee at Rupp Arena with 28 points on 10-of-13 shooting against the top-rated defensive team in the country. A week after that, the first ankle roll.

“If people stopped buying his stock after the injury stuff, they’re going to be really pleasantly surprised,” Antigua said. “You’re getting a really good guard who can play on the ball or off, has a great IQ, great feel for the game and has the ability to go get his shot off. One of the things people are going to see is how good he can shoot the 3. He can space the court, he can deliver the ball, he can run your team and he’ll defend, but people in his workouts have been blown away by how well he shot it. That was the comment we got back from everyone who brought him in.”

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

KPJ is a shooting guard, his game is more of a shooter than a point guard.

linvetb6 likes this.
  13. maj21

maj21 Member

Seriously!! Dude is delusional

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm gonna blow your mind.

Combo guards exist.

Boom.

Players can be SG's and still have PG skills....and they can be even better at running the point than late first round PG's.

For example, James Harden has more PG skills than Malachi Flynn or Aaron Holiday.

Take time to recover from that stunning development.

15. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Great value at 29. He was a lot more effective before his injury, and his stock dropped after returning.

He's smooth, poised, and more of a natural PG than his 3.9apg might indicate (was forced to play off ball next to a 5'7" Sahvir Wheeler). He doesn't turn it over (1.6 topg), and has an advanced intermediate game (runners/floaters/mid-range J). 3-ball is good and form is strong, but he preferred to step inside the line at UK over settling for 3s.

On the downside, he's not a freak athlete (he's solid), and he doesn't always force the issue, which may not be a bad thing on a team with a bunch of young guys who'll be looking for their shots. He's got solid size for a PG (6'3" 196, 6'8" wingspan), but will still be smaller than our other Gs.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  16. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Love the value of TyTy at 29. He’s a better shooter and PNR player than he’s let on. He played injured for most of the season too, so we haven’t seen him at his best.

the only thing I have issues with is a philosophical outlook. IMO Jalen is so quick laterally and skinny (on PnR and in weight) that he looks to best be paired as a POA lead guard defender. We’ve seen him wall off a decent amount of lead guards. Then we have Jaygup who can also handle quick guards and guard up a spot on defense. I wish we opted for a bigger guard or wing who can guard more positions than just a 1. Was honestly hoping for stashing Procida or ideally Max Christie.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

To posters that know his game: is Jrue Holiday a viable comparison?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ty Ty (that name will take some getting used to) isn't small. He's 6'4" and reportedly a good defender, among his other attributes. Yes, we have a lot of guards now, and several can defend more that one position. We just added another, one who's a pure point for a change, who'll compete with the rest for minutes. Should be fun to watch, in my opinion.

D-rock and Milos like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Hi hi, Ty Ty.

[​IMG]

#139 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Pretty sure we only picked this scrub because he's Jabari's friend.