1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Grade Stone's 2nd draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jun 23, 2022.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

A+

So proud that he didn’t play into Orlando’s games and do something stupid to secure who they thought they wanted at 1. Jabari was my #1 all along and I always thought Tari is EXACTLY the type of wing we need to be bringing on as many of as we can. Wings that can potentially have that type of Kawhi like defensive versatility are worth taking as many shots at as you can. I love the pick at 17.

The Wood trade package now looks really solid.

I still am holding out hope that we can work out a Wall/Westbrook swap with a future asset of some sort and I think at this point you really have to move EG. I’d rather keep Boban as the locker room vet guy and give minutes to the youngsters.

BigMaloe, DreamR, B-Bob and 4 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Don't remember the last draft for any Houston team where everyone was this unanimously positive. Anyone?

We'll see how it ages!

BigMaloe, sirjesse, quikkag and 5 others like this.
  3. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Wait you don't think Sengun can be a starter? Seriously? You know he is only like 20 right?

quikkag and raining threes like this.
  4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

What's interesting is weeks ago there were rumblings of the Rockets looking to trade up, just to secure the 1st pick and draft the player that is slated to be available at the 3rd pick.

In addition, Orlando never managed to get a workout with Paolo.

I don't really know if this is some ultimate smoke screen that the Rockets camp threw out to overhype the hell out of Paolo Banchero, causing Orlando to have a change of heart last minute. Or if Orlando truly was keeping their cards close to their chest, close enough that they are willing to forgo basic due diligence and skip the work out with the guy they drafted at 1st pick.

Even if Paolo is the best player available, is he so much better than the other 2 that you can skip a key player evaluation process?

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We should definitely do this in 2 years, but on draft night I’d say it was an A. I wouldn’t say that lightly. The guys they got are all real values where they were picked. We even moved back and picked up a couple 2nd rounders. There really wasn’t anyone worth aggressively trading up for so I have to hand it to Stone for working the draft well.

still trying to figure out all the trades and who ended up where.

B-Bob, raining threes and Milos like this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I havent seen approval ratings this high on CF since we traded for Ty Lawson!

;) lol

8. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Last year.

Sengun at 14 was hailed as the steal of the draft.

I was in Camp Mobley prior to the draft, but understood why you'd chose Green, and most of CF was firmly in Green Gang.

People were deluding themselves into thinking Usman would be a defensive stopper soon

Only real doubts came with JC.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I get what you're saying but there was a lot of (stupid) negativity around Jalen Green from a lot of prominent posters. Maybe that could happen with Smith over the coming weeks too.

10. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

You must of missed the Shanon Anderson hype train.

The Scottie Pippen deal. Or the MO Taylor deal

blue_eyed_devil, kjayp and quikkag like this.
  11. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

I'm still shaking my head over trading 3 picks for Eddie Griffin.

kjayp likes this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

quikkag likes this.
  13. MultipleSauces

Stone > morey

jcmoon, larry cook and PeterKingX like this.
  14. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Yeah there were def doubts about JC .. people thinking we just drafted him cause he’s friends with Jalen green but he actually was actually a steal too at his draft position ! That’s why I’m thinking Eason and Ty Ty will be good

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Paolo is the one who kept pushing Orl back cuz he thought no way in hell Orl gonna pick him. Same thought process Jabari had.

Rox also didn't get a work out with Jabari but thankfully that didn't stop them.

KingSamJack and raining threes like this.
  16. raining threes

Added badly needed size and athleticism to the forward position. Finally when KPJ/Green kicks it out to the corner there will be guys that make defenses pay. No more playing off of Tate so the offense has to play 4 on 5. The defense is where this team improved. All 3 guys are plus defenders.

Washington is a high energy playmaker. He plays the passing lanes well and has no fear of taking it to the hoop or taking big shots. Just gotta stay healthy. His game reminds me of Cassell's game.

jcmoon, Shark44 and quikkag like this.
  17. PeppermintCandy

I was thinking the same thing. Smith, Eason and Washington were on a lot of people's wish list here. I was expecting maybe one or two, but not all three.

jcmoon and napalm06 like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We are really really young....I mean like epically young....more than 50% of our roster can't even buy a drink.

Loaded with talent, but being a professional is still something the kids need to learn how to do.....

I liked this draft, wanted Chet or Paulo, but am ok with Smith, wanted Eason at 17, didn't really want Ty Ty - but a little competition at PG is good and we need someone in case KPJ flames out.....

So, not sure we took BPA, but we did take players that all fit, and these guys are WAY better on D, than what we currently have......so we should be ok, as guys learn to play, I do worry about playing time though......

We should all put $500 on the Vipers winning it all again.

DD

jcmoon and quikkag like this.
  19. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

The way Jabari was acting during the whole progress tells you he had a draft promise from the magic, Magic 100% changed their mind based off the media and how they said Paolo is the true #1 pick and would had been #1 in any draft but this one, they 100% had a change of heart last min because not even Paolo know he would be a magic until 30 seconds before the pick.

raining threes, roslolian and kjayp like this.
  20. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Could Jabari be our curry? Curry didn't want to work out for the warriors either but they drafted him anyway and now he is the greatest 3 point shooter of all time and now in the talks for Top 10 of all time? if that is Jabari's future SIGN ME UP.

raining threes and roslolian like this.