1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-29] TyTy Washington Jr., PG, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of TyTy Washington?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

94.8%
  2. NO

5.2%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

To be fair, you've been stoned since the 60s. Or at least that's the way I imagine it from behind my keyboard.
    [​IMG]

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hopefully it will look more like this before the season starts

Sengun/FA
    Jabari/Garuba
    Tari/Tate/Matthews
    Green/JC/TyTy
    KPJ/TyTy

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This rotation looks so good for a young team. We will get a real big to back up Sengun and we will improve.

4. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Kick KPJ to the curb!
    Bye bye!

We have a real PG in the building, now Jabari and Jalen won't be standing around looking dumb.
    This was a great draft

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He has everything KPJ lacks. No overdribbling, great off the ball, court feel, fast break passes, mid-range game and a stable mind. KPJ has him in shooting and defense

6. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Tyty Is not our future guard if we get scoot next year

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

@Dr of Dunk , can you unlock the guillotine thread? I said some rather unkind things about our third pick and I want to pretend that I was all about Jabari the whole time. That was the point of the thread, right?

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I really like this pick and could care less if it impacts Dashien Nix - if Nix is the better player he can prove it.

Great value too

My understanding is that TyTy’s athleticism was questionable and that’s the main reason he dropped. But great command of the game. Love the upside potential and worst case he doesn’t turn out.

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

20% that would be a record! Try 12%

10. pass_to_Hakeem

Bye Bye KpJ

fckbandwagons likes this.
  11. j@amc

j@amc Member

My mistake! Daishen's was about that same level 11.8%

D-rock likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. TyTy Washington Jr. | G | Kentucky | DOB: Nov. 15, 2001 (Age: 20) | 6-3 | 200 LBS | Hometown: Phoenix

STRENGTHS
    Was a consensus five-star recruit. Originally committed to Creighton but decommitted following coach Greg McDermott’s “plantation” comment that surfaced in the spring of 2021. Chose Kentucky and was very good as a lead guard. Made second-team All-SEC, the All-Freshman team in the SEC and helped lead Kentucky to a conference title.

Good size and length for a combo guard who shades more toward the lead guard position at 6-foot-3 with a 6-foot-8 wingspan. Not a great athlete (we’ll get to that later) but plays with great pace. Washington’s critical skill is the ability to process the game faster than others. Seems to make the right play far more often than not.

Washington’s best skill is as a passer, something he only got to do sparingly this season because Sahvir Wheeler needed to play on the ball. Instead, he played more of an off-ball combo role because the team needed him to score. But Washington’s unselfishness is great when he’s actualized as a playmaker. Throws terrific live-dribble passes. When he got chances in ball screens, he was great at making reads. Kentucky’s offensive spacing is a mess, but Washington still showed the ability tosee cross-corner kickout reads, skip reads, pocket passes, wraparound pop reads, lobs and more. Really smart at finding the short roller when that player has an advantage on defenders. Great lob thrower and constantly makes the right baseline read when he draws the weakside help defender toward him. He’s constantly hunting for quick reads in early offense. Hit Oscar Tshiebwe in transition regularly. Kentucky didn’t get the best out of him in this regard.

Having said that, it’s easy to pigeonhole Washington into the scoring role. I love his natural touch. Legit scorer from the midrange and 3-point levels. Has one of the two best floater games in the draft class along with Iverson Molinar. Shot 57.4 percent on his 47 floater attempts this season and finished in the top 25 nationally in points scored off his floater. It’s an elite weapon for him because of how he can get it off from any angle or footwork. Even beyond that, has a terrific midrange pull-up game from within 16 feet. Took over 50 pull-up jumpers from between eight to 16 feet, per Synergy, and made them at a 59 percent clip. His form is pure, with terrific rhythm, solid elevation, smooth ball pick-up and a quick release. Really like that he can plant from multiple angles and footworks at high speed and stay balanced on the shot. Can make it going to his right or to his left. Makes them attacking closeouts, off ball screens or in isolation. Can play regularly at full speed without looking sped up. Smart ballhandler. That dribble-pass-shoot dynamic when he has the ball makes him a difficult guard.

I also like Washington from beyond the 3-point line. Think the percentages are a bit lowered because of the midseason ankle injuries. Better from midrange, but I trust him from 3. Hit 33 percent of his pull-up 3s, per Synergy. Has some real stepback skill, and again can do it going both to his right and left. Do think he’s better off the catch right now. Has a bit of a ball dip to generate power but is regularly prepped in spot-ups and ready to fire off the hop. Does occasionally go more one-two left-right step into shots while he’s drifting left. Low release point but lightning quick. Makes them from movement because of how he’s capable of realigning himself. Think he’ll be able to generate 3-point attempts, and teams will have to stay honest on him because of his dribble-pass-shoot potential while also being a high-level processor.

WEAKNESSES
    A lot of it comes down to athleticism. Washington isn’t an explosive athlete. He struggles to separate from his man. While he plays at a good pace, he struggles to change speeds and go from slow to fast to slow. Doesn’t have a great first step. Also doesn’t have a ton of crossover game going forward to pressure the defense. There isn’t a ton of shiftiness there. His drives often got swallowed up in college even in one-on-one settings. Sometimes even struggled to maintain his advantage against more athletic defenders when attacking closeouts. Can he collapse a defense? It’s a fair question against tough perimeter defenders.

Also doesn’t have a ton of vertical pop. While Washington’s floater game ends up supplementing his game at the basket, he does not get as many easy shots at the rim. Per Synergy, Washington only took 32 shots at the basket in half-court settings over 31 games, a remarkably low number for a guy who might play a good amount of lead guard. Only had two dunks all year. Again, feels like a separation problem. But can he generate easier shots? Is it possible his finishing takes a hit even more against longer NBA athletes? This even stands for his ability to generate pull-ups. Takes a lot of tough jumpers because his man is almost always there to close out.

Also thought there were some defensive issues with quicker guards. Struggled to stay in front. Sometimes gave up straight-line drives. I have real worries that some of the more explosive guards in the NBA could catch him. On top of it, generally struggles with recovery. If he gets clipped by a screen, he might end up dying on the vine because he doesn’t have the quickness to get back into the play. The good news is that Washington is tough, and he’s willing to fight. He’s also generally a smart rotational defender who can get deflections. But his on-ball defense probably fits a bit better toward guarding combo guards and smaller twos than ball-screen dominant lead guards with quickness.

SUMMARY
    Washington is a tough philosophical bet. Some evaluators will believe in him, and others won’t. He’s going to be a polarizing prospect. Personally, I’m on the higher side because I tend to very strongly believe in guards who can dribble, pass, shoot and make decisions at a high level. I think that is more important than athleticism in the modern NBA, where hand-checking isn’t allowed. Undeniably, there are defenders who will swallow him up. But I think Washington stands out as a terrific secondary guard to have on a team. He shouldn’t be your primary creator, but if you have a player who can break down defenses and get him the ball while the team is in rotation, that will be his best situation. Play him at point guard next to a terrific bigger creator, and he might be successful. If he can add anything in terms of athleticism and separation, he has a chance to be a valuable starter. He was not utilized in his ideal role. Plus, Kentucky now has a history of perimeter players such as Tyrese Maxey, Tyler Herro and Keldon Johnson coming in and outperforming their previous play at the school. I’ll buy Washington as likely more valuable than where he’s drafted.

D-rock, Little Bit, Milos and 9 others like this.
  13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

First time watching his videos. He gives me some Maxey vibes. I don’t know. Maybe it’s his hair style. LOL

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Need more interior defense

D-rock and robbie380 like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He looks a bit Native American?!

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. 34to11

34to11 Member

Two years in a row Stone comes away with the steal of the draft.

18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Rockets decide to lock up the backup PG of the future. Wasn't a big fan of his (nor any un-athletic guard), but didn't expect him to fall to 29.

Reasonable gamble, can't complain, and most importantly, BPA.

linvetb6 and Plowman like this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

But I thought we viewed Nix as a lotto pick ;)

D-rock likes this.
  20. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

You'd be surprised how much Red blood runs through the veins of Black men.

Crashlanded19 likes this.