1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610: Deal Done - Announced at 4pm CST

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

There are a couple of factors you are forgetting.

1. The reason the Magic went 21-61 was because McGrady missed a lot of games and he got sick and tired of carrying the entire team. It was probably an aberration. With a healthy and happy McGrady, the Magic would be close to a .500 team, similiar to 2002-2003.

2. Having 1 really good player can mean an extra 10 games. I expect that with Yao's improvement, the Rockets can win 50-55 games next year.

3. Very few superstars peak at 24 (McGrady's age last year).
    Both Yao and McGrady will probably improve.

4. We do have the money to add the depth. Having a Yao, Jim Jackson, and Mo Taylor are big differences. Even if we assume Taylor is overpaid and not a good starter, he could be an excellent PF off the bench. Adding a quality PG or backup C will make it even better.

2. Milos

Milos Member

mfclark is the geek who couldn't get a date to the prom, but insists he didn't go because he had better things to do...

mfclark is the guy who puts neon lights underneath his 1993 Accord and insists on revving his engine at every red light...

in short, mfclark is the illegitimate offspring of John Weisbrod and a hairless chimp...

Please don't antagonize him, just be amazed that he is capable of this much

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Oh no, bitter trade face!!!!!

4. anon3803

anon3803 Member

Whoah there mfclark, we might not be in the championships next year (unless CD and JVG pull off a miracle), but the Rockets are in a pretty good position to be champions in 2-3 years, and contenders for a long time to come if we keep T-Mac and Yao.

As much as I hated seeing Steve go, with our new superstar tandem, the Rockets will attract free agents like crazy. A good PG or PF will soldify the Rockets, and if we get both, then the league should get ready. They just might be seeing us in the finals this coming season.

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Of course they did, THEY HAD TO! Who would want 2 guys that couldn't get a team into the playoffs, but still wanted to play 'their way'? Nobody would want them. They'd be headcases that would be labeled 'cancers'.
    Hell, if you had 2 undersized guards doing whatever they wanted without any success they'd have trouble finding a spot on even the worse team in the NBA..oh wait, that's where they are now. ;)

6. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Glad I can still log in and get the good news!

I feel sad losing Steve and Cat but it's tempered with getting a B-ball player that has B-Ball IQ.

As for the magic fan that thinks the Rockets just got the Magic roster from last year that won 21 games. Who are you kidding?

You know if the Spurs didn't have Duncan (one guy) they wouldn't be very good. Or if KG was out for the year, the Timberwolfs wouldn't have given the Lakers fits.

And no, not saying that Yao is the same as Duncan or KG but was there anyone on last year's Magic roster other than T-Mac that even came close to Yao??? Adding him to T-Mac makes for a very difficult team to defense. Steve didn't get double teamed because he was not worth it. Yao get's triple teamed at times. T-Mac will demand double teams. That doesn't leave too much defense for the other 3 guys. I think Howard and J Jackson will have very good season as they will be the benefactor of the defensive shift. The PG, who ever he is, will have to be able to pass, defend and make open shots.

7. bigdeeva

bigdeeva New Member

thanks rocks! and i won't miss it. i'm sure we will enjoy orlando.

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Originally posted by mfclark

Mark it down, though - there WILL be tension at some point between Yao and Tracy, regarding the offense, with JVG as the middle man.

This won't be anything compared to the lack of ball distribution on the Magic this next year. Mark THAT down.

The Rockets still lack a point guard and desperately need to sign Brent Barry or someone of that caliber or else you are in for a big disappointment. Juwan Howard is a poor fit in your system as well, and Mo Taylor may well be more productive.

Thanks for the tip captain obvious...nothing a MLE, TE, and veteran exception couldn't fix.

Really, you are getting the Magic's top three players from last year to go alongside Jim Jackson - comparable to DeShawn Stevenson/Keith Bogans in his old age - and Yao. Depth is still lacking, especially at center, point guard, and the swing positions...not that much better off than the Magic were last year.

You actually believe this? PUUUULEASE.

Good luck out West. TMac is not a leader, so it's time for Yao to step up and become one. I'm sure he will, but don't expect to go in as favorites for the title. I'm just waiting for someone to post the Chad Ford article and everyone to jump all over it praising him for having the foresight to put the Rockets in as WC champs....all while bashing everything else he's done.

Once again, enjoy TMac. He'll fill the arena and the scoring column alright. He won't fill the leadership quota and maybe not the wins quota, either.

God you ARE bitter. Why don't you keep us up to date with Steve and Cuttino...btw, how many games do you think you'll win next year?

9. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

HERE COMES A RISE IS SEASON TICKET SALES, HELL IM THINKING ABOUT GETTIN SOME MY SELF!!

ALL THIS ROCKETS LOVE IN HERE MAKES ME FEEL JUST DANDY

BRING ON THE RINGS...

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah, when I see Jim Jackson, I think DeShawn Stevenson.

That may be the most r****ded thing you have posted yet, and you really have been making quite a name for yourself lately.

By the way, does the Bitter ale help you wash away the taste of the crow that you are eating right about now?

[​IMG]
    :p

11. Nova

Nova Member

I think this is a good deal for both teams. Something new and different that'll put fans in the seats and give a lot of hope to those who want to see their team have a shot at the finals somewhere down the line.

12. maltre

maltre New Member

Congratulations Rocketfans !
    Great trade for Houston.

Let's hope this is the start of an interesting offseason, hope my Knicks can get an upgrade ;)

Have a great 2004-2005 season,

-- maltre

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

quit copying...

15. omair

omair Contributing Member

This is just a foundation.. all that is needed nwo are pieces to add so this is a great move by managment even if it may set back the rockets...but i mean now who wouldnt want to play for us?

This is a championship foundation.. enough said

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

ROFL! :D

17. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

First you accused rocket fans of wearing blinders swearing up and down the magic wouldn't make the trade

Then you act like the Rockets were the ones running to the media each day talking out of both sides of their mouth when it was Weisbrod

Now your comparing the rockets to the magic. Your posts get more and more desparate with each attempt. Keep reaching :rolleyes:

18. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

WTF?!

Please quote any of these 'accounts' that you read. It's pretty easy to find ones about your boneheaded GM.

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

mf- We will enjoy McGrady.

A.) You're so sure there will be tension? Yao is as laid back as they come, believe me, the tension won't be between Yao and TMac. Tmac and JVG on the other hand is a different question. JVG won't be the middle man, I can guarantee you that.

How is Howard a poor fit for our 'system'? Offensively, he does similar things to Mo except he rebounds better and doesn't get into foul trouble as quickly.

Comparing Jackson to Stevenson/Bogans is pretty laughable. Jackson blew them away production wise, and also exhibited those "leadership" qualities that you claim TMac lacks.

Basically we need a starting PG and a backup center, and we have a sizable trade exception and the MLE to work with. We have 11 players under contract as it is, and 2 decent talents likely to play overseas next year (Spanoulis and Badiane), plus the ROFR on Wilks.

Lue/Gaines
    TMac/Piatkowski
    Jackson/Nachbar/A. Griffin
    Howard/Taylor/Weatherspoon
    Yao

If we acquire a Snow/Hudson/Fisher/Arroyo/Barry as a starting PG, and Skinner as a backup center as our 'depth' problems aren't anywhere near the Magic's were.

20. wgray

wgray Member

well i guess it's time for some new wallpapper. as for the trade i didn't want to give up steve and the cat.