1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building around Jabari Smith JR and liking it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

As I pointed out in my Paolo thread it made no sense for Orlando to not go with Paolo. I guess that won out and it seems like they ran a super committed disinformation campaign this whole time. I have been one of the biggest Paolo homers on the board and I am literally shocked. I am not super dismayed though.

1. Smith makes it easier to commit to Sengun as center. I imagine Sengun and Paolo would have figured it out but there is some duplicity between their skill sets.
    2. Smith improves our defense and slots in at SF.
    3. If Smith figures out how to generate offense for himself and others a bit more effectively, he will be a stud.
    4. Spacing overall is really helped.

Just shocked. I guess we will know in a few years. But I am happy regardless.

Yung-T, vator, 18pbr and 24 others like this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I wanted Paolo, but said all along I'd be thrilled with any of the big three.

I think Jabari fills out the team better for sure, and if he brings his shooting a long it's going to be some good times as a rockets fan.

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We hit a home run here. Perfect fit, great player, great character. Shooting is outstanding and he will space the floor, as you said. Has the potential to be a lock-down defender. Two-way stud. A cornerstone piece for us.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

pay attention to what u saw in these finals and how the league is trending

a 6’10 sweet shooting big that can defend and switch is very valuable

we have the PF position locked up for years to come

this could be 1 of the best shooting bigs in the league while being a major plus on D

a valuable 2-way big

alethios, Yung-T, Sonicbun8 and 26 others like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Would love to grab Dyson Daniels

Tfor3 likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How this happened I have no idea. We got the best two-way big in the draft at a position that fits perfectly with the Rockets. We have a player with Jalen Green will define the franchise for years to come. Smith may not be the creator or overall scorer that Banchero is, but he offers so much other value that irreplaceable in todays NBA.

Plus this automatically makes Sengun that much more valuable to us. We know have a great young starting 4 and a very solid 3 with Tate/KMJ

8. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think his 3 & D capabilities is the perfect fit for the team

9. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Op you need to make the Victor Wembanyama thread next year

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Imagine if Christian Wood gave more consistent effort on defense to go along with his offense. That's Jabari's floor folks.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yessir. A stud

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  12. Soneca

Soneca Member

It’s…

happened :D

13. Hui

Hui Member

14. xaos

xaos Member

And LOVING it!!!

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This was a much better fit for us. A little sad about not getting Banchero but having two uber athletic and skilled gym rats on the same team is going to be EPIC!!!!

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Lol, Jabari it is!

Perfect fit for us and crazy elite shooter and plus defender. Will need to work on a few things, but what 19 year doesn't?

Excited to see who else we add. Glad we took her fell versus trading up.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

So the Wood trade is good?

i3artow i3aller, seclusion and jcmoon like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

His build is definitely easier to build around, probably the easiest in the draft actually. Sengun and Smith front court can work, Tate at 3 can work, Christopher’s shaky shot becomes slightly less worrisome, elite shooter who can play D opens a team up

We definitely need more ball handling and passing, wouldn’t be surprised if we bring back Schroder, or take TyTy 17

I think his ceiling is lower then Chet/Paolo, his inability to finish around the rim in college might be a problem, but we got him at 3 behind those 1. So can’t complain, the question now is Ivey/Murray/Sharpe vs Smith for us

19. csc177

csc177 Member

He was PISSED not to go first. Rightfully so. I hope he uses that fire. I think he will. I hope he will.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was shocked but I damn sure ain't mad. I do think he's a much better fit on our current roster and he's the youngest of the top 3 by a fairly large margin. His ceiling is as high as any of them, so being a better fit is a huge bonus. Can't wait to see what we do next.