1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Stone, why now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jun 22, 2022.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Why not wait?

I think Rafael Stone played his hand too early. If he wanted to trade C.Wood, why not wait until after they make their pick on draft night??

Now EVERYONE know we NEED a forward and more than likely we are going after Banchero. I think that's the reasoning behind Banchero's name being dropped as a possible #1 or #2 pick.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Wood has no impact on who we draft, he’s not relevant or good enough to affect the 3rd pick

jdjd, burlesk, topfive and 35 others like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Stone is just sitting back watching Weltman and Presti overthink it. Timing of the Wood trade is interesting, but this draft is still full of good forwards and the perception that its "all or nothing" on Banchero is actually allowing Stone to use some strategy. I think Stone surprises some of you on draft night.

hakeem94 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Sigh

The top 3 guys are all big men, the Rockets have tried to trade him since last year but were not offered a FRP(their asking price) until just now. It's just all coincidental

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Not sure your point makes much sense given the consensus top 3 picks are all forward prospects.

burlesk, 34to11, topfive and 18 others like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because the Rockets are fine with any of the top 3 big men. If Banchero goes #1, they take Jabari.

There's nothing any team can do to prevent the Rockets from getting one of those 3.

Also, it's not really a secret what Orlando and OKC are going to do..... we just have people pretending like there's a chance they change their mind when they're really isn't.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

STONE Y U NO TRADE WOOD LAST OFFSEESON OR DEDLINE WEN HIZ VALUE WUZ HIYER!

STONE Y U NO WAIT TO TRADE WOOD?! NOW U SHOW UR HAND!

:D

99%, Paolo will be a Rocket in 33 hours. (99% is not 100) ;)

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

WE
    ARE
    NOT
    DRAFTING
    CHANDLER
    PARSONS

TheJuice likes this.
  9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Top 3 are all PF. It doesn't matter who's left. We are getting a PF.

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Dallas couldn't wait until after Houston make their pick? How do we know which big man Houston wants to pair with Sengun?

I think Stone played his hand too early

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

What if OKC takes Jabari? I think Sengun would pair better with Banchero or Smith.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We might need all teams to know we have 3 1st rounders to play with rather than 2.*

Djoo ever think of that?

DJOO EVER THINK OF THAT!?

;)

* - Maybe

Deckard and TheJuice like this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

Moving Wood was independent of Banchero.

Clutch reported that the shopping started beginning of year but no FRP was offered, this was before Rockets knew the pick be #3.

If Jabari, he played the 3 over Tate/KMJ.
    If Chet/Paolo, play at the 4 regardless. If Wood was still on the team, Wood plays the 5. If Wood traded, just means Sengun is starting. The new draftee would start at 4 regardless.

Magic and Thunder are also not overthinking anything, while open to new info; they already know their guys (Smith and Holmgreen). If slim chance, Presti goes rogue, is going for Ivey. As far as past record of wanting athletic guards like Westbrook, that was more Weaver than Presti. For Pistons, Troy again can get his hard-on as Ivey could very well fall to 5th.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

*Top 3 prospects are all bigs
    *Houston has the 3rd pick
    *Stone trades Wood because he was clearly not a part of the rebuilding plan

OP: I can't believe Stone let the cat out of the bag that we are selecting a big at #3 *cries*

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Perhaps you should go for a walk and enjoy the nice summer breeze outside.

16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Why can't pair well with Chet? He's a shot blocker which we don't have. So all this is all about you don't want Chet.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I am sure they are fine with whoever lands to them at 3; Stone can't control who they get unless he trades into 2.

I am sure Stone gauged his value around the league first before he said yes to Dallas. Dallas also can't trade back to back FRPs I believe until the new year starts because of the Stepian rule or something

D-rock likes this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Everyone knows we need a forward, before, during, and after the Wood trade. If we waited, we might have gotten less for him because the draft would be over. we don’t know what other teams offered, or were likely to offer, but all the evidence leading up to the trade suggests that Wood’s value around the league was very poor. Let’s get excited about #26 and move on. It’s over.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Maybe Stone is tricking Presti into picking Banchero so we can steal Chet

Im fine with Chet. Honestly, this should be a stress free draft.

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Exactly. I like Paolo the least. I'm still happy to get him. Before we knew we get the 3rd pick I already have a weird feeling we will be getting him.