1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I don't see how people can judge the performance of players and coaches when the organization wants them to lose. That's probably the main reason he wants to go somewhere else. I don't know of any organization that would start him, but maybe he just wants to go to a team that wants to win so that when he does play, he won't be asked to do less than what he's capable of. We don't know KJ's true value yet. He has too much untapped potential to trade right now.

DaDakota and vjohnson like this.
  2. PatBev

PatBev Member

He’s a bench player on a winning team. I like him but he’s a 6’5 forward and I have no time for that. Pick #3 & #17 should be spent on sizable forwards that are 3&D type guy.

3. anchel

anchel Member

Everybody wants to play on a winning team, but Martin signed a contract with Houston. The franchise that gave him an NBA job.
    OK to that argument, but Martin probably does not have a higher standing reach than him, and Tate has more strengths as a wing.

I always preferred PJ Tucker as a SF, but he was a superundersized PF/C here (ultimately he won a ring playing as a SF.) Anyway, we all agree he played much bigger than his size indicated... I could see Tate becoming a kind of a PJ Tucker at small forward. At least I think he deserves the chance, he's only a 2 year NBA veteran. Some people treat him like he's 32...

BTW, I agree that the Rockets should look for -at least- another wing with actual size and a reliable shot.

#403 anchel, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    abaker28 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. BasketballMind

Just because a player requests a trade doesn't mean they're ungrateful for a job in the NBA. Players have a right to request a trade if they want to. If he doesn't get traded and refuses to play, then that's another story. Yes, everyone wants to play on a winning team, but he may not want to play on a team that wants to lose. Big difference.

BHannes2BHonest and DaDakota like this.
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

KJ always had a fairly narrow path to significant NBA playing time - he is athletic but undersized for the role he slots into on the court. Ultimately his skill set is that of an NBA big or maybe a slashing 3 and d wing but at 6'7" and 215lbs that's not the body he was born into. To his credit his defense and his shooting has improved significantly but not enough to overcome a relatively short reach, light frame, a lack of speed to cover quicker guards, and a lack of weight/strength to cover bigger guys. I think he still has a good role as a situational bench guy on a good team and starts to solidify his niche but I think Houston is really looking for more generalists at this point. I would take a Jeremy Sochan over a KJ Martin or a Tate for that matter any day. I wouldn't be surprised if Houston dangled KJ in some draft day trades for future assets for a team not seeing much upside late in the draft who sees that Martin already has at least an NBA level role as a bench guy as his floor - same can't be said for a lot of guys in the draft.

BasketballMind likes this.
  6. anchel

anchel Member

He's had NBA minutes because the team "wants to lose"...

Rudyc281 and BasketballMind like this.
  7. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

So is the obvious trade here not KJ Martin + Pick 26 for Cam Reddish :)

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I like KJ, think he has a spot on most teams.

For the record, he’s not 6’5. He’s a legit 6’7 in shoes.

9. maj21

maj21 Member

No he’s not lol

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Nah. It's Gordon, KMJ, and 17 for Reddish, Rose, and 11. They can have the 26th pick too if they want it.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

NBA.com has KJM at 6'5".on his main page which apparently differs from that combine link.

Roclets yearbook, pretty sure they print it at 6'7".
    Not at home right now, but I can check the bball cards later.

It's the same situation with Green. We need Feigen and Iko to ask Stone next time. :p

I'd go with what's on NBA.com, but am hoping these other publications would correct it in future editions.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. BasketballMind

That's true, but he could go to a noncontending team and compete for the same minutes. There are many teams that didn't make the playoffs but didn't purposely lose games. Going back to what his dad said in an interview a while back. He would prefer for KJ to play on a team with players who approach the game differently. With professionalism and mentalities that will help him grow more as a person and player. Veteran leadership, which the Rockets don't have outside of Gordon (who's most likely going to get traded).

DaDakota likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He measured 6’6 at the combine barefoot, 6’7 with shoes.

15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Christian Wood + KJM for Cam Reddish?

I think that gets you fired.

jiggyfly and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’m not saying KMJ is better but with Tate already being closer to 30 than 20 I would take my chances with KMJ if I had to choose

Honestly we should trade both of them. I would honestly rather develop garuba than play either. Garuba being 6’8 alone makes me want to spend more time developing him over either of those guys

Between #17 and all the net picks, I just don’t see a future for two undersized forwards on this team. With 2023 FA, I think stone is going to drop money on a the best SF he can get his hands on

I see our roster after this next season being:

KPJ/Overpaid quality vet to help win&mentor
    Green/Christopher
    Best SF money can buy/pick #17
    Paolo/Garuba
    Sengun/quality vet(or Claxton if rumors true)

Once you start adding all the picks we have over the years I just don’t see any roster spots for KMJ or Tate

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A tweener that's too slow for guards and too small for PF. Mediocre shooting with no handles and a Lavar type dad.

PatBev likes this.