1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Ugh just seeing tilly bags under his eyes and knowing he tanked this org. Sickening.

the Westbrook trade was just the nail
    In the coffin

2. alethios

alethios Member

Not sure what stats you looked at but his defense is worse than Tate's, which is one of the reasons for him not getting starter minutes.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Check page 17 of this thread for offensive breakdown and page 18 for defensive breakdown.

He is almost across the board better than Tate.

DD

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  4. alethios

alethios Member

jiggyfly, VoR, Snow Villiers and 4 others like this.
  5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I knew this was coming. Absolute dynamite potential off the bench and our very questionable head coach thinks he isn’t worthy. Unbelievable.

KJM is easily one of our most valuable rebuilding pieces and he’s been treated like a dog

6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I’m reading through the first few pages and I’m quite honestly shocked at how low everyone is on KJM. What’s not to like? He has super role player written all over him

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

DD , I know you watched the games .

I’m a stats believer . But , I think the stats that show KMJ better are cherry picked .

what does the eye test tell you ?

to me KJ is NOWHERE near as good as Tate . He’s got flashier athleticism and got a tiny bit hotter from 3 .

he absolutley did get a chance . I’m pretty sure he played more minutes than Tate down the stretch . He isn’t as good .

Tate is still getting better too !

Tate has the defense , intangibles , handle , passing ability that kmj still needs to add .

you put Tate on a good team with guys that can communicate on D and he will be a menace and look like a Marcus smart / draymond green / Beverley type dog . Kmj is a bench player at best .

he does not look strong with the ball and doesn’t have the passing / transition game in his bag like Tate does.

Tate’s a weird combination of attributes . But I believe there’s a great winning player waiting to be unleashed / developed .

Kmj looks like JAG

jiggyfly, anchel and alethios like this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Don’t believe it. Too involved.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

he was barely drafted, I get that he’s had more success than a 50 something pick but you’re going to be treated like that. Tell me a player who was picked that late and demanded this before?

his dad is also not the smartest guy in the room.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm still lost on the drama here?

KJMjr is a 6'6 FC. If he was 6'10 he is our starting C, great. But he isn't.
    He struggles defensively, both in the post and on the perimeter. He is super bouncy, and a highlight reel with his dunks and blocks, but is not able to play the 3 spot, and (as yet) hasn't shown he really has a position other than a miniature rim-rolling/ cutting C with a halfway decent 3ball.

It is absolutely time to cash in on him while someone else still believes he is a wing. As soon as they figure out that he is a miniature 5, then he has no value.

11. Xopher

Xopher Member

I don't see the Rockets trading him in a standalone deal. It would be in a package to move up. What team would the Rockets trade up with that would actually give KJ the playing time he wants?

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

in a few years, we’ll be having this same thread about Garuba

BHannes2BHonest and TheJuice like this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

What a wide load of baloney that is, if Martin isn't contributing to wins but also feels like he somehow deserves to be on a winning team? Sounds to me like he's afraid of earning it, doing the work. The namesake is nostalgic, the highlight dunks are great but is he a starter for any team?

"I deserve to be a backup for a better team!"
    -Kenyon Martin Jr., age 21

jiggyfly and don grahamleone like this.
  14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

god damn thats a shiny head.

anyways ya'll starting to get ridiculous with these takes. you gonna give the keys over to a late second round pick in YEAR 2? what other NBA team has done this? Nikola Jokic in his second season averaged a whopping 5 more minutes a game than him and you didn't hear any trade requests. give me a freaking break.

also there is value in learning off the bench. you guys have no idea if the FO wasn't planning on feautring KMJ next year so i think it's unfair to think we would have "buried" him on the bench again. if by mid-season he isn't getting burn i think that would be the appropriate time to request a trade.

and for the advanced stat crew: i'm sure Tates metrics would look great if he was playing against the second string and not guarding the other teams best players, which happened routinely night after night.

#394 Bo6, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He has no ball handling skills. And is undersized.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  16. VoR

VoR Member

Here’s how it went.

KM: Wood is gone and they 3 first round picks and 4 Mavericks now.

KMJ: scrolls Instagram

KM: they’re going to get Banchero or Jabari and you won’t get any minutes.

KMJ: likes some girl in a bikini

KM: i don’t know why they love Tate so much.

KMJ: likes some other girl in a bikini

KM: Tari gonna take your minutes too.

KMJ: why some fool named after a video game console going to get my minutes?

KM: i been talking to Lebron . . .

snowconeman22, jcmoon and Roomba like this.
  17. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

You’re assuming that these young dudes even know what an Atari is...I forget which video I watched but it was a bunch of college kids saying they’d barely heard of an N64 and my heart sank :(

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine dreamcast and GameCube

Roomba likes this.
  19. anchel

anchel Member

LOL. I don't know where those advanced came from, but:

1. Very much doubt the data is correct.
    2. If it is, it would be a very clear example of why advanced stats out of context can be misleading.

Man, if somebody has watched the games and has a minimum understanding of the sport, is just impossible to think that Martin is even close to Tate's defensive level. Like, that's EASY to watch.

DD, Martin can't start at SF, he's just a bad bball player as a wing. No skills, no fundamentals, no defensive level.

He's a good pro and can have a career as a backup, but that's it.
    If Tate keeps improving his 3pt shot, he can actually become a winning starting SF.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Tate should be moved, This team needs bigger wings.

BHannes2BHonest, PatBev and cmoak1982 like this.