1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Whining, entitlement doesn't fly in those places. 2nd round players on their rookie deals need to put their head down earn their time.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't a bad thing - we have a logjam at the 3 with undersized SF's in Tate, Gordon, KMJ, JC, and maybe even another pick. So moving KMJ makes a lot of sense.

What can you get for KMJ, #17, and #26. Maybe throw in Gordon if someone wants him. If you can get a good pick this year or an unprotected good pick next year, that might be worth it.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Tate wasn't even drafted and he's been a starter. So if his minutes were cut to 10 and he says he thinks he deserves at least 15-20 he'd be justified because his draft status or lack thereof has nothing to do with whether or not he deserves minutes once you are on an NBA team.

Same goes for Martin. Whether or not he deserves more minutes is subjective at this point, but where he was drafted is not really relevant.
    ______

And tbh, I don't think this is all about minutes. Kenyon Sr's initial comments didn't have anything to do with playing time and were more culture based.

I think if KMj were receiving about the same minutes on a playoff or play-in team he wouldn't be as disgruntled. He'd probably play it out and wait till free agency to see if he could get a bigger role with more money. But the guy wasn't even in the rotation for the first few games last season.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Joe Lacob gave his kids FO roles -> till man can do the same

NBA should ban owners from having their kids as employees but will never do it unfortunately
    Or they could just be good or not bad in 2024?

None of these things are really pickles so much as things you are supposed to be doing anyway. I mean, trade or no trade, if the Rockets are still a bottom 4 quality team 3 full seasons into the rebuild, they are in a pickle of being horrible/having really bad luck other than just the Russ fail

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

Hey, even Hakeem threatened to leave, but he was F***ING Hall of Famer!!

KMJ just lost my respect. Package him and KPJ and move up in the draft if you can.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Geez, so we hold him accountable but not Green, or Wood, or KPJ or Mathews or......well you get the idea.

DD

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nothing wrong with him requesting a trade at all. He should actually

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

On the CH44 quote

"Gordon is likely the next one traded, but besides him surprisingly K.J. Martin is probably next out. There were serious locker room issues and probably will be next year too unless KPJ starts to figure things out."

There's mold found in the walls, if Rockets don't get rid of it, it's going to ruin the whole house.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

can KMJ + 26 + x get you 20 from SA ?

11. a time to chill

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. KJ Martin should be having these types of conversations with the front office. It's not like he's going to pull a Ben Simmons and sit out until he gets traded. IMO, the Rockets need to invest more in KJ Martin's development because I think he can be a good, reliable player long term. He put up good numbers last year despite limited minutes. There's untapped potential there.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I completely agree that Silas and Stone needed to do a better job bringing the youth into the fold sooner, however I also think Kenyon Martin Sr. is playing a big part in the angst his son is feeling. I just don't see how a stereotypical undersized 2nd rounder has the audacity to request a trade from a team that gave him his shot unless he's being pushed behind the scenes.

13. BMoney

That's an intriguing move, but a little rich for my blood considering Isaac hasn't played in two years.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Bigger problem is if he’s traded and that team loses, will he ask for another trade?

15. BMoney

The goal is to win championships. Why go through hell to be a play-in candidate next year, or draft in the middle of the 1st round with a conference semi-finals ceiling? The best way to get A+ talent is through the draft and that comes at the top. They have to tank one more year, IMO.

topfive and KingSamJack like this.
  16. a time to chill

The Mavs are already coveting KJ Martin. Probably a sign we should keep him.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/ne...ston-rockets-dallas-mavs-christian-wood-draft

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

well said

When was this? I don’t remember that one

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Reeko likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

At some point you have to stop tanking and try winning - I don't think it's unrealistic to try to win games in 23-24 when the Westbrook obligation kicks in.

20. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

He is not named Green nor Banchero, so he can go.

I have noticed a lot of times that when he was at the bench he didn't celebrate big plays from his teammates.
    Drama from his dad to push for minutes, and yet nothing so special shown other than flashy dunks.
    He is right to try and find somewhere else, but he also needs some reality check.