1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have a good day.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its also what happens when your strategy is taking best available player leading to a seriously unbalanced roster.

Too many small guys and not enough bigs makes this problem that much worse. For clarity, I get and support the best available strategy. Just saying it has some side effects.

And as things look now, there haven't been any significant moves to change that so 2023 will have some of the same issues.
    But there is a lot of off-season to go. We really need a deal(s) where we send out more players than we receive.

HTownTmac1 and KingSamJack like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

trust me Salvy, I know this all too well…his goofy ass quotes me his stupidity all across the site

cmoak1982 and Salvy like this.
  4. vator

vator Contributing Member

5. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree with the assertions. If the Rockets Org did leak it to Kelly Iko, does this help Rockets at all in negotiations with other teams? (i'm not sure it does).

Possible things that led up to this:
    1) KJ expressed to the org, he wanted more minutes or a bigger role.
    2) Stone/Silas either said: 'wait and see' or a 'NO'.
    3) Then KJ feels maybe he can get the opportunity somewhere else. (whether deservedly or delusional is up for debate.).

I'd turn the table back to Stone and Silas. How come they can't get a 52nd pick to buy in?

When KJ was in the game last two years; effort was never the issue. So it looked like he did buy in. Were things promised (like minutes), not delivered?

As we approach KJ's 3rd year, this news is a symptom that Silas/Stone could no longer get a solid bench player in KJ to buy into his role.

Getting rid of 3 lead assistant coaches (Weaver, Hornacek, Diop).
    Traded away Wood, yes more usage freed up, but likely going to our 3rd pick.
    Guys like KJ still feeling antsy

While I personally am OK with the first two shake-ups, whatever 'culture' the org is trying to promote is obviously still not enough if KJ wants out.

#265 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Aruba77 and KingSamJack like this.
  6. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Stone and Silas's issue is being to loyal to Tate @Codman already said they view Tate as untouchable so it's most likely why Tate was never going to lose his spot in the starting line up.

7. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

KJ should be tried to move to a 3 spot which is the biggest hole on our roster after we take one of the top 3 bigs and there’s certainly minutes there.

Personally, I’m good with moving on from Gordon and Tate to make way for KJ’s minutes.

He’s crazy talented and would be a great 6th man some day.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

whatever source this is added that part about Kenyon Sr just so that people could clown him

I’m sure Kenyon thinks highly of his son and wants more PT for him, but 30 a night sounds like it was made up

vator likes this.
  9. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

This guy has the most minutes played of any 2nd rounder from that draft. There's not even that many teams he'd get this many minutes on, much less be a starter on. If his ego is that big, I'd honestly just stay get him out of here. I'd rather someone who wants to be here like Tate.

I'm guessing a lot of it is his dad in his ear which is sad but whatever. There's lots of wings I like at 17 and 26 and trading him just opens up more playing time. Maybe dangle him to add in a trade-up.

jiggyfly, theDude and KingSamJack like this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The stats from the 8 games he started last year are pretty worthless. The Rockets had only 7 or 8 players dressing during that stretch. It wasn’t a real team. All of the scrubs were getting inflated stats out of pity from the other teams.

JayZ750 likes this.
  11. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I want roy Harper Jr to replace him.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Draft another blue chip player by packaging EG, KJ and picks.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think the locker room issues were obvious.
    KPJ isn't a good guy to have around if you are going to let him do whatever he wants.
    I said it last year, but the suspension him and wood received was a joke.
    Especially for a guy to leave at half time of a game. That shows a complete lack of awareness, maturity and character.

Maybe he grows up, but my issue was with how the Rockets handled it. They needed to lay down the hammer just to show other guys that no matter who you are you will be held accountable. They didn't and I'm sure the guys felt it wasn't fair for them to bust their ass and do everything the right way and to have KPJ and Wood do what they did and not even be all that great, and not receive a reduction in their status. One game suspension, and now everything back to normal.

Not to mention the other KPJ incident where he wouldn't leave the game.

This cannot be your floor general.

So yeah, he needs to figure things out in a hurry and show markedly better decision making all around or he needs to be gone ASAP. He is poisoning the well.

14. TimDuncanDonaut

I did see that . Only so many minutes to go around. If that was the case, was there a breakdown in communication between the coach and player about playing time.

As a coach, if you know you are committed to another guy and can't play the reserves as much, I think the language and expectations should be clear. From starters to reserves; there shouldn't be 'false hope'. Maybe Silas did do that, and it was daddy Sr. who planted a bug in KJ's ear. But whoever it is; KJ and the Org aren't on the same page.

• "The earning for minutes" meritocracy, does KJ think he's not on a level playing field. Preferring Tate, or preferring Seattle guys... preferring whatever other reasons ...etc
    • Wood/KPJ locker room issues? When people mess up, like breaking team rules, lightly punished. Appearance of preferential treatment.

#274 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Back in April, his dad did mention San Antonio and New Orleans among the teams he liked and how they approach the game. New Orleans has the #8 pick and San Antonio has about 3 picks in the first round, the last I looked. Does Brooklyn have any picks left in this decade? They're on the cusp of a championship. Let's get to work on finding this future HOF'er a new home guys!

“When you look at teams like Milwaukee, Brooklyn, San Antonio, Miami, Phoenix, even New Orleans… how they approach the game and play, I would love for him to be in a situation where people approach every situation like that, and help their young guys get better,” Martin Sr. said.

DaDakota and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I hate NBA players with delusional dads.

red5rocket likes this.
  17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Respect the tank game man. Stone gawt this!!!

18. Fantasma Negro

They should go ahead and trade him, he's not outplaying Tari Eason if he's drafted and he's not a better defender or passer than Tate. Better to do it now before his dad starts to bring bad press next season when he's probably going to be playing behind a rookie

19. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I think you need to say this again, he was passed on 51 times we brought a pick just to get him also going back and looking at all the people from the second round none of them are playing as much as Him we allowed him to show case his skills.

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Rockets are in a pickle because of their ruinous Westbrook for Paul trade. Since they owe OKC next year's pick, they *must* tank one more year to get another impact player and limit their acquisitions to save cash space for the next off-season to balance their roster.