1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Disney+] Star Wars: Obi-wan Kenobi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

She last episode literally said he killed all of her padawan friends, iirc.

Grand inquisitor said it's about intense rage&revenge having kept them alive.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

paint by numbers put it in the corner. let it gather some dust then throw away.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, it's hard to argue against the reason why these shows are being revived other than to glue eyes on D+ for 6+ hours.

It's not like it's because these are 20 year icons that deserved a do over. Or the lamer reason of "setting things right" for fans.

Those suckers should buy and watch what the execs tell them to.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

So nobody in the empire dies? They are all raging. She's been light sabered twice now by a killing machine.

tinman likes this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea it's abysmal plot-writing unfortunately, could've done it different if they are hell-bent on putting her in a spin-off.

tinman likes this.
  6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finally watched episode 5 over the weekend. Man, I hated so much about this episode outside of the last few minutes. Gonna rant for a while in spoilers...
    • Every single plan that anyone has makes absolutely no ****ing sense. They're gonna seal the doors and try and hold out until they can re-open the hatch above and fly away? Sure, that makes perfect sense until you remember that there is a freaking star destroyer up in orbit. You know, that ship that has been shown in prior Star Wars movies to have a tractor beam? Also to be really freaking effective in battle and to carry huge swaths of TIE fighters. There should be NO WAY a single transport gets off that planet if the Star Destroyer knows they are there and is watching.
    • The battle is unbelievably stupid. The way the stormtroopers just slowly shuffle forward, firing at seemingly nothing. I know there is a long canon of stormtroopers being ineffective in fights, but this episode took it to new levels. During that initial skirmish when the doors are cut open by Reva, like one old man dies. There was like 60-70 stormtroopers all firing into the same small space! Obi Wan is spinning his light saber but he ain't blocking every single one of those. And despite that, somehow no one gets shot except for like one old man and that is after the storm troopers have literally gotten all the way into that little foyer, and are right next to him. I have no idea what he was thinking. Maybe that he was ready to not be in this show anymore.
    • So they retreat again and we get the very familiar trope of the helpful droid that sacrifices itself to help the good guys...only in this show they didn't really develop the voiceless droid like they did in Rogue One where that moment was incredibly impactful. So whatever, droid dies acting as a shield to Tala and then she reveals...that she had a freaking thermal detonator the whole time?! An incredibly destructive bomb that would have worked WONDERS had she thrown it the moment those doors opened and all the stormtroopers were gathered together at the entrance? Instead she waits until she is dying and just kills a few of them, and herself. Kind of ruins the noble sacrifice thing when everything about it is stupid.
    • Everything about Obi Wan/Reva's plan is completely non-sensical. There is never any real point where they have Vader at any kind of disadvantage, and if anyone really thought he wasn't going to see that attack coming they are idiots.
    • And when in the hell did Vader become so powerful that he could pull huge transport ships out of the sky? Was that a comic/video game thing that I didn't know about? There a PLENTY of times in the original trilogy when that kind of power would have been REALLY useful were he actually that capable? And then why could he do that on the decoy ship but not the real one? They were right next to each other! So freaking stupid.
    • Fight between Vader and Reva was absolutely money. I will always enjoy seeing Vader just effortlessly dominate people. This whole episode would have been so much better if instead of a squadron of stormtroopers, it was just Vader and Reva that came down and wrecked shop.
    • Leia child actress continues to be horrible and annoying, but I guess that ain't changing.
    • I never want to see Hayden Christianson's Anakin ever again. He was a mistake in the prequels, and continues to be a mistake now. Having him in small, non-speaking moments like him stalking into the Jedi school looking sort of menacing works. But the flashback lightsaber fight with him and Obi Wan somehow succeeded in making a lightsaber duel boring. That shouldn't be possible. Also the old face with makeup trying to de-age Hayden looked bad. I hate the computer graphic de-aging technology and I don't think it would have been better, but they should have found a way to film that scene so that we didn't get so many clear, well it views of Anakin's face. It was very distracting.
    I guess I'm done for now. If this show had more than one episode left I'm not sure I would finish it. I probably would. But this has been so much more of a slog than it needed to be. And so much of it could have been fixed really, really easily.

jo mama, Cokebabies, BigM and 2 others like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I laughed at the

"these people have been waiting for weeks to evacuate!" okay...now that we're ready to go and are in just a bit of a hurry because of the whole 'the Empire is coming' thing..."let's all rearrange our belongings before we get on the ship"

Invisible Fan and Caesar like this.
  8. val_modus

val_modus Member

This is one of the worst tv shows I’ve watched in some time, and I’m a pretty decent Star Wars fan that’ll bite at the nostalgia berries.

Everything Disney plus continues to put out pales in comparison with the likes of HBO/Amazon/a few Hulu shows in terms of developing characters that are dynamic and interesting, and any kind of interesting plot with a resonant theme. 4/10.

Caesar likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Disagree Baby Yoda does

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finale was dumb
    We all know who lives breh
    @Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

obi ded

tinman likes this.
  12. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

This last episode should have been a theatrically released movie (combined with the last one). This was THE Star Wars content we have all been wanting and waiting for, for years. Sucks that the other episodes felt like filler, but THIS WAS IT. That finale was so damn well done. This bridged the gap between the Prequel and Original Trilogy masterfully.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah the finale was great. At this point in my Star Wars fandom i'm over the spectacle of force use and lightsaber fights. What i really like are the small moments. Luke walking up the steps and posing before igniting his lightsaber and Vaders ignites slowly. Vader in ROTJ looking back and forth at the empeor and luke.
    The scene where we finally get a bridge of Anakin hiding his identity with the voice changer was so well done, that entire sequence hit HARD. Had a very dr frankenstein and his monster feel to it- much more so than that scene in Ep. III that ended up looking corny. I tuned in just for those emotional moments. Hayden absolutely killed it. His voice has matured and deepened quite a bit which actually works well here(that was his real voice with the machine James Earl Jones voice cutting in and out. Amazingly well done. That scene is now one of my favorites since the OT along with some grogu/luke scenes from Mando series.

-I still wish there was more classic music to heighten the emotions further.

-Emperor looking small on the holo was such a missed opportunity to show him as a massive holo towering over Vader showing Vader is still his subordinate/slave-think the scene in ESB. Instead we get Vader sitting on the throne looking like the king and the emperor just some little peasant or like the kings advisor. Vader should have gotten up and bent the knee. Tiny over looked details like that annoy me so much.

-Wow. Reva redeems herself with an outstanding performance. I've seen people claiming she's a great actress and she finally showed it by being in her element during emotional scenes. The screaming and trying to be intimidating is just not her strong suit and came across as cringe bad delivery. Her vocal range just doesn't work with that type of acting. Her character development is good in theory but she was so annoying most of it that it probably still doesn't work for others and the decision to let her live paid off only at the cost of Vader being diminished by failing to kill her twice. I'm not sure what you can really do with her in her own spin off series. Have her become like Jedi Fallen Order character Cere who cuts herself off from the force and goes around the galaxy helping force sensitives escape and into hiding? Small Scale story. Opportunity to explore new planets and get creative?

-Overall, even though this episode hit hard, the entire series is basically a fast forward to obi wan and vader scenes which means youtube clips of just their scenes will get more clicks than these episodes will be rewatched.

-Obi-Wan finding his power all at once could have been done better as in gradual increase each episode.

-They could have done a better job of Obi Wan force throwing rocks at Vader and Vader not being able to easily just stop the boulders with the force and throw them back or deflect. Come on. Here: Writers take note. *Vader confidently keeps sticking his off hand out to use the force to block Obi-Wan's strikes, but Obi-Wan gets a hit. Stabs through Vaders mechanical hand-force pushes him back crashing into a larger boulder. Camera pans to Vader as he's staring at his mechanical hand(sparks) in a sort of ptsd trance- Obi-wan takes opportunity to force throw boulders at Vader while he's distracted. Vader lifts his saber to block his face only more occupied by the hand-then Obi wan continues to take advantage of his distraction. That's how you even out power levels.

-Leia and Obi-Wan tie in with being careful works well enough to keep canon safe. Good enough for me.

Is it me or was this series really crappy visually? Cgi was weak, but i'm talking about the camera focus and 4k HDR quality. Blacks are crushed and nasty looking. Just really disappointing quality.
    Artistically speaking, i think the cinematography had lots of hits and misses. Some scenes felt very cinematic, others felt so cheap tv production like. Reshoots? CGI of course was bad, but visually i loved the color palette of the whole series. Much closer to the OT. OT used lots of earth colors and the contrast of the lightsaber colors worked so well. Created a sort of magical feel to it that this series recaptures. The PT is so colorful and a million neon lightsabers swinging around everywhere looked so corny and robbed it of it's magic. Close personal samurai like duels are where you use lightsabers. Save that other stuff for video games and comic books.
    I like the use of darkly lit scenes but it was used so poorly and amateur like- look at the way Robert Eggers shoots dark lit scenes in The Northman. That's cinematic and professional.

Jontro and tinman like this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Left a lot to be desired

tinman, Invisible Fan and Jontro like this.
  15. Beezy

Beezy Member

The final 2 episodes were pretty good. If the whole series had been at about that level, I'd have a much higher opinion of the show, but the first 2/3 really dragged it down.

I agree that the show doesn't look particularly great. Apparently Andor was all shot on location, so it might have a more cinematic look.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

obi couldn’t even deliver his hello there correctly

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I reeeeeaally enjoyed the finale.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Getting light saber stabbed then making to Tatuienne faster than everyone else on spaceships is amazing
    @Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It was a good final episode, but started getting annoyed that the middle three episodes didn't mean a thing. You compress this into a 3.5 hour miniseries and there'd be a big 2 point boost on a scale of 10 (7.5).

Didn't really need to spend all that time feeling and rooting for broken obi wan to get out of his funk. That's not the obi wan anyone ever cared about or wondered how he recovered. Was like watching him take a three hour dump. I'm even wondering why kids or whatever inclusive audience they want would care about that crap.

I guess they could bring some characters back in a season 2, retcon his role in building the resistance...bo-ring.

Set the resistance as something already up and running with him a cleaner or fixer. Get his ghost friends to send him on missions on the road to rebuild the 10k year old Jedi order.

It wouldn't match up or make any sense with the movies but it'd be damn fun to watch. They can even bring up his own survivors guilt for letting Anakin get away as long as he shrugs it off at the end of the hour.

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Obi should consider actually killing his enemies.

Entropy and Jontro like this.