1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DeBeards, BallSoHarden, Hui and 25 others like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Odd man out.

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

I recall very vividly a few people here saying that I was overreacting to his dad’s comments about KJ’s playing time, the coaching and the organization. I guess not.

4. Rochut

Rochut Member

I don't blame him. He should have been starting half the games last season.
    He would be nice running at the 3 spot in the coming season too.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

ch just said this.

• With the reality of the incoming No. 3 pick and possibly more, second-year forward Kenyon Martin Jr. recently approached Rockets management to discuss the possibility of a trade from the franchise, sources said. The nature of the conversation was candid. With the potential moves following Thursday’s draft, the sudden reality is there isn’t as clear of a path to minutes for Martin in the rotation. It must be stated that there’s no bad blood between the two parties. Having taken Martin in the second round of the 2020 draft and helping him achieve his NBA dream, there will always be a great amount of love and mutual respect. But Martin is at a stage in his career where he needs minutes to continue to develop, something which might not be as clear anymore in Houston. There are a number of teams — playoff contenders included — that have registered interest in Martin in the past, sources said, with his combination of age, athleticism and untapped potential deemed as attractive.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Can't blame him, he should have been starting but Stone failed to dump Wood and Gordon so they ate up playing time that should have gone to more deserving players.

This is the result of that failure

Hui, BigggReddd, bcast89 and 24 others like this.
  7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

8. DaDakota

To me this is 100% a failure by Silas - we played Garrison Mathews off the scrap heap in a tanking year instead of KMJ who has a much higher ceiling.

DD

9. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

luckyman76, D-rock, sirjesse and 2 others like this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Would rather have him than Tate, but if he turns 17 into a late lottery pick so be it.

Unless of course Tate is out the door in a trade already and Martin is worried about being pushed behind a rookie swingman, not a bad problem to have.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I have talked about this a number of times going back a year and a half. While playing time is a big part of this, it isn't the only reason. Another big part of this is the issues in the locker room and on the court. Players have been sick of the drama and negativity of Wood and Porter and later Schroeder. Even when these guys were not getting into it with their teammates, they were getting into it with coaches or were late or leaving practice early.

It just wasn't one of the more positive places to play or work and too much attention was given to by coaches to a small group of guys.

aaquaa, BigggReddd, SWTsig and 40 others like this.
  13. vator

vator Contributing Member

Seriously JR. I think I’m a fairly positive and optimistic fan most of the time unless I’m just trolling for entertainment purposes, but some things just grab my attention. People are so quick to burry their head in the sand if the information or news comes out that is not to their liking.

I base how I’m going to perceive things by the source. Is it credible? Well the source doesn’t get much more damn credible than a person’s dad that talks to him every day and comes to the majority of his games.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

what about the coach playing Gordon?

D-rock likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

I understand, but he’s on too good of a contract to just move.

Corrosion, BallSoHarden and fattz like this.
  16. DaDakota

I can see Wood, but all I hear about Porter is positive - even @Clutch says KPJ is well loved in the locker room.

DD

vince, Sonicbun8, roslolian and 4 others like this.
  17. DaDakota

Same thing, should have been traded to open up playing time for KMJ and Christopher.

DD

18. 18pbr

18pbr Member

I don’t think KJ earned enough equity yet to be asking for a trade that soon. He just finished his second year and was getting minutes. Sometimes you better be careful what you wish for. I remember his dad saying he wish he was in a winning environment like the suns or bucks. Yeah but he may not play at all if that happens.

BallSoHarden, vince, kdchilds and 9 others like this.
  19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Uh a 2nd round player making demands now? Lol…
    Sit your ass down kid.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Gordon is likely the next one traded, but besides him surprisingly K.J. Martin is probably next out. There were serious locker room issues and probably will be next year too unless KPJ starts to figure things out.

yeah get rid of this guy. Draft a good defensive PG with size and a brain this draft or next. And move on

fattz, REEKO_HTOWN and jcmoon like this.