1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets have been trying to trade Christian Wood since the 2021 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 19, 2022.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He will be good this year because it’s the final year of his contract but Dallas can’t afford him anyway

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Think of it like this. Rockets gave us a 2nd round pick to get CWood and now get a 1st rounder back. All and all, he represents an upgrade.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

As long as we never resign him in the future, I could less what we got for his stats.

BamBam, don grahamleone and Patience like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The Rockets seemed to be following the asset management blueprint, and having been trying to trade Wood all year, reinforces that theory. Kudos to them for getting that right but....

The Olidipo debacle is still just odd. What were they thinking with that deal and extension offer.

Reeks of Fertita idiocy.

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I could defend the Oladipo trade in a vacuum. What I can’t defend, however, is trading for Dipo AND trading away Allen. Either commit to the retool or the rebuild.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

I think part of this trade is helping turn around the perception that Morey's revolving player door built that we just view players as assets. We sent Wood to a good situation where he will thrive and if not get a good contract in Dallas a good contract elsewhere and he is in a win now place too. It was a win win trade, we get a pick but Wood goes to a place he will probably be excited about and is good for his career. It seems like we've done a lot of "nice" to player deals. Hopefully that will make us more attractive to free agents once we have a rebuilt team and tons of cap space.

don grahamleone and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Glad Wood is gone! That’s all I have….

Go Rockets!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

LOL

I'm sure it's a combination of all the above. Except, Cuban ain't worried about no luxury tax.

9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Wood was way overrated by many on here. He was a numbers chaser but did little else to contribute towards winning. 26 is fair value on a one year rental.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Definitely think part of the reason the "asset management" column has been less than inspiring is due to the tear down. The rebuilding has seemingly gone well (draft picks). Getting off those contracts and out of the past hasn't been easy and that's shown up in spades.

That said, Wood for 26 and Boban isn't bad. My god he did everything to cry, whine and play half ass basketball all season you might even call it a win.

Dacamel likes this.
  11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

It was a joke poking at DD :D

Believe It! likes this.
  12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

KPJ may have bought himself some time with his play finishing out last year....but do not think for a second Stone isn't exploring options in a similar way.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

People here thinks other GM are just idiots. Wood has been on like 10 teams, teams know what he's about and wasn't offering shet for him

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

They also gave a 1st rd pick for a heavily protected one that will either not convey or take forever to convey.

Our transactions with Christian Wood were pretty much a wash, same as Theis. We should get better use of our assets like our cap space.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’d be a great time to move Tate. He has value particularly when paired with the 17 and/or 26. Would love to walk away from this draft with one of the big 3 and Griffin.

fattz, Rudyc281 and Aruba77 like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It would be awesome to focus on exclusively developing Griffin and KJ at the 3. Primarily a 4-guard rotation of KPJ-Green-Christopher-Garrison. And a 3-man front court rotation of Sengun-Paolo-Garuba. Just play these 8 guys as much as possible and see what happens!

huge tank but huge development ;)

TheJuice, fattz, BigM and 1 other person like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree with the entire article, there is just one thing that isn't mentioned that will hopefully turn out to be the biggest win: more playing time to develop Sengun.

18. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Great article and critique. A real indictment on asset management is that somehow Indiana got two firsts for LeVert. Understand that Wood's trade value was low, but this team should be thinking trade value and capitalizing on assets instead of holding on too long (which appears to be what has happened with Eric Gordon, but time will tell I suppose).

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Woods value was #26. It is now finite. I think he will be very good for Dallas and he may even end up a franchise changing role player later in his career when he is humbled. I am super glad he off the team.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

More like "should never have bothered with him in the first place" - his value is nothing now, was nothing when we traded him, and was very close to that when they acquired him in some misbegotten "let's reload AND rebuild" style trade.

He was trending downard in Indiana, got hurt, and then basically became a replacement level player which he still is. I know there's more hindsight now to say he will never get back to all-star form, but, the warning signs were already there when the Rockets acquired him.

#40 SamFisher, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    luckyman76 likes this.