1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glaring hole at starting SF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 19, 2022.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think pretty clearly we should be targeting a starting SF with the rest of our draft assets after #3. Assuming the noise is true and we take Paolo, this SF needs to be a fit next to him and Green. That means 3 and D with an emphasis on defense. There's only two players that fit this mold, both are defensive SFs but still developing their 3pt shots, Sochan and Beauchamp. Sochan is going to go above the Rockets draft range and it will probably be too hard to move up. Beauchamp has worked out and has been connected to the Rockets, I think it's pretty obvious that's who we are targeting. This guy went to the same high school as Kpj, another Seattle kid, 7'1 wing span, disruptive defender in the same mold as a Mikal Bridges. He shot 40% from 3 in 12 games at community college a year ago. He shot 35% from 3 in the 9 games of g league exhibition. But he only shot 24% from 3 in the 12 games at g league show case cup. Small and noisy sample, how he develops as a shooter at the next level will definitely be his swing skill.

Some other names - Griffin is a good shooter but horrendous on defense. Eason is PF not a wing defender. Ousmane Dieng and Jalen Williams are playmaking wings not defenders.

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Isn’t Sochan more of a PF and Eason more a SF? Eason is the better shooter (36% vs. 30% on threes) and is a little smaller.

roslolian, RudyTBag, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Its their play styles, especially defensively, Sochan can guard the perimeter better, Eason better interior shot blocker. Also for their 3pt shooting, Sochan is much younger than Eason. But again I don't think the Rockets have a chance to draft Sochan so it's a moot point.

#3 CXbby, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Sochan or Eason would be a fine option. I'd like to use all three picks and go Banchero/Eason/MBC.

A lot of youth but other than defensive big, we have a rotation now that has some strong defenders.

5. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Hopefully that player will come out of a EG trade.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I wouldn’t be disappointed if Beauchamp was who we ended up with at 17; especially because I do trust our scouting. He certainly has the measurables and play defense.

but I’m still hoping we can move up and get someone especial. I agree that Sochan and Eason are good targets too. I’ll add EJ Lidell to that mix as well; I think he can play the 3/4 in the nba.

even though he isn’t a great defender yet, Griffin is the guy who has a chance to be a special wing in this draft.

TheJuice, D-rock, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Or we could address SF through free agency or trade. How about Andrew Wiggins? In the early stage of his prime, just performed great in the Finals. Championship experience.

8. VoR

VoR Member

Organization loves Tate and we can play KPJ there if need be.

RudyTBag and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think I'd rather have Caleb Houston or Jalen Williams.

Problem then becomes what do you do with the 26th pick? I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing if you took a G League stash guy like Jovic.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no need to draft for long term fit at this point. We are not going to win next year so why try to plug a hole? We will have two picks in the 2023 draft and a large amount of cap space to address the wing position when it matters. For now, BPA BPA BPA. I don't care if the BPA is a 6'5" score-first athletic shooting guard at this point honestly, just take the talent regardless.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like all your points, but I don't know if AJ can become a special wing. You probably know more about him than me. I don't trust players with a history of injuries.

D-rock and r-fan-since-81 like this.
  12. kpdark

kpdark Member

If we can't get Eason, trading for proven 3&D players with at least three seasons in could be the option.

Rudyc281 and Aruba77 like this.
  13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He would be perfect but you would have to give him a max contract to pry him away from the warrriors.

He was their 2nd best player this year.

I think if you look around the league you have to pay an arm and a leg to get a quality veteran SF, basically star money. I'd rather build with a defensive wing through the draft and let him see the pecking order so he's not asking for Jalen Green money a few years from now.

14. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

No Rockets are one season away from being in the playoff picture don't pay max money to Wiggins, Once Victor Wembanyama is on the team you can start thinking about filling out the roster.

D-rock, Rudyc281 and RocketsTerps like this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

im not in love with everything about him, and the injury history is indeed a concern, but here’s why I think he’s worth gambling on:

he’s still 18, so he truly does have a chance to shake that injury label and get stronger and healthier.

he has an elite skill: shooting. He’s the 2nd best shooter in this draft.

im also a sucker for long arms, and while I wish he was an inch or two taller, his wingspan allows him to be legit size for a wing.

he’s a very smart player who takes care of the ball, has some play making ability, and is great playing without the ball.

I would be super excited if we could move up to get him. I’m not talking about gambling on him at #7, I’m talking about if he’s there at #11. He’s gonna be one of the players in this draft that teams look back on and regret not having him higher on their board.

DreamR and D-rock like this.
  16. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

None of the wings available in this draft can contribute for more than 20 minutes per game in their rookie season.

As of right now, Eric Gordon is the starting SF, KJ Martin is the backup, the Rockets can slide Tate at the SF or play with 3 guards in certain situations, and whichever wing player is drafted will spend the first few months of the season in the G League.

Any changes to the rotation depend on Gordon being traded.

DrNuegebauer and KingSamJack like this.
  17. Asian Sensation

Wiggins is awesome for the Warriors because it’s the Warriors. I don’t trust that he’d be awesome for us of anybody else. I’m not trying to pay him the Max to find out.

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Likely Eason or Beuchamp according to Clutch

19. saleem

That's fine with me.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. saleem

I wish Victor wasn't skinny. He's pretty awesome though.

D-rock likes this.